How to upgrade the System

  • edwards.doug@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
      I downloaded the WordPerfect-SheepShaver Install. OK, All runs well,
      but the system is 7.5.I want to upgrade to Mac OS 9. How do I do
      that? I have a copy of a Mac OS 9 Restore disk, but I need to get
      SheepShaver to boot from that, which I have not yet succeeded in
      doing.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "edwards.doug@..." <doug@...> wrote:

        > I downloaded the WordPerfect-SheepShaver Install. OK, All runs well,
        > but the system is 7.5.I want to upgrade to Mac OS 9. How do I do
        > that? I have a copy of a Mac OS 9 Restore disk, but I need to get
        > SheepShaver to boot from that, which I have not yet succeeded in
        > doing.

        SheepShaver Prefs has an option to Boot from CD. Activate that, quit
        SS, insert your OS 9 CD and start SS again. Note that this may not
        work if your OS Restore Disk is made for a specific machine.

        John R.
      • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
          On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 01:49:12PM -0000, edwards.doug@... wrote:
          >I downloaded the WordPerfect-SheepShaver Install. OK, All runs well,
          >but the system is 7.5.I want to upgrade to Mac OS 9. How do I do
          >that? I have a copy of a Mac OS 9 Restore disk, but I need to get
          >SheepShaver to boot from that, which I have not yet succeeded in
          >doing.

          You probably can't. A restore disk is specific to the computer it was
          sold with. For example, if it came with a tangerine G3 iMac it will
          only install on tangerine G3 iMacs. I'm just kidding about the tangerine
          part, but it won't install/run on anything else.

          Sheepshaver is limited to the version of MacOS 9 that it will run.
          The latest version is 9.0.4.

          You need to get a white retail disk, not a grey restore disk.
          I'm not sure what was available, there was a 9.0.4 retail disk, and at least
          one earlier one, plus several later.

          I've not been able to get an upgrade to work properly.You can't install
          a reasonable (IMHO) OS9 system on the disk image in the sheepshaver WP
          package, it won't fit. When I create a larger image, no matter what I
          do, when I am done, the boot time disk check tells me the disk needs to
          be repaired with OSX disk utility, but the Leopard disk utility won't
          check it.

          Before you pay big bucks for a retail OS9 disk, as they are quite rare
          and the dealers want serious money for them, ask around on this and local
          mailing lists, to see if someone has one. Make sure to include your general
          location.

          Geoff.

          --
          Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
        • Keith Addison
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
            Hello John and all

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "edwards.doug@..." <doug@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I downloaded the WordPerfect-SheepShaver Install. OK, All runs well,
            >> but the system is 7.5.I want to upgrade to Mac OS 9. How do I do
            >> that? I have a copy of a Mac OS 9 Restore disk, but I need to get
            >> SheepShaver to boot from that, which I have not yet succeeded in
            >> doing.
            >
            >SheepShaver Prefs has an option to Boot from CD. Activate that, quit
            >SS, insert your OS 9 CD and start SS again.

            Does that include OS 9.2.2?

            All best

            Keith

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <gha@...> wrote:

              > Does that include OS 9.2.2?

              No. SheepShaver will not work with OS versions later than 9.0.4.

              John R.
            • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 14, 2009
                On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 02:20:21AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
                >>SheepShaver Prefs has an option to Boot from CD. Activate that, quit
                >>SS, insert your OS 9 CD and start SS again.
                >
                >Does that include OS 9.2.2?

                If you did not see my reply, which probably arrived after you asked this,
                NO. SS only supports up to 9.0.4.

                Geoff.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2009
                  >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <gha@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Does that include OS 9.2.2?
                  >
                  >No. SheepShaver will not work with OS versions later than 9.0.4.
                  >
                  >John R.

                  Thankyou John.

                  I have a 9.1 disk, but not 9.0.4.

                  All best

                  Keith
                • Keith Addison
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 15, 2009
                    >On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 02:20:21AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
                    >>>SheepShaver Prefs has an option to Boot from CD. Activate that, quit
                    >>>SS, insert your OS 9 CD and start SS again.
                    >>
                    >>Does that include OS 9.2.2?
                    >
                    >If you did not see my reply, which probably arrived after you asked this,
                    >NO. SS only supports up to 9.0.4.

                    Thankyou Geoff. That's right, I hadn't seen your reply yet.

                    >I've not been able to get an upgrade to work properly.You can't install
                    >a reasonable (IMHO) OS9 system on the disk image in the sheepshaver WP
                    >package, it won't fit. When I create a larger image, no matter what I
                    >do, when I am done, the boot time disk check tells me the disk needs to
                    >be repaired with OSX disk utility, but the Leopard disk utility won't
                    >check it.

                    :-(

                    Are upgrades to OS 8 or 8.5/6 okay, or are you using 7.5.I? Maybe it
                    would work with Tiger?

                    Running Sheepshaver from an OS 9 CD would slow it down a lot (and tie
                    up the drive).

                    Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?

                    All best

                    Keith

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 15, 2009
                      On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:14:47AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
                      >Are upgrades to OS 8 or 8.5/6 okay, or are you using 7.5.I? Maybe it
                      >would work with Tiger?

                      You can upgrade to MacOS 8 pretty easily, again, you need a RETAIL CD.
                      If you do, apply the 8.1 upgrade, which you can download from Apple.

