Re: [wpmac] [OT] Thieves winning cybersecurity war - NY Times

  • John Kaufmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2008
      In a message dated 2008.12.07 19:38 -0500, John Rethorst wrote:
      > New York Times, December 6, 2008
      > <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/technology/internet/06security.html>

      John, thanks for posting that. It's of interest - should be of critical
      interest - even for other-than-Windows users, because we all need to be
      aware of the vulnerability of this medium and the costs of getting things wrong.

      That in turn leads to thoughts of how we might reduce the exposure, and one
      is constantly struck by the degree to which attacks are, as the article
      says, borne by email and depend for their success on only a very small
      percentage of users doing the click-on-this-link thing. But in the cost
      calculus of attackers, that percentage of stupid users can be vanishingly
      small, because the cost of reaching them is even smaller - which make me
      shake my head in wonder why the Internet is not a fee-for-service structure,
      with some non-zero cost (say, a penny/1K/recipient) for the transmission of
      each email.

      Yes, that could take a toll on legitimate mail operations, like mailing
      lists such as this one. But there's no free lunch, and users might welcome
      the chance to pay for list memberships out of monthly connection fees,
      especially if it made the medium more secure. Thieves hack for profit; the
      key to reducing the threat is to reduce the profit motive. It's amazing
      that we still resist that proposition.

      John K.