Re: [wpmac] Re: How to upgrade the System

  • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
      On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 02:20:21AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
      >>SheepShaver Prefs has an option to Boot from CD. Activate that, quit
      >>SS, insert your OS 9 CD and start SS again.
      >
      >Does that include OS 9.2.2?

      If you did not see my reply, which probably arrived after you asked this,
      NO. SS only supports up to 9.0.4.

      Geoff.

      --
      Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
    • Keith Addison
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2009
        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <gha@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Does that include OS 9.2.2?
        >
        >No. SheepShaver will not work with OS versions later than 9.0.4.
        >
        >John R.

        Thankyou John.

        I have a 9.1 disk, but not 9.0.4.

        All best

        Keith
      • Keith Addison
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2009
          >On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 02:20:21AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
          >>>SheepShaver Prefs has an option to Boot from CD. Activate that, quit
          >>>SS, insert your OS 9 CD and start SS again.
          >>
          >>Does that include OS 9.2.2?
          >
          >If you did not see my reply, which probably arrived after you asked this,
          >NO. SS only supports up to 9.0.4.

          Thankyou Geoff. That's right, I hadn't seen your reply yet.

          >I've not been able to get an upgrade to work properly.You can't install
          >a reasonable (IMHO) OS9 system on the disk image in the sheepshaver WP
          >package, it won't fit. When I create a larger image, no matter what I
          >do, when I am done, the boot time disk check tells me the disk needs to
          >be repaired with OSX disk utility, but the Leopard disk utility won't
          >check it.

          :-(

          Are upgrades to OS 8 or 8.5/6 okay, or are you using 7.5.I? Maybe it
          would work with Tiger?

          Running Sheepshaver from an OS 9 CD would slow it down a lot (and tie
          up the drive).

          Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?

          All best

          Keith

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2009
            On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:14:47AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
            >Are upgrades to OS 8 or 8.5/6 okay, or are you using 7.5.I? Maybe it
            >would work with Tiger?

            You can upgrade to MacOS 8 pretty easily, again, you need a RETAIL CD.
            If you do, apply the 8.1 upgrade, which you can download from Apple.

            The same with 8.5. I've never seen an 8.6 true install CD, the only ones
            I have seen boot an 8.6 System folder that will only run from a CD. When you
            install 8.6 from them, they do a standard 8.5 install and then run the 8.6
            upgrade. The result is the same, the process strange. :-)

            >Running Sheepshaver from an OS 9 CD would slow it down a lot (and tie
            >up the drive).
            >
            >Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?

            I've done it by creating a disk image, copying all of the files over from
            the WordPerfect 7.5 image and then installing OS9. The problem I have
            is that diskcheck runs and tells me that the disk needs to be repaired with
            the OSX disk utility, but then the Leopard (10.5.6) one won't check the
            disk, it claims it can't find a file system.

            In other cases, I've run SS under Windows with a 9.0.4 system installed
            on an empty image from the CD. Before I had the 9.0.4 CD, I used a 9.0.1
            and installed the updates from Apple.

            As for what to upgrade to, 8.0/8.1 is mixed code, some of it is 680x0 code
            running on a built in 68020 emulator. 8.5 is pure PPC code, so it will run
            faster, but it is awfully buggy, so it needs the 8.6 update.

            OS9 adds some features, and there are a few changes with 9.1.5. Most of them
            had to do with hardware support, which is why they won't run under SS.
            OS 9.2.x had to do with running in classic mode and also had some hardware
            upgrades. I personally don't know of any APPLICATION software that requires
            OS9 beyond 9.0.4, but that does not mean there isn't any.

            Geoff.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 16, 2009
              Hello Geoff

              Thanks very much, that's made quite a few things clear. Very helpful!

              All best

              Keith

              >On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:14:47AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
              >>Are upgrades to OS 8 or 8.5/6 okay, or are you using 7.5.I? Maybe it
              >>would work with Tiger?
              >
              >You can upgrade to MacOS 8 pretty easily, again, you need a RETAIL CD.
              >If you do, apply the 8.1 upgrade, which you can download from Apple.
              >
              >The same with 8.5. I've never seen an 8.6 true install CD, the only ones
              >I have seen boot an 8.6 System folder that will only run from a CD. When you
              >install 8.6 from them, they do a standard 8.5 install and then run the 8.6
              >upgrade. The result is the same, the process strange. :-)
              >
              >>Running Sheepshaver from an OS 9 CD would slow it down a lot (and tie
              >>up the drive).
              >>
              >>Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?
              >
              >I've done it by creating a disk image, copying all of the files over from
              >the WordPerfect 7.5 image and then installing OS9. The problem I have
              >is that diskcheck runs and tells me that the disk needs to be repaired with
              >the OSX disk utility, but then the Leopard (10.5.6) one won't check the
              >disk, it claims it can't find a file system.
              >
              >In other cases, I've run SS under Windows with a 9.0.4 system installed
              >on an empty image from the CD. Before I had the 9.0.4 CD, I used a 9.0.1
              >and installed the updates from Apple.
              >
              >As for what to upgrade to, 8.0/8.1 is mixed code, some of it is 680x0 code
              >running on a built in 68020 emulator. 8.5 is pure PPC code, so it will run
              >faster, but it is awfully buggy, so it needs the 8.6 update.
              >
              >OS9 adds some features, and there are a few changes with 9.1.5. Most of them
              >had to do with hardware support, which is why they won't run under SS.
              >OS 9.2.x had to do with running in classic mode and also had some hardware
              >upgrades. I personally don't know of any APPLICATION software that requires
              >OS9 beyond 9.0.4, but that does not mean there isn't any.
              >
              >Geoff.
              >
              >--
              >Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
              >
              >------------------------------------
            • mrm21956
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 16, 2009
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <gha@...> wrote:

                [snip]

                > Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?
                >
                > All best
                >
                > Keith

                I have a 1.25GB disk image with 9.0.4 installed, running under Sheepshaver on a MacBook
                Pro 17" C2D 2.33. I can't fully recall how I set this up, but I think I:
                1. installed John's then current version of SS WP, got it running and then quit out of SS;
                2. used OSX Disk Utility to create a new 1.25GB blank disk image;
                3. changed the disk used by SS to the new blank image, started up SS, inserted the 9.0.4
                retail install disk in the MBP's DVD drive, ran the 9.0.4 install program and then shutdown
                SS again;
                4. added John's SS WP disk image as a second disk for use by SS, started it up, installed WP
                3.5.4 from my original install disks (and a few other old 680x0/PPC programs I use
                occasionally), upgraded to WP 3.5e and then copied various of John's files over to my new
                disk.

                Voila -- it worked, and continues to do so today, a few SS upgrades later. (MS apps are
                very flaky, however, but weren't they always?)

                I'm sure others on this site can tell you of easier ways to upgrade if you really want to do
                so. You could try to do it the way I've mentioned above, but I may have misremembered
                some of this -- its a couple of years since I set it up.

                Mark McKeon
                Brisbane, Australia
              • Keith Addison
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 18, 2009
                  Hello Mark

                  Thanks, good news. Good enough for me, I'll go for it (though 8.6
                  isn't too bad).

                  All best

                  Keith