MetaMacro basics: how to …?

  • John Sandel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
      I'm confused about how to use MetaMacro.

      I want to batch-convert several hundred WP 3.5e docs to RTF,
      preparatory to opening them in another word-processor (TBA by my
      boss).

      (I'm running WP 3.5e in Classic, by the way, on a G4.)

      I recalled that John Rethorst once wrote a utility to do just that.

      I dug through the archives WPMac messages and found John Rethorst's
      announcement of MetaMacro (dated Jan 18, 2005):
      http://tinyurl.com/74vv9m. But he mentions no specific steps on how to
      launch or invoke MetaMacro.

      I found MetaMacro 1.0.1 in the Files section and downloaded it to my
      desktop, but it won't launch as an application (it wants an app to
      launch *it*).

      At the WordPerfectMac Yahoo group, I searched for:

      "batch convert metamacro"
      "metamacro steps"
      "metamacro instructions"
      "metamacro how to"
      &
      "metamacro how"

      The results confirm generally that MetaMacro will do the conversion,
      but the process remains mysterious. (As the recession deepens, my
      cognition dims.)

      Can you, John, or someone please list the steps to using MetaMacro, or
      send me to where they're listed? What do I do with my mouse &/or
      keyboard, so I may avail myself of the utility's magical power?

      While I'm asking:

      I'm not married to RTF; in fact, I'd like my conversion to retain
      minimal text formatting.

      (By "minimal" I mean general formats that are included in WP's
      standard menus—thus, italicization, bolding, underlining, etc. I don't
      need to convert anything more involved, e.g., tables, columns,
      graphics, footnotes or indexes. Just the basics.)

      Does MetaMacro give options in the conversion—i.e., "convert to RTF";
      "convert to Word 2xxx," etc? Or does it do RTF alone?

      Thanks in advance. I'm all ears.

      JS
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@...> wrote:

        > I'm confused about how to use MetaMacro.

        Have you read and followed ALL the instructions in the
        "MetaMacro doc" file that is included with the macro
        itself (and some sample macros) in the download?
      • John Sandel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2009
          Hi, Ed.

          I don't see anything to read or instructions to follow, and only one
          thing that might be a file.

          On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
          icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
          me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.

          When I click on it, the OS says "There is no default application
          specified to open the document 'MetaMacro 1.0.1'." Then, as per usual,
          I have a choice of Cancelling or Choosing an Application. Dunno what
          of my many apps would be the best choice.

          It's pretty opaque to me. Am I missing something—digitally or conceptually?

          JS

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@...> wrote:

            > On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
            > icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
            > me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.

            It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google will tell you where
            to find it.

            John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or emphasize in each case
            that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other expander to open it.
          • John Sandel
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
              Ed Mendelson wrote:
              > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard.
              > Google will tell you where to find it.

              Thanks, that did the trick. I now have access to all of John R's
              goodies and will proceed to mangle my WP files.

              > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
              > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
              > expander to open it.

              I think Ed's right. Assuming any knowledge (on the part of the user)
              makes the Files section of WPMac less useful.

              JS
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <flagnab@> wrote:
                > >

                > > On my OS 10.4.11 desktop, the download deposited a generic "document"
                > > icon (white blank page with a corner down). Get Info on the icon tells
                > > me only that it's a 128Kb "document" with no extension.
                >
                > It sounds as if you need to download and install Stuffit Standard. Google
                > will tell you where to find it.
                >
                > John, perhaps it's time to change the file format of the downloads, or
                > emphasize in each case that a .SIT file requires Stuffit or some other
                > expander to open it.

                It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
                double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete installation
                and use instructions are included.

                John R.
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                  > It should have had a .sit extension. Now fixed. John, d/l it again and
                  > double-click it. It should open with Stuffit Expander. Complete
                  installation
                  > and use instructions are included.

                  John,

                  OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
                  Expander bundled in. There's no native
                  software in these versions that can expand
                  a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
                  Expander required," would be useful in
                  the descriptions.

                  The annoying thing is that there seems to
                  be no widely-used compression format that
                  can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
                  OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
                  OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
                  on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.
                • Rick Albright
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                    It's been awhile, but you used to have to download and install a
                    little program called something like "Akua sweets." I don't know if
                    this is still required, but some of John's macros needed it.

                    Rick Albright
                  • Rick Albright
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                      That *is* annoying. I'm still a fan of Stuffit, which is far more
                      flexible and robust (at least the Stuffit Deluxe is) than the .zip
                      archiving that is now built into OSX. Besides that, .sit files are
                      *always* smaller than .zip archives. I guess they caved in to the PC
                      world on that one.

                      Stuffit expander (just the expander) used to be freeware. I don't
                      know if this is still the case. At least at one time, there used to
                      be a Windows version of the free stuffit expander, too, but I guess
                      it never caught on. Zip was too entrenched.

                      On Jan 14, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                      > OS X 10.4 and 10.5 don't come with Stuffit
                      > Expander bundled in. There's no native
                      > software in these versions that can expand
                      > a .SIT file. So maybe a warning, "Stuffit
                      > Expander required," would be useful in
                      > the descriptions.
                      >
                      > The annoying thing is that there seems to
                      > be no widely-used compression format that
                      > can be opened natively in OS 7/8/9 AND in
                      > OS 10.4 or later. .SEA should work on any
                      > OS X Mac with Classic installed, but not
                      > on Intel and not on PPC with 10.4 or later.

                      “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
                      --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
                      from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                      Rick Albright
                      logres@...
                    • John Sandel
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 14, 2009
                        According to the MetaMacro instructions, it's still required. That
                        grinding noise you hear is me becoming conversant in this arcanity.

                        JS