                      The same with 8.5. I've never seen an 8.6 true install CD, the only ones
                      I have seen boot an 8.6 System folder that will only run from a CD. When you
                      install 8.6 from them, they do a standard 8.5 install and then run the 8.6
                      upgrade. The result is the same, the process strange. :-)

                      >Running Sheepshaver from an OS 9 CD would slow it down a lot (and tie
                      >up the drive).
                      >
                      >Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?

                      I've done it by creating a disk image, copying all of the files over from
                      the WordPerfect 7.5 image and then installing OS9. The problem I have
                      is that diskcheck runs and tells me that the disk needs to be repaired with
                      the OSX disk utility, but then the Leopard (10.5.6) one won't check the
                      disk, it claims it can't find a file system.

                      In other cases, I've run SS under Windows with a 9.0.4 system installed
                      on an empty image from the CD. Before I had the 9.0.4 CD, I used a 9.0.1
                      and installed the updates from Apple.

                      As for what to upgrade to, 8.0/8.1 is mixed code, some of it is 680x0 code
                      running on a built in 68020 emulator. 8.5 is pure PPC code, so it will run
                      faster, but it is awfully buggy, so it needs the 8.6 update.

                      OS9 adds some features, and there are a few changes with 9.1.5. Most of them
                      had to do with hardware support, which is why they won't run under SS.
                      OS 9.2.x had to do with running in classic mode and also had some hardware
                      upgrades. I personally don't know of any APPLICATION software that requires
                      OS9 beyond 9.0.4, but that does not mean there isn't any.

                      Geoff.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 16, 2009
                        Hello Geoff

                        Thanks very much, that's made quite a few things clear. Very helpful!

                        All best

                        Keith

                        >On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:14:47AM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
                        >>Are upgrades to OS 8 or 8.5/6 okay, or are you using 7.5.I? Maybe it
                        >>would work with Tiger?
                        >
                        >You can upgrade to MacOS 8 pretty easily, again, you need a RETAIL CD.
                        >If you do, apply the 8.1 upgrade, which you can download from Apple.
                        >
                        >The same with 8.5. I've never seen an 8.6 true install CD, the only ones
                        >I have seen boot an 8.6 System folder that will only run from a CD. When you
                        >install 8.6 from them, they do a standard 8.5 install and then run the 8.6
                        >upgrade. The result is the same, the process strange. :-)
                        >
                        >>Running Sheepshaver from an OS 9 CD would slow it down a lot (and tie
                        >>up the drive).
                        >>
                        >>Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?
                        >
                        >I've done it by creating a disk image, copying all of the files over from
                        >the WordPerfect 7.5 image and then installing OS9. The problem I have
                        >is that diskcheck runs and tells me that the disk needs to be repaired with
                        >the OSX disk utility, but then the Leopard (10.5.6) one won't check the
                        >disk, it claims it can't find a file system.
                        >
                        >In other cases, I've run SS under Windows with a 9.0.4 system installed
                        >on an empty image from the CD. Before I had the 9.0.4 CD, I used a 9.0.1
                        >and installed the updates from Apple.
                        >
                        >As for what to upgrade to, 8.0/8.1 is mixed code, some of it is 680x0 code
                        >running on a built in 68020 emulator. 8.5 is pure PPC code, so it will run
                        >faster, but it is awfully buggy, so it needs the 8.6 update.
                        >
                        >OS9 adds some features, and there are a few changes with 9.1.5. Most of them
                        >had to do with hardware support, which is why they won't run under SS.
                        >OS 9.2.x had to do with running in classic mode and also had some hardware
                        >upgrades. I personally don't know of any APPLICATION software that requires
                        >OS9 beyond 9.0.4, but that does not mean there isn't any.
                        >
                        >Geoff.
                        >
                        >--
                        >Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
                        >
                        >------------------------------------
                      • mrm21956
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 16, 2009
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <gha@...> wrote:

                          [snip]

                          > Has anyone managed to upgrade to 9.0.4?
                          >
                          > All best
                          >
                          > Keith

                          I have a 1.25GB disk image with 9.0.4 installed, running under Sheepshaver on a MacBook
                          Pro 17" C2D 2.33. I can't fully recall how I set this up, but I think I:
                          1. installed John's then current version of SS WP, got it running and then quit out of SS;
                          2. used OSX Disk Utility to create a new 1.25GB blank disk image;
                          3. changed the disk used by SS to the new blank image, started up SS, inserted the 9.0.4
                          retail install disk in the MBP's DVD drive, ran the 9.0.4 install program and then shutdown
                          SS again;
                          4. added John's SS WP disk image as a second disk for use by SS, started it up, installed WP
                          3.5.4 from my original install disks (and a few other old 680x0/PPC programs I use
                          occasionally), upgraded to WP 3.5e and then copied various of John's files over to my new
                          disk.

                          Voila -- it worked, and continues to do so today, a few SS upgrades later. (MS apps are
                          very flaky, however, but weren't they always?)

                          I'm sure others on this site can tell you of easier ways to upgrade if you really want to do
                          so. You could try to do it the way I've mentioned above, but I may have misremembered
                          some of this -- its a couple of years since I set it up.

                          Mark McKeon
                          Brisbane, Australia
                        • Keith Addison
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 18, 2009
                            Hello Mark

                            Thanks, good news. Good enough for me, I'll go for it (though 8.6
                            isn't too bad).

                            All best

                            Keith