Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

[wpmac] Re: MetaMacro basics: how to …?

Expand Messages
  • Edward Mendelson
    ... It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google will tell you where to find it. John, perhaps it s time to change the file format
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@...> wrote:
      >
      >
      > On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
      > icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
      > me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.

      It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google will tell you where
      to find it.

      John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or emphasize in each case
      that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other expander to open it.
    • John Sandel
      ... Thanks, that did the trick. I now have access to all of John R s goodies and will proceed to mangle my WP files. ... I think Ed s right. Assuming any
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        Ed Mendelson wrote:
        > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard.
        > Google will tell you where to find it.

        Thanks, that did the trick. I now have access to all of John R's
        goodies and will proceed to mangle my WP files.


        > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
        > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
        > expander to open it.

        I think Ed's right. Assuming any knowledge (on the part of the user)
        makes the Files section of WPMac less useful.

        JS
      • John Rethorst
        ... It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete installation and use
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:
          >
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@> wrote:
          > >
          > >
          > > On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
          > > icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
          > > me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.
          >
          > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google
          > will tell you where to find it.
          >
          > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
          > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
          > expander to open it.

          It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
          double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete installation
          and use instructions are included.

          John R.
        • Edward Mendelson
          ... installation ... John, OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don t come with Stuffit Expander bundled in. There s no native software in these versions that can expand a .SIT
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...>
            wrote:
            > It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
            > double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete
            installation
            > and use instructions are included.

            John,

            OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
            Expander bundled in. There's no native
            software in these versions that can expand
            a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
            Expander required," would be useful in
            the descriptions.

            The annoying thing is that there seems to
            be no widely-used compression format that
            can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
            OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
            OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
            on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.
          • Rick Albright
            It s been awhile, but you used to have to download and install a little program called something like Akua sweets. I don t know if this is still required,
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              It's been awhile, but you used to have to download and install a
              little program called something like "Akua sweets." I don't know if
              this is still required, but some of John's macros needed it.

              Rick Albright
            • Rick Albright
              That *is* annoying. I m still a fan of Stuffit, which is far more flexible and robust (at least the Stuffit Deluxe is) than the .zip archiving that is now
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                That *is* annoying. I'm still a fan of Stuffit, which is far more
                flexible and robust (at least the Stuffit Deluxe is) than the .zip
                archiving that is now built into OSX. Besides that, .sit files are
                *always* smaller than .zip archives. I guess they caved in to the PC
                world on that one.

                Stuffit expander (just the expander) used to be freeware. I don't
                know if this is still the case. At least at one time, there used to
                be a Windows version of the free stuffit expander, too, but I guess
                it never caught on. Zip was too entrenched.

                On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                > OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
                > Expander bundled in. There's no native
                > software in these versions that can expand
                > a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
                > Expander required," would be useful in
                > the descriptions.
                >
                > The annoying thing is that there seems to
                > be no widely-used compression format that
                > can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
                > OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
                > OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
                > on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.
                >

                =========================================================
                “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                -------------------------------------------
                Rick Albright
                logres@...
              • John Sandel
                According to the MetaMacro instructions, it s still required. That grinding noise you hear is me becoming conversant in this arcanity. JS
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  According to the MetaMacro instructions, it's still required. That
                  grinding noise you hear is me becoming conversant in this arcanity.

                  JS


                  On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Rick Albright <logres@...> wrote:
                  > It's been awhile, but you used to have to download and install a
                  > little program called something like "Akua sweets." I don't know if
                  > this is still required, but some of John's macros needed it.
                  >
                  > Rick Albright
                  >
                  >
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.