[wpmac] Re: WOW! (Was: A small and simple way to use WPMac files on today's Macs)

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@...> wrote:

      > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
      > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
      > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
      > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

      John knows his system far better than I do, so
      perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
      But here's my first impression:

      ADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

      Modern, full-featured OS 8/9 equivalent, which
      can work with almost all current documents. Can
      be used for ordinary day-to-day work in WPMac.

      Fully-equipped WordPerfect for the Mac setup, with
      all of John's macros, add-ons, etc. WordPerfect
      has been tweaked to use elegant modern fonts.

      Good-looking OS 8/9 interface, complete with screen
      savers, elegant fonts, and with the convenient menu
      structure of OS 8/9.

      Includes well-chosen convenience programs for
      finding files, etc.

      Can run almost full-screen.

      DISADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

      Needs some manual setup (though I suspect the next
      version won't need any manual setup).

      Slow to load.

      ADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

      Single-click installation; no manual setup.

      Very fast to load (five seconds or less).

      Contains multiple versions of WordPerfect
      for opening password-protected versions of
      older files.

      DISADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

      Ugly, limited System 7.5.5 interface.

      WordPerfect uses the ugly old default fonts.

      WordPerfect 3.5e setup lacks John's terrific
      add-ons.

      Because it emulates an old 68K Mac, this
      system can't run modern software. The included
      Acrobat Reader gives error messages when
      opening modern PDF files.

      Can only run in standard screen sizes (up to
      1024X768).

      ---------------------

      That's a start, anyway. There's a lot more in
      John's setup that I haven't begun to explore.
    • John Sandel
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
        That looks like a good start. Not being familiar with either
        implementation, I can't comment on it. Maybe others can … John R …?

        JS

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2008

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
          > > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
          > > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
          > > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?
          >
          > John knows his system far better than I do, so
          > perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
          > But here's my first impression:

          When I wrote my tentative list of differences between the two
          systems, I thought mine could NOT run almost full-screen.
          I now find that it can. Details later if anyone wants them.

          I'm touching up my original system with a few minor
          improvements. If anyone has any suggestions, please let
          me know.
        • Grace
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
            I just joined this group today and found this to very helpful! Thank you!

            Grace

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>