Re: [wpmac] Re: MetaMacro basics: how to ?

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
      That *is* annoying. I'm still a fan of Stuffit, which is far more
      flexible and robust (at least the Stuffit Deluxe is) than the .zip
      archiving that is now built into OSX. Besides that, .sit files are
      *always* smaller than .zip archives. I guess they caved in to the PC
      world on that one.

      Stuffit expander (just the expander) used to be freeware. I don't
      know if this is still the case. At least at one time, there used to
      be a Windows version of the free stuffit expander, too, but I guess
      it never caught on. Zip was too entrenched.

      On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

      > OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
      > Expander bundled in. There's no native
      > software in these versions that can expand
      > a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
      > Expander required," would be useful in
      > the descriptions.
      >
      > The annoying thing is that there seems to
      > be no widely-used compression format that
      > can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
      > OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
      > OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
      > on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.

      “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
      --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
      from Pink Floyd, The Wall
      Rick Albright
      logres@...
    • John Sandel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
        According to the MetaMacro instructions, it's still required. That
        grinding noise you hear is me becoming conversant in this arcanity.

        JS