Re: Help! with conversions

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "meaux82" <meaux82@...> wrote:

      > So Im probably going to ask a dumb question...
      >
      > I have tried all the programs on here to convert Micro Perfect files
      > to Word on a MAC and they dont work. Help!

      Not a dumb question, but one that doesn't provide an absolutely essential piece of
      information:

      Are you trying to convert files created by "WordPerfect for the Mac" or files created by
      "WordPerfect for Windows" or by "WordPerfect for DOS"? If the files were originally created
      on a Windows (or DOS) computer, then the answer will be very different from the answer if
      the files were created on a Mac.

      John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009

        > John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?

        Yes it does, plus excellent conversion guides by Jonathan Busch
        and Smokey Ardisson.

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@>
          wrote:

          > > John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?
          >
          > Yes it does, plus excellent conversion guides by Jonathan Busch
          > and Smokey Ardisson.

          Ah, I see, yes. But those methods all assume that the
          goal is to edit the WPWin/DOS files in WPMac. However,
          I think it's possible that the original question may
          have meant something more like this: "I have files
          that I created in WordPerfect for Windows (or DOS)
          and I want to use them on a Mac. What is the simplest
          way to do that?"

          The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
          use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
          Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
          software written for OS X. I don't think it's
          practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
          or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
          WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
          to answer the question here:

          http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html#wordformac
        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
            On Tue Feb 3, 2009 6:17 am ((PST)), "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:

            >I think it's possible that the original question may
            >have meant something more like this: "I have files
            >that I created in WordPerfect for Windows (or DOS)
            >and I want to use them on a Mac. What is the simplest
            >way to do that?"

            [...]
            >WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
            >to answer the question here:
            >
            >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html#wordformac

            Note that OpenOffice.org is not officially available (nor, to my
            understanding, supported) on PPC Macs; there are community builds
            that you can find if you know where to look, but the download system
            won't provide you with a download if you visit
            download.openoffice.org with a PPC Mac (I just checked). Anyone with
            a PPC Mac would either need to hunt around for the community builds,
            or use NeoOffice instead, which officially supports both PPC and
            Intel: http://www.neooffice.org/

            (Disclaimer: I have been, for a long time, a member of the
            community-staffed NeoOffice support team.)

            Smokey
          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
              On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
              > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
              > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
              > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
              > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
              > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
              > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
              > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
              > to answer the question here:

              You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
              That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
              list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
              It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
              involved.

              I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
              become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
              almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
              emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
              something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
              numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
              longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
              software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
              meantime, don't forget us.

              Rick Albright
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

                > On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                > > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
                > > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
                > > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
                > > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
                > > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
                > > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
                > > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
                > > to answer the question here:
                > >
                > You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
                > That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
                > list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
                > It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
                > involved.
                >
                > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                > emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                > software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
                > meantime, don't forget us.

                I guess some of us are hoping that the person who asked the
                original question would tell us (1) what kind of Mac is
                involved and (2) whether the "Micro Perfect" files referred
                to in the question were created in WordPerfect for the Mac
                or WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, or whether
                "Micro Perfect" was supposed to mean something else entirely.
              • David Patterson
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                  "I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                  become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                  almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                  emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                  something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                  numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                  longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                  software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
                  meantime, don't forget us.

                  Rick Albright"

                  I'll go for that. I use WP on my old G3 to create documents. I also use
                  Show Codes to clean up formatting in other documents.
                  If I must transmit the results to others, I just paste the contents into
                  a Word document and send it to those poor souls who are crippled by
                  using a PC.
                  If the discussion in this news letter is about Sheepshaver I delete it.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

                    > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                    > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                    > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                    > emulators.

                    The list may be focusing on SS and BL for the moment probably
                    because these are relatively less-known machine configurations and
                    need more attention at this point and, at the same time, support
                    the newer OS and hardware that offer other advantages. At some
                    point, I think soon, we will all be comfortable with emulators, and
                    pay more attention to more general topics.

                    > I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                    > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                    > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                    > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                    > software that is quite venerable by software standards).

                    We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, and plan to
                    continue using the best word processing program ever written.
                    BTW, it's faster and more stable than at any point in its history.

                    > In the meantime, don't forget us.

                    No worries!

                    John R.
                  • John Kaufmann
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                      In a message dated 2009.02.06 01:25 -0500, John Rethorst wrote:

                      > We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, ...

                      ;-)¬°Good! I'd miss your posts... and invaluable contribution to the WP world.

                      > and plan to continue using the best word processing program ever written.

                      Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                      --
                      John
                    • David Patterson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                        >>Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                        --
                        John<<

                        That's where I started, WP5.1 in college. I fell in love with using the
                        keyboard shortcuts, not having to move my hands from the keyboard.
                        Of course this was under DOS, but once I moved to a GUI it was a real
                        time saver.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                          Some of us still use those shortcuts in WPMac - Shift-F7 to print, anyone?

                          Geoff