Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Help! with conversions

Expand Messages
  • John Rethorst
    ... Um . . . instead of Micro Perfect I guess you mean WordPerfect. If so, see the Conversions folder in the Files section here. You can convert WordPerfect
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2009
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "meaux82" <meaux82@...> wrote:

      > I have tried all the programs on here to convert Micro Perfect files
      > to Word on a MAC and they dont work. Help!

      Um . . . instead of Micro Perfect I guess you mean WordPerfect.

      If so, see the Conversions folder in the Files section here. You can convert
      WordPerfect Mac or PC files to Word Mac version 6, which all later
      versions of Word can read. These conversions all come with instructions.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      ... Not a dumb question, but one that doesn t provide an absolutely essential piece of information: Are you trying to convert files created by WordPerfect for
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "meaux82" <meaux82@...> wrote:
        >
        > So Im probably going to ask a dumb question...
        >
        > I have tried all the programs on here to convert Micro Perfect files
        > to Word on a MAC and they dont work. Help!

        Not a dumb question, but one that doesn't provide an absolutely essential piece of
        information:

        Are you trying to convert files created by "WordPerfect for the Mac" or files created by
        "WordPerfect for Windows" or by "WordPerfect for DOS"? If the files were originally created
        on a Windows (or DOS) computer, then the answer will be very different from the answer if
        the files were created on a Mac.

        John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?
      • John Rethorst
        ... Yes it does, plus excellent conversion guides by Jonathan Busch and Smokey Ardisson. John R.
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:

          > John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?

          Yes it does, plus excellent conversion guides by Jonathan Busch
          and Smokey Ardisson.

          John R.
        • Edward Mendelson
          ... Ah, I see, yes. But those methods all assume that the goal is to edit the WPWin/DOS files in WPMac. However, I think it s possible that the original
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@>
            wrote:
            >
            > > John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?
            >
            > Yes it does, plus excellent conversion guides by Jonathan Busch
            > and Smokey Ardisson.

            Ah, I see, yes. But those methods all assume that the
            goal is to edit the WPWin/DOS files in WPMac. However,
            I think it's possible that the original question may
            have meant something more like this: "I have files
            that I created in WordPerfect for Windows (or DOS)
            and I want to use them on a Mac. What is the simplest
            way to do that?"

            The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
            use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
            Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
            software written for OS X. I don't think it's
            practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
            or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
            WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
            to answer the question here:

            http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html#wordformac
          • Smokey Ardisson
            ... [...] ... Note that OpenOffice.org is not officially available (nor, to my understanding, supported) on PPC Macs; there are community builds that you can
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
              On Tue Feb 3, 2009 6:17 am ((PST)), "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:

              >I think it's possible that the original question may
              >have meant something more like this: "I have files
              >that I created in WordPerfect for Windows (or DOS)
              >and I want to use them on a Mac. What is the simplest
              >way to do that?"
              >
              [...]
              >WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
              >to answer the question here:
              >
              >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html#wordformac

              Note that OpenOffice.org is not officially available (nor, to my
              understanding, supported) on PPC Macs; there are community builds
              that you can find if you know where to look, but the download system
              won't provide you with a download if you visit
              download.openoffice.org with a PPC Mac (I just checked). Anyone with
              a PPC Mac would either need to hunt around for the community builds,
              or use NeoOffice instead, which officially supports both PPC and
              Intel: http://www.neooffice.org/

              (Disclaimer: I have been, for a long time, a member of the
              community-staffed NeoOffice support team.)

              Smokey
            • Rick Albright
              ... You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac. That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this list do so, some of
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
                On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
                > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
                > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
                > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
                > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
                > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
                > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
                > to answer the question here:
                >
                You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
                That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
                list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
                It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
                involved.

                I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
                meantime, don't forget us.

                Rick Albright
              • Edward Mendelson
                ... I guess some of us are hoping that the person who asked the original question would tell us (1) what kind of Mac is involved and (2) whether the Micro
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                  > > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
                  > > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
                  > > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
                  > > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
                  > > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
                  > > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
                  > > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
                  > > to answer the question here:
                  > >
                  > You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
                  > That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
                  > list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
                  > It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
                  > involved.
                  >
                  > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                  > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                  > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                  > emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                  > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                  > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                  > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                  > software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
                  > meantime, don't forget us.

                  I guess some of us are hoping that the person who asked the
                  original question would tell us (1) what kind of Mac is
                  involved and (2) whether the "Micro Perfect" files referred
                  to in the question were created in WordPerfect for the Mac
                  or WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, or whether
                  "Micro Perfect" was supposed to mean something else entirely.
                • David Patterson
                  I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I almost never see a query any
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                    "I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                    become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                    almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                    emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                    something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                    numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                    longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                    software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
                    meantime, don't forget us.

                    Rick Albright"

                    I'll go for that. I use WP on my old G3 to create documents. I also use
                    Show Codes to clean up formatting in other documents.
                    If I must transmit the results to others, I just paste the contents into
                    a Word document and send it to those poor souls who are crippled by
                    using a PC.
                    If the discussion in this news letter is about Sheepshaver I delete it.
                  • John Rethorst
                    ... The list may be focusing on SS and BL for the moment probably because these are relatively less-known machine configurations and need more attention at
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:

                      > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                      > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                      > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                      > emulators.

                      The list may be focusing on SS and BL for the moment probably
                      because these are relatively less-known machine configurations and
                      need more attention at this point and, at the same time, support
                      the newer OS and hardware that offer other advantages. At some
                      point, I think soon, we will all be comfortable with emulators, and
                      pay more attention to more general topics.

                      > I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                      > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                      > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                      > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                      > software that is quite venerable by software standards).

                      We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, and plan to
                      continue using the best word processing program ever written.
                      BTW, it's faster and more stable than at any point in its history.

                      > In the meantime, don't forget us.

                      No worries!

                      John R.
                    • John Kaufmann
                      ... ;-)¬°Good! I d miss your posts... and invaluable contribution to the WP world. ... Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                        In a message dated 2009.02.06 01:25 -0500, John Rethorst wrote:

                        > We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, ...

                        ;-)¬°Good! I'd miss your posts... and invaluable contribution to the WP world.

                        > and plan to continue using the best word processing program ever written.

                        Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                        --
                        John
                      • David Patterson
                        ... -- John
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                          >>Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                          --
                          John<<

                          That's where I started, WP5.1 in college. I fell in love with using the
                          keyboard shortcuts, not having to move my hands from the keyboard.
                          Of course this was under DOS, but once I moved to a GUI it was a real
                          time saver.
                        • Geoff Gilbert
                          Some of us still use those shortcuts in WPMac - Shift-F7 to print, anyone? Geoff
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                            Some of us still use those shortcuts in WPMac - Shift-F7 to print, anyone?

                            Geoff


                            > >>Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                            >--
                            >John<<
                            >
                            >That's where I started, WP5.1 in college. I fell in love with using the
                            >keyboard shortcuts, not having to move my hands from the keyboard.
                            >Of course this was under DOS, but once I moved to a GUI it was a real
                            >time saver.
                            >
                            >
                            >------------------------------------
                            >
                            >Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >
                            >
                            >
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.