Caution regarding "Grouply" meta-group service

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2008
      A knowledgeable member of this group sent me this email:
      an invitation he received to join Grouply. I have also received
      these, and do not plan to join it, partly because of these privacy
      issues.

      John R.

      I have received, off-list, and unsolicited, the following message:

      ====

      We share the MarklinBandG group. I want to add you as a friend
      in Grouply so you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups,
      and my favorite group messages.

      Here is the link: [link omitted]

      mark

      ====

      Grouply is a matter of some controversy. See, e.g.,

      http://www.ncs-tech.org/?p=1146

      http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080209214049AAtha6M

      for details.

      Briefly, in order to join Grouply, you must tell Grouply your
      YahooID and password. Grouply also overrides any privacy
      settings that you have established at Yahoo.

      I read a number of train-oriented Yahoogroups in addition to
      this one. On many of those groups, the moderators have
      asked people *not* to join Grouply due to the privacy concerns.
      Among other things, the entire archives of lists may become
      available to people who are not list members, making it easy
      to harvest list members' email addresses for the purposes of
      spamming.

      I myself will not be joining Grouply.