[wpmac] Re: MetaMacro basics: how to …?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@> wrote:
      > >

      > > On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
      > > icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
      > > me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.
      >
      > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google
      > will tell you where to find it.
      >
      > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
      > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
      > expander to open it.

      It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
      double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete installation
      and use instructions are included.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
        > It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
        > double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete
        installation
        > and use instructions are included.

        John,

        OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
        Expander bundled in. There's no native
        software in these versions that can expand
        a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
        Expander required," would be useful in
        the descriptions.

        The annoying thing is that there seems to
        be no widely-used compression format that
        can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
        OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
        OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
        on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.
      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
          It's been awhile, but you used to have to download and install a
          little program called something like "Akua sweets." I don't know if
          this is still required, but some of John's macros needed it.

          Rick Albright
        • Rick Albright
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
            That *is* annoying. I'm still a fan of Stuffit, which is far more
            flexible and robust (at least the Stuffit Deluxe is) than the .zip
            archiving that is now built into OSX. Besides that, .sit files are
            *always* smaller than .zip archives. I guess they caved in to the PC
            world on that one.

            Stuffit expander (just the expander) used to be freeware. I don't
            know if this is still the case. At least at one time, there used to
            be a Windows version of the free stuffit expander, too, but I guess
            it never caught on. Zip was too entrenched.

            On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

            > OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
            > Expander bundled in. There's no native
            > software in these versions that can expand
            > a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
            > Expander required," would be useful in
            > the descriptions.
            >
            > The annoying thing is that there seems to
            > be no widely-used compression format that
            > can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
            > OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
            > OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
            > on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.

            “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
            --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
            from Pink Floyd, The Wall
            Rick Albright
            logres@...
          • John Sandel
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
              According to the MetaMacro instructions, it's still required. That
              grinding noise you hear is me becoming conversant in this arcanity.

              JS