Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [wpmac] Spotlight Plug-in 2.0

Expand Messages
  • Smokey Ardisson
    Gero, this is great; thanks! A lot of people have asked me the same thing, and I m now glad I can point them to a solution! ... Is it possible to add the
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Gero, this is great; thanks! A lot of people have asked me the same
      thing, and I'm now glad I can point them to a solution!

      On Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:27 pm ((PST)), "gero_herrmann" <yahoo.no@_> wrote:

      >WP documents from other platforms are recognized by the extensions
      >.wp, .wp4, .wp5, .wp6, and .wpd. WP Mac documents do not need any
      >filename extension. In fact, they should not have an extension (or to
      >be more precise, at least not one starting with ".wp") in order to be
      >indexed with the same performance and extra features as with version
      >1.0.2.

      Is it possible to add the ".WP5" ".WP6" and "WPPC" file types to the
      list of things used to tell the importer to use the wpd2text import
      path? (Given Spotlight's inability to find files by type code on
      10.5, I'm not sure if I have any of these files without the matching
      .wp* extension or not.)

      One note to others who are trying this new version: simply installing
      the new version of the importer will not be sufficient to enable
      searching for the contents of the PC WordPerfect documents. Any
      WP-PC documents you have on your disk(s) right now will have already
      been tagged with a "dummy" Spotlight content type by Spotlight, which
      prevents Spotlight from using the WordPerfect importer to import them
      :P

      I seem to have gotten this working by first killing my LaunchServives
      database :-( and then by triggering a full Spotlight reindex. (I
      suppose it's possible that a complete reindex alone would have solved
      the problem, but everything I found about the bad
      (dyn.lots-of-random-chars) content types indicated a full
      LaunchServices rebuild was necessary.)

      The following Terminal commands should do the trick (note if you have
      multiple disks that Spotlight indexes, you'll need to repeat the
      second command with the appropriate UNIX path for any additional
      disks)

      `locate lsregister` -kill -r -all local,system,user
      sudo mdutil -E /

      Smokey
    • Smokey Ardisson
      On Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:19 pm ((PST)), Smokey Ardisson ... And then by the end of yesterday, all my WP docs were back to having dyn.blahblahblah content
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        On Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:19 pm ((PST)), "Smokey Ardisson"
        <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

        >I seem to have gotten this working by first killing my LaunchServives
        >database :-( and then by triggering a full Spotlight reindex. (I
        >suppose it's possible that a complete reindex alone would have solved
        >the problem, but everything I found about the bad
        >(dyn.lots-of-random-chars) content types indicated a full
        >LaunchServices rebuild was necessary.)

        And then by the end of yesterday, all my WP docs were back to having
        "dyn.blahblahblah" content types and their content was again
        invisible to Spotlight. I'm not sure what's going on :/

        Smokey
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.