Re: New version of SheepShaver install in progress - what needs to be added/fixe

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2009

      > I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the latest,
      > apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.

      Delighted to hear that this is one the way. Of course you're welcome
      to use those Applescripts I cobbled together. The latest version (same
      link -but from the DMG file, not the ZIP now) is much improved.
      You'll be able to clean up the code in a hundred ways.

      I also put the ROM and keyboard file in the Resources of Basilisk II
      for a cleaner installation; this should of course be possible with
      SheepShaver also.

      The current version of the system includes a few extensions and
      control panels that might come in handy. I uploaded a new version
      earlier today.

      My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
      than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include any
      features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
      machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
      in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
      what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
      maybe I'm missing something obvious.

      We'll all be very grateful for version 2.0!
    • somniferous1
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
        John,

        If you are asking for wish lists I would wish for a one click script
        that would allow me to have *any* application launch the slick way you
        suggest that wordperfect would launch. What a wonderful thing that
        would be.

        Not having used SS much the one thing I found cumbersome was folder
        storage, I would love to be able to use subfolders and store my OSX
        with my OS9 data for logical filing. In my extremely limited use of
        SS that filing system didn't seem possible unless I moved the file I
        wanted to SS and back again each time.

        I wonder as Edward does, what are the pros and cons of Basilisk II
        compared to SS. I have only seen SS in action and that of course was
        on the PC.

        I just bought an Intel MacBookPro because I am was excited to hear
        that my PPC applications (I use on my G4) might run on it. I like the
        idea of a non jittery cursor. I think I might await the new
        installation because when I installed SS on the PC I found it was very
        involved and would love to have a simpler installation. The one Edward
        created sounded so elegant that I have visions of using all my
        favorite programs!

        Thanks for asking. And thanks for keeping the old mac programs alive.
        Weren't some of them simply the best?

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@>
        wrote:

        > > I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the
        latest,
        > > apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.
        ...snip...

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009

          > I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the latest,
          > apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.

          One more thought: this is beyond my AppleScript abilities, but
          you'll probably know how to do it:

          Is it possible to write a First Time Setup Applescript to be run
          from within SheepShaver? All it would do is set the default
          destination for the default printer to be the folder in the Unix
          folder that you use for PrintFiles.

          This part of the setup is the only thing I wasn't able to script
          for my Basilisk II system. It would be good to be able to save
          the user the trouble of following instructions to set this up -
          and would save time on help requests too...
        • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
            On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 02:52:12PM -0000, Edward Mendelson wrote:
            >This part of the setup is the only thing I wasn't able to script
            >for my Basilisk II system. It would be good to be able to save
            >the user the trouble of following instructions to set this up -
            >and would save time on help requests too...

            Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
            a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
            with Leopard's disk utility.

            I know many people who use WP among other tools and having a setup
            with the WP packages installed, on a larger virtual disk along with
            MacOS 9, would allow them to move to Leopard.

            Any instructions, pointers, etc, would be appriciated.

            Geoff.

            --
            Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
              wrote:

              > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
              > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include
              any
              > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
              > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
              > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
              > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
              > maybe I'm missing something obvious.

              I too applaud John's efforts. While I yet haven't had to use them,
              one of these days I'll either finally move up to Leopard or decide it's
              time to replace one or another of our PPC machines. I haven't tried
              the Basilisk version, but I wonder if there are some other classic aps
              I and others might want to use that will run under Sheepshaver but not
              Basilisk?

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
                John,

                One further point. I hope you might be able to write an
                AppleScript that would run the first time SheepShaver
                is opened so that it could set up the destination folder
                for the printer driver. I've tried using Akua Sweets and
                Sigma's Additions to script this, but I'm afraid it's
                beyond me to get the buttons pushed and the Save
                location specified in the print dialog.

                If it's possible to write such a script, could I suggest
                that it work this way:

                The disk image would include an alias to the script
                in the startup items folder. The alias would launch the
                script when SheepShaver runs on the user's system for
                the first time. After it completes successfully, it would
                move the alias to itself out of the startup items so that
                thescript wouldn't run on subsequent startups, but it
                would be available for use if the user needs to repair
                the printing setup.

                If this could be done, then the entire setup operation
                could be automated, and that would reduce drastically
                the time and effort needed to walk people through
                the procedure later on.
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:

                  > Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
                  > a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
                  > with Leopard's disk utility.

                  Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
                  happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009

                    > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
                    > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include any
                    > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
                    > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
                    > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
                    > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
                    > maybe I'm missing something obvious.

                    When I first did this I compared SS and Basilisk, comparing not load
                    times but speed times in intensive operation such as spell-checking.
                    I found SS (using PowerPC WP) slightly faster than Basilisk with 68K
                    WP, but nothing decisive. I remembered that the 68K version seemed
                    to have a couple of bugs the PPC version didn't, including something
                    with hyphenation. I also found it harder to set Basilisk to a large
                    screen size, but I didn't take a close look there.

                    What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
                    your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
                    other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
                    legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

                    John R.
                  • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
                      On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:22:00AM -0000, John Rethorst wrote:
                      >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
                      >> a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
                      >> with Leopard's disk utility.
                      >
                      >Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
                      >happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

                      1. I created an image, New.dsk, with SS prefs.
                      2. I tried to open it with disk utility and it would not find it.
                      3. I renamed it new.dmg.
                      4. Disk utility opened it, but could not find any mountable file systems.
                      5. I changed the prefs to the new image and started SS.
                      Note, without a bootable disk image, SS will not shut down. :-(
                      6. When I boot Macos, I was asked to intialize the volume, I chose
                      MacOS standard and intialized it.
                      7. Disk utility mounts the image, but finds no file system on in it
                      claiming no partition map.

                      Thanks,

                      Geoff.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 13, 2009

                        > What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
                        > your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
                        > other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
                        > legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

                        Absolutely right - I simply forgot about all those PPC-only applications...!