Re: [wpmac] Re: MetaMacro basics: how to …?

  • John Sandel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
      Ed Mendelson wrote:
      > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard.
      > Google will tell you where to find it.

      Thanks, that did the trick. I now have access to all of John R's
      goodies and will proceed to mangle my WP files.

      > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
      > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
      > expander to open it.

      I think Ed's right. Assuming any knowledge (on the part of the user)
      makes the Files section of WPMac less useful.

      JS
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@> wrote:
        > >

        > > On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
        > > icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
        > > me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.
        >
        > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google
        > will tell you where to find it.
        >
        > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
        > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
        > expander to open it.

        It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
        double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete installation
        and use instructions are included.

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
          > It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
          > double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete
          installation
          > and use instructions are included.

          John,

          OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
          Expander bundled in. There's no native
          software in these versions that can expand
          a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
          Expander required," would be useful in
          the descriptions.

          The annoying thing is that there seems to
          be no widely-used compression format that
          can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
          OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
          OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
          on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.
        • Rick Albright
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
            It's been awhile, but you used to have to download and install a
            little program called something like "Akua sweets." I don't know if
            this is still required, but some of John's macros needed it.

            Rick Albright
          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
              That *is* annoying. I'm still a fan of Stuffit, which is far more
              flexible and robust (at least the Stuffit Deluxe is) than the .zip
              archiving that is now built into OSX. Besides that, .sit files are
              *always* smaller than .zip archives. I guess they caved in to the PC
              world on that one.

              Stuffit expander (just the expander) used to be freeware. I don't
              know if this is still the case. At least at one time, there used to
              be a Windows version of the free stuffit expander, too, but I guess
              it never caught on. Zip was too entrenched.

              On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

              > OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
              > Expander bundled in. There's no native
              > software in these versions that can expand
              > a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
              > Expander required," would be useful in
              > the descriptions.
              >
              > The annoying thing is that there seems to
              > be no widely-used compression format that
              > can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
              > OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
              > OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
              > on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.

              “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
              --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
              from Pink Floyd, The Wall
              Rick Albright
              logres@...
            • John Sandel
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                According to the MetaMacro instructions, it's still required. That
                grinding noise you hear is me becoming conversant in this arcanity.

                JS