Re: New version of SheepShaver install in progress - what needs to be added/fixe

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
      John,

      One further point. I hope you might be able to write an
      AppleScript that would run the first time SheepShaver
      is opened so that it could set up the destination folder
      for the printer driver. I've tried using Akua Sweets and
      Sigma's Additions to script this, but I'm afraid it's
      beyond me to get the buttons pushed and the Save
      location specified in the print dialog.

      If it's possible to write such a script, could I suggest
      that it work this way:

      The disk image would include an alias to the script
      in the startup items folder. The alias would launch the
      script when SheepShaver runs on the user's system for
      the first time. After it completes successfully, it would
      move the alias to itself out of the startup items so that
      thescript wouldn't run on subsequent startups, but it
      would be available for use if the user needs to repair
      the printing setup.

      If this could be done, then the entire setup operation
      could be automated, and that would reduce drastically
      the time and effort needed to walk people through
      the procedure later on.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:

        > Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
        > a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
        > with Leopard's disk utility.

        Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
        happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009

          > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
          > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include any
          > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
          > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
          > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
          > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
          > maybe I'm missing something obvious.

          When I first did this I compared SS and Basilisk, comparing not load
          times but speed times in intensive operation such as spell-checking.
          I found SS (using PowerPC WP) slightly faster than Basilisk with 68K
          WP, but nothing decisive. I remembered that the 68K version seemed
          to have a couple of bugs the PPC version didn't, including something
          with hyphenation. I also found it harder to set Basilisk to a large
          screen size, but I didn't take a close look there.

          What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
          your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
          other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
          legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

          John R.
        • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
            On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:22:00AM -0000, John Rethorst wrote:
            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
            >> a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
            >> with Leopard's disk utility.
            >
            >Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
            >happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

            1. I created an image, New.dsk, with SS prefs.
            2. I tried to open it with disk utility and it would not find it.
            3. I renamed it new.dmg.
            4. Disk utility opened it, but could not find any mountable file systems.
            5. I changed the prefs to the new image and started SS.
            Note, without a bootable disk image, SS will not shut down. :-(
            6. When I boot Macos, I was asked to intialize the volume, I chose
            MacOS standard and intialized it.
            7. Disk utility mounts the image, but finds no file system on in it
            claiming no partition map.

            Thanks,

            Geoff.
            --
            Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 13, 2009

              > What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
              > your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
              > other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
              > legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

              Absolutely right - I simply forgot about all those PPC-only applications...!