Re: MetaMacro basics: how to …?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@...> wrote:

      > I'm confused about how to use MetaMacro.

      Have you read and followed ALL the instructions in the
      "MetaMacro doc" file that is included with the macro
      itself (and some sample macros) in the download?
    • John Sandel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
        Hi, Ed.

        I don't see anything to read or instructions to follow, and only one
        thing that might be a file.

        On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
        icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
        me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.

        When I click on it, the OS says "There is no default application
        specified to open the document 'MetaMacro 1.0.1'." Then, as per usual,
        I have a choice of Cancelling or Choosing an Application. Dunno what
        of my many apps would be the best choice.

        It's pretty opaque to me. Am I missing something—digitally or conceptually?

        JS

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@...> wrote:

          > On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
          > icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
          > me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.

          It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google will tell you where
          to find it.

          John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or emphasize in each case
          that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other expander to open it.
        • John Sandel
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
            Ed Mendelson wrote:
            > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard.
            > Google will tell you where to find it.

            Thanks, that did the trick. I now have access to all of John R's
            goodies and will proceed to mangle my WP files.

            > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
            > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
            > expander to open it.

            I think Ed's right. Assuming any knowledge (on the part of the user)
            makes the Files section of WPMac less useful.

            JS
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@> wrote:
              > >

              > > On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
              > > icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
              > > me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.
              >
              > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google
              > will tell you where to find it.
              >
              > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
              > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
              > expander to open it.

              It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
              double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete installation
              and use instructions are included.

              John R.
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                > It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
                > double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete
                installation
                > and use instructions are included.

                John,

                OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
                Expander bundled in. There's no native
                software in these versions that can expand
                a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
                Expander required," would be useful in
                the descriptions.

                The annoying thing is that there seems to
                be no widely-used compression format that
                can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
                OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
                OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
                on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.
              • Rick Albright
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                  It's been awhile, but you used to have to download and install a
                  little program called something like "Akua sweets." I don't know if
                  this is still required, but some of John's macros needed it.

                  Rick Albright
                • Rick Albright
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                    That *is* annoying. I'm still a fan of Stuffit, which is far more
                    flexible and robust (at least the Stuffit Deluxe is) than the .zip
                    archiving that is now built into OSX. Besides that, .sit files are
                    *always* smaller than .zip archives. I guess they caved in to the PC
                    world on that one.

                    Stuffit expander (just the expander) used to be freeware. I don't
                    know if this is still the case. At least at one time, there used to
                    be a Windows version of the free stuffit expander, too, but I guess
                    it never caught on. Zip was too entrenched.

                    On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                    > OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
                    > Expander bundled in. There's no native
                    > software in these versions that can expand
                    > a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
                    > Expander required," would be useful in
                    > the descriptions.
                    >
                    > The annoying thing is that there seems to
                    > be no widely-used compression format that
                    > can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
                    > OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
                    > OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
                    > on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.

                    “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                    --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                    from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                    Rick Albright
                    logres@...
                  • John Sandel
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                      According to the MetaMacro instructions, it's still required. That
                      grinding noise you hear is me becoming conversant in this arcanity.

                      JS