Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: New version of SheepShaver install in progress - what needs to be added/fixe

Expand Messages
  • ted_m_p_lee
    ... any ... I too applaud John s efforts. While I yet haven t had to use them, one of these days I ll either finally move up to Leopard or decide it s time to
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>
      wrote:
      >

      >
      > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
      > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include
      any
      > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
      > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
      > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
      > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
      > maybe I'm missing something obvious.
      >
      I too applaud John's efforts. While I yet haven't had to use them,
      one of these days I'll either finally move up to Leopard or decide it's
      time to replace one or another of our PPC machines. I haven't tried
      the Basilisk version, but I wonder if there are some other classic aps
      I and others might want to use that will run under Sheepshaver but not
      Basilisk?

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
      >
    • Edward Mendelson
      John, One further point. I hope you might be able to write an AppleScript that would run the first time SheepShaver is opened so that it could set up the
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        John,

        One further point. I hope you might be able to write an
        AppleScript that would run the first time SheepShaver
        is opened so that it could set up the destination folder
        for the printer driver. I've tried using Akua Sweets and
        Sigma's Additions to script this, but I'm afraid it's
        beyond me to get the buttons pushed and the Save
        location specified in the print dialog.

        If it's possible to write such a script, could I suggest
        that it work this way:

        The disk image would include an alias to the script
        in the startup items folder. The alias would launch the
        script when SheepShaver runs on the user's system for
        the first time. After it completes successfully, it would
        move the alias to itself out of the startup items so that
        thescript wouldn't run on subsequent startups, but it
        would be available for use if the user needs to repair
        the printing setup.

        If this could be done, then the entire setup operation
        could be automated, and that would reduce drastically
        the time and effort needed to walk people through
        the procedure later on.
      • John Rethorst
        ... Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility? John R.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:

          > Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
          > a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
          > with Leopard's disk utility.

          Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
          happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

          John R.
        • John Rethorst
          ... When I first did this I compared SS and Basilisk, comparing not load times but speed times in intensive operation such as spell-checking. I found SS (using
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...> wrote:

            > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
            > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include any
            > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
            > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
            > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
            > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
            > maybe I'm missing something obvious.

            When I first did this I compared SS and Basilisk, comparing not load
            times but speed times in intensive operation such as spell-checking.
            I found SS (using PowerPC WP) slightly faster than Basilisk with 68K
            WP, but nothing decisive. I remembered that the 68K version seemed
            to have a couple of bugs the PPC version didn't, including something
            with hyphenation. I also found it harder to set Basilisk to a large
            screen size, but I didn't take a close look there.

            What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
            your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
            other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
            legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

            John R.
          • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
            ... 1. I created an image, New.dsk, with SS prefs. 2. I tried to open it with disk utility and it would not find it. 3. I renamed it new.dmg. 4. Disk utility
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:22:00AM -0000, John Rethorst wrote:
              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
              >> a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
              >> with Leopard's disk utility.
              >
              >Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
              >happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

              1. I created an image, New.dsk, with SS prefs.
              2. I tried to open it with disk utility and it would not find it.
              3. I renamed it new.dmg.
              4. Disk utility opened it, but could not find any mountable file systems.
              5. I changed the prefs to the new image and started SS.
              Note, without a bootable disk image, SS will not shut down. :-(
              6. When I boot Macos, I was asked to intialize the volume, I chose
              MacOS standard and intialized it.
              7. Disk utility mounts the image, but finds no file system on in it
              claiming no partition map.

              Thanks,

              Geoff.
              --
              Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
            • Edward Mendelson
              ... Absolutely right - I simply forgot about all those PPC-only applications...!
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 13, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                > What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
                > your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
                > other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
                > legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

                Absolutely right - I simply forgot about all those PPC-only applications...!
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.