Help! with conversions

  • meaux82
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2009
      So Im probably going to ask a dumb question...

      I have tried all the programs on here to convert Micro Perfect files
      to Word on a MAC and they dont work. Help!

      Thanks
      Maureen
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "meaux82" <meaux82@...> wrote:

        > I have tried all the programs on here to convert Micro Perfect files
        > to Word on a MAC and they dont work. Help!

        Um . . . instead of Micro Perfect I guess you mean WordPerfect.

        If so, see the Conversions folder in the Files section here. You can convert
        WordPerfect Mac or PC files to Word Mac version 6, which all later
        versions of Word can read. These conversions all come with instructions.

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "meaux82" <meaux82@...> wrote:

          > So Im probably going to ask a dumb question...
          >
          > I have tried all the programs on here to convert Micro Perfect files
          > to Word on a MAC and they dont work. Help!

          Not a dumb question, but one that doesn't provide an absolutely essential piece of
          information:

          Are you trying to convert files created by "WordPerfect for the Mac" or files created by
          "WordPerfect for Windows" or by "WordPerfect for DOS"? If the files were originally created
          on a Windows (or DOS) computer, then the answer will be very different from the answer if
          the files were created on a Mac.

          John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009

            > John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?

            Yes it does, plus excellent conversion guides by Jonathan Busch
            and Smokey Ardisson.

            John R.
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@>
              wrote:

              > > John, does the Files section have any converters for WPWin files?
              >
              > Yes it does, plus excellent conversion guides by Jonathan Busch
              > and Smokey Ardisson.

              Ah, I see, yes. But those methods all assume that the
              goal is to edit the WPWin/DOS files in WPMac. However,
              I think it's possible that the original question may
              have meant something more like this: "I have files
              that I created in WordPerfect for Windows (or DOS)
              and I want to use them on a Mac. What is the simplest
              way to do that?"

              The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
              use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
              Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
              software written for OS X. I don't think it's
              practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
              or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
              WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
              to answer the question here:

              http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html#wordformac
            • Smokey Ardisson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
                On Tue Feb 3, 2009 6:17 am ((PST)), "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:

                >I think it's possible that the original question may
                >have meant something more like this: "I have files
                >that I created in WordPerfect for Windows (or DOS)
                >and I want to use them on a Mac. What is the simplest
                >way to do that?"

                [...]
                >WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
                >to answer the question here:
                >
                >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html#wordformac

                Note that OpenOffice.org is not officially available (nor, to my
                understanding, supported) on PPC Macs; there are community builds
                that you can find if you know where to look, but the download system
                won't provide you with a download if you visit
                download.openoffice.org with a PPC Mac (I just checked). Anyone with
                a PPC Mac would either need to hunt around for the community builds,
                or use NeoOffice instead, which officially supports both PPC and
                Intel: http://www.neooffice.org/

                (Disclaimer: I have been, for a long time, a member of the
                community-staffed NeoOffice support team.)

                Smokey
              • Rick Albright
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 4, 2009
                  On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                  > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
                  > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
                  > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
                  > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
                  > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
                  > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
                  > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
                  > to answer the question here:

                  You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
                  That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
                  list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
                  It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
                  involved.

                  I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                  become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                  almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                  emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                  something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                  numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                  longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                  software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
                  meantime, don't forget us.

                  Rick Albright
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

                    > On Feb 3, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
                    > > The best answer to that question is probably NOT to
                    > > use WPMac, but to convert the files for use with
                    > > Microsoft Word for the Mac or some other modern
                    > > software written for OS X. I don't think it's
                    > > practical for most people to set up a SheepShaver
                    > > or Basilisk II system simply to move files from
                    > > WPWin/WPDOS to Word-compatible format. So I've tried
                    > > to answer the question here:
                    > >
                    > You are assuming, of course, that the user is using an Intel Mac.
                    > That may not be the case. While I realize that many members of this
                    > list do so, some of us still have Power PC (or even older) machines.
                    > It might be much simpler to stick with WordPerfect if Classic is
                    > involved.
                    >
                    > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                    > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                    > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                    > emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                    > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                    > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                    > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                    > software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
                    > meantime, don't forget us.

                    I guess some of us are hoping that the person who asked the
                    original question would tell us (1) what kind of Mac is
                    involved and (2) whether the "Micro Perfect" files referred
                    to in the question were created in WordPerfect for the Mac
                    or WordPerfect for Windows or WordPerfect for DOS, or whether
                    "Micro Perfect" was supposed to mean something else entirely.
                  • David Patterson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009
                      "I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                      become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                      almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                      emulators. I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                      something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                      numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                      longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                      software that is quite venerable by software standards). In the
                      meantime, don't forget us.

                      Rick Albright"

                      I'll go for that. I use WP on my old G3 to create documents. I also use
                      Show Codes to clean up formatting in other documents.
                      If I must transmit the results to others, I just paste the contents into
                      a Word document and send it to those poor souls who are crippled by
                      using a PC.
                      If the discussion in this news letter is about Sheepshaver I delete it.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 5, 2009

                        > I am sorry to say this, but sometimes I think that the list has
                        > become almost entirely concerned with Sheepshaver and Basilisk. I
                        > almost never see a query any more that is not concerned with those
                        > emulators.

                        The list may be focusing on SS and BL for the moment probably
                        because these are relatively less-known machine configurations and
                        need more attention at this point and, at the same time, support
                        the newer OS and hardware that offer other advantages. At some
                        point, I think soon, we will all be comfortable with emulators, and
                        pay more attention to more general topics.

                        > I may be in the minority by not having an Intel Mac, but
                        > something tells me I am not. I do realize that as time goes on, our
                        > numbers will shrink, but I also know that Macs are famed for their
                        > longevity (and, after all, we are on a list devoted to a piece of
                        > software that is quite venerable by software standards).

                        We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, and plan to
                        continue using the best word processing program ever written.
                        BTW, it's faster and more stable than at any point in its history.

                        > In the meantime, don't forget us.

                        No worries!

                        John R.
                      • John Kaufmann
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2009
                          In a message dated 2009.02.06 01:25 -0500, John Rethorst wrote:

                          > We serious wordsmiths are also known for longevity, ...

                          ;-)¬°Good! I'd miss your posts... and invaluable contribution to the WP world.

                          > and plan to continue using the best word processing program ever written.

                          Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                          --
                          John
                        • David Patterson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                            >>Spoken like someone who can appreciate an incorrigible user of WP 5.1.
                            --
                            John<<

                            That's where I started, WP5.1 in college. I fell in love with using the
                            keyboard shortcuts, not having to move my hands from the keyboard.
                            Of course this was under DOS, but once I moved to a GUI it was a real
                            time saver.
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 9, 2009
                              Some of us still use those shortcuts in WPMac - Shift-F7 to print, anyone?

                              Geoff