New version of SheepShaver install in progress - what needs to be added/fixed?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2009
      I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the latest,
      apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.

      One of the SS fixes is the cursor alignment. The release has two versions
      of SS, one with a 'hardware' fix and one with a 'software fix'. To
      obviate confusion among new users, I'd like to include only one of
      these in the install package. Of course, the readme will include
      discussion and a link to the two versions. I'm more comfortable
      with the hardware fix myself, and think that might be generally true.
      Does anyone have any thoughts on which one to include?

      Another addition will be the currently-separately-available
      "Open WP Files in OSX" set of Applescripts, that lets you double-
      click on a WP file in the OSX Finder (or find a file using Spotlight),
      and then switches to SheepShaver and opens the file in WP
      automatically.

      The update to this will show the WP document icon in the OSX Finder,
      rather than the current generic (plain white) icon. Any suggestions
      for this component also welcome.

      I hope I can shamelessly copy Ed Mendelson's install Applescripts
      that he included with his WPApplianceFiles set. These will make
      installation and configuration much easier. (I shamelessly copied
      his excellent printing setup, for WP to print or to write a PDF, for the
      original SheepShaver install, so I trust this will be OK too.)

      The 500mb disk image size is I think OK, for a complete and
      functional OS and WP setup, with the suggestion that most WP
      documents be kept in the OSX Documents folder or a subfolder
      of it, with that designated as the SS Unix disk, so that Gero
      Herrman's fine WP Spotlight plugin, version 2, can index the WP
      documents (created on any platform). With the Open WP Files
      in OSX Applescript, you can search for text in any WP file in
      Spotlight and then open the file directly from the Spotlight
      menu or window.

      The Applescript that gives WP in SS access to Apple's OSX
      dictionary will also be included.

      My next project will be to fix the currently broken Regular
      Expression (GREP) search utility. The engine works fine, so I
      just have to find what else I put in that thing that SS doesn't
      like.

      Adding everything up, in terms of stability, features,
      performance and elegance, it's hard to see how any OSX word
      processor could be better.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2009

        > I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the latest,
        > apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.

        Delighted to hear that this is one the way. Of course you're welcome
        to use those Applescripts I cobbled together. The latest version (same
        link -but from the DMG file, not the ZIP now) is much improved.
        You'll be able to clean up the code in a hundred ways.

        I also put the ROM and keyboard file in the Resources of Basilisk II
        for a cleaner installation; this should of course be possible with
        SheepShaver also.

        The current version of the system includes a few extensions and
        control panels that might come in handy. I uploaded a new version
        earlier today.

        My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
        than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include any
        features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
        machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
        in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
        what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
        maybe I'm missing something obvious.

        We'll all be very grateful for version 2.0!
      • somniferous1
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
          John,

          If you are asking for wish lists I would wish for a one click script
          that would allow me to have *any* application launch the slick way you
          suggest that wordperfect would launch. What a wonderful thing that
          would be.

          Not having used SS much the one thing I found cumbersome was folder
          storage, I would love to be able to use subfolders and store my OSX
          with my OS9 data for logical filing. In my extremely limited use of
          SS that filing system didn't seem possible unless I moved the file I
          wanted to SS and back again each time.

          I wonder as Edward does, what are the pros and cons of Basilisk II
          compared to SS. I have only seen SS in action and that of course was
          on the PC.

          I just bought an Intel MacBookPro because I am was excited to hear
          that my PPC applications (I use on my G4) might run on it. I like the
          idea of a non jittery cursor. I think I might await the new
          installation because when I installed SS on the PC I found it was very
          involved and would love to have a simpler installation. The one Edward
          created sounded so elegant that I have visions of using all my
          favorite programs!

          Thanks for asking. And thanks for keeping the old mac programs alive.
          Weren't some of them simply the best?

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@>
          wrote:

          > > I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the
          latest,
          > > apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.
          ...snip...

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009

            > I'm starting to update the install package. It will include the latest,
            > apparently bug-free release of SheepShaver.

            One more thought: this is beyond my AppleScript abilities, but
            you'll probably know how to do it:

            Is it possible to write a First Time Setup Applescript to be run
            from within SheepShaver? All it would do is set the default
            destination for the default printer to be the folder in the Unix
            folder that you use for PrintFiles.

