Re: New version of SheepShaver install in progress - what needs to be added/fixe

  • somniferous1
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
      John,

      If you are asking for wish lists I would wish for a one click script
      that would allow me to have *any* application launch the slick way you
      suggest that wordperfect would launch. What a wonderful thing that
      would be.

      Not having used SS much the one thing I found cumbersome was folder
      storage, I would love to be able to use subfolders and store my OSX
      with my OS9 data for logical filing. In my extremely limited use of
      SS that filing system didn't seem possible unless I moved the file I
      wanted to SS and back again each time.

      I wonder as Edward does, what are the pros and cons of Basilisk II
      compared to SS. I have only seen SS in action and that of course was
      on the PC.

      I just bought an Intel MacBookPro because I am was excited to hear
      that my PPC applications (I use on my G4) might run on it. I like the
      idea of a non jittery cursor. I think I might await the new
      installation because when I installed SS on the PC I found it was very
      involved and would love to have a simpler installation. The one Edward
      created sounded so elegant that I have visions of using all my
      favorite programs!

      Thanks for asking. And thanks for keeping the old mac programs alive.
      Weren't some of them simply the best?

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@>
      wrote:

      > > I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the
      latest,
      > > apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.
      ...snip...

      > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
      > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't
      include any
      > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
      > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
      > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
      > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
      > maybe I'm missing something obvious.
      >
      > We'll all be very grateful for version 2.0!

    • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
        On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 02:52:12PM -0000, Edward Mendelson wrote:
        >This part of the setup is the only thing I wasn't able to script
        >for my Basilisk II system. It would be good to be able to save
        >the user the trouble of following instructions to set this up -
        >and would save time on help requests too...

        Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
        a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
        with Leopard's disk utility.

        I know many people who use WP among other tools and having a setup
        with the WP packages installed, on a larger virtual disk along with
        MacOS 9, would allow them to move to Leopard.

        Any instructions, pointers, etc, would be appriciated.

        Geoff.

        --
        Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
          wrote:

          > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
          > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include
          any
          > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
          > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
          > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
          > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
          > maybe I'm missing something obvious.

          I too applaud John's efforts. While I yet haven't had to use them,
          one of these days I'll either finally move up to Leopard or decide it's
          time to replace one or another of our PPC machines. I haven't tried
          the Basilisk version, but I wonder if there are some other classic aps
          I and others might want to use that will run under Sheepshaver but not
          Basilisk?

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN

        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
            John,

            One further point. I hope you might be able to write an
            AppleScript that would run the first time SheepShaver
            is opened so that it could set up the destination folder
            for the printer driver. I've tried using Akua Sweets and
            Sigma's Additions to script this, but I'm afraid it's
            beyond me to get the buttons pushed and the Save
            location specified in the print dialog.

            If it's possible to write such a script, could I suggest
            that it work this way:

            The disk image would include an alias to the script
            in the startup items folder. The alias would launch the
            script when SheepShaver runs on the user's system for
            the first time. After it completes successfully, it would
            move the alias to itself out of the startup items so that
            thescript wouldn't run on subsequent startups, but it
            would be available for use if the user needs to repair
            the printing setup.

            If this could be done, then the entire setup operation
            could be automated, and that would reduce drastically
            the time and effort needed to walk people through
            the procedure later on.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:

              > Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
              > a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
              > with Leopard's disk utility.

              Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
              happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009

                > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
                > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include any
                > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
                > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
                > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
                > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
                > maybe I'm missing something obvious.

                When I first did this I compared SS and Basilisk, comparing not load
                times but speed times in intensive operation such as spell-checking.
                I found SS (using PowerPC WP) slightly faster than Basilisk with 68K
                WP, but nothing decisive. I remembered that the 68K version seemed
                to have a couple of bugs the PPC version didn't, including something
                with hyphenation. I also found it harder to set Basilisk to a large
                screen size, but I didn't take a close look there.

                What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
                your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
                other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
                legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

                John R.
              • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
                  On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:22:00AM -0000, John Rethorst wrote:
                  >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
                  >> a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
                  >> with Leopard's disk utility.
                  >
                  >Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
                  >happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

                  1. I created an image, New.dsk, with SS prefs.
                  2. I tried to open it with disk utility and it would not find it.
                  3. I renamed it new.dmg.
                  4. Disk utility opened it, but could not find any mountable file systems.
                  5. I changed the prefs to the new image and started SS.
                  Note, without a bootable disk image, SS will not shut down. :-(
                  6. When I boot Macos, I was asked to intialize the volume, I chose
                  MacOS standard and intialized it.
                  7. Disk utility mounts the image, but finds no file system on in it
                  claiming no partition map.

                  Thanks,

                  Geoff.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 13, 2009

                    > What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
                    > your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
                    > other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
                    > legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

                    Absolutely right - I simply forgot about all those PPC-only applications...!