            This part of the setup is the only thing I wasn't able to script
            for my Basilisk II system. It would be good to be able to save
            the user the trouble of following instructions to set this up -
            and would save time on help requests too...
          • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
              On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 02:52:12PM -0000, Edward Mendelson wrote:
              >This part of the setup is the only thing I wasn't able to script
              >for my Basilisk II system. It would be good to be able to save
              >the user the trouble of following instructions to set this up -
              >and would save time on help requests too...

              Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
              a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
              with Leopard's disk utility.

              I know many people who use WP among other tools and having a setup
              with the WP packages installed, on a larger virtual disk along with
              MacOS 9, would allow them to move to Leopard.

              Any instructions, pointers, etc, would be appriciated.

              Geoff.

              --
              Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
                wrote:

                > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
                > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include
                any
                > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
                > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
                > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
                > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
                > maybe I'm missing something obvious.

                I too applaud John's efforts. While I yet haven't had to use them,
                one of these days I'll either finally move up to Leopard or decide it's
                time to replace one or another of our PPC machines. I haven't tried
                the Basilisk version, but I wonder if there are some other classic aps
                I and others might want to use that will run under Sheepshaver but not
                Basilisk?

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN

              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
                  John,

                  One further point. I hope you might be able to write an
                  AppleScript that would run the first time SheepShaver
                  is opened so that it could set up the destination folder
                  for the printer driver. I've tried using Akua Sweets and
                  Sigma's Additions to script this, but I'm afraid it's
                  beyond me to get the buttons pushed and the Save
                  location specified in the print dialog.

                  If it's possible to write such a script, could I suggest
                  that it work this way:

                  The disk image would include an alias to the script
                  in the startup items folder. The alias would launch the
                  script when SheepShaver runs on the user's system for
                  the first time. After it completes successfully, it would
                  move the alias to itself out of the startup items so that
                  thescript wouldn't run on subsequent startups, but it
                  would be available for use if the user needs to repair
                  the printing setup.

                  If this could be done, then the entire setup operation
                  could be automated, and that would reduce drastically
                  the time and effort needed to walk people through
                  the procedure later on.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:

                    > Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
                    > a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
                    > with Leopard's disk utility.

                    Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
                    happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009

                      > My only question: is there any benefit to using SheepShaver rather
                      > than Basilisk II? Basilisk II is a lot faster, and WP doesn't include any
                      > features that require a PowerPC computer instead of the 680x0
                      > machine emulated by Basilisk II. On my machine, Basilisk II boots
                      > in three seconds; SheepShaver takes fifteen. I'm not sure I see
                      > what the real-world benefit is of using SheepShaver instead, but
                      > maybe I'm missing something obvious.

                      When I first did this I compared SS and Basilisk, comparing not load
                      times but speed times in intensive operation such as spell-checking.
                      I found SS (using PowerPC WP) slightly faster than Basilisk with 68K
                      WP, but nothing decisive. I remembered that the 68K version seemed
                      to have a couple of bugs the PPC version didn't, including something
                      with hyphenation. I also found it harder to set Basilisk to a large
                      screen size, but I didn't take a close look there.

                      What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
                      your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
                      other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
                      legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

                      John R.
                    • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 12, 2009
                        On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:22:00AM -0000, John Rethorst wrote:
                        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Speaking of instructions, I can't find, or figure out any way of creating
                        >> a new disk image that works with SheepShaver AND can be checked/repaired
                        >> with Leopard's disk utility.
                        >
                        >Use SheepShaver Prefs (the original) to create a disk image. What
                        >happens when you quit SS and then check this image with Disk Utility?

                        1. I created an image, New.dsk, with SS prefs.
                        2. I tried to open it with disk utility and it would not find it.
                        3. I renamed it new.dmg.
                        4. Disk utility opened it, but could not find any mountable file systems.
                        5. I changed the prefs to the new image and started SS.
                        Note, without a bootable disk image, SS will not shut down. :-(
                        6. When I boot Macos, I was asked to intialize the volume, I chose
                        MacOS standard and intialized it.
                        7. Disk utility mounts the image, but finds no file system on in it
                        claiming no partition map.

                        Thanks,

                        Geoff.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 13, 2009

                          > What I think's best would be to keep an SS install available along with
                          > your fine WPApplianceFiles setup with Basilisk, as some users may have
                          > other reasons to choose one or the other, e.g. running another
                          > legacy app as well that needs either PPC or 68K.

                          Absolutely right - I simply forgot about all those PPC-only applications...!