Re: WOW! (Was: A small and simple way to use WPMac files on today's Macs)

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

      > All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
      > closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
      > when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
      > there. So just saying...

      Exactly what is that are you just saying? That you read my earlier
      message, which has a single download link, and used it? Or that
      you gave up before reading that message, and didn't try
      downloading that one single file and clicking the one single
      "Install" icon that the icon produces?
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@...> wrote:

        > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
        > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
        > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
        > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

        John knows his system far better than I do, so
        perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
        But here's my first impression:

        ADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

        Modern, full-featured OS 8/9 equivalent, which
        can work with almost all current documents. Can
        be used for ordinary day-to-day work in WPMac.

        Fully-equipped WordPerfect for the Mac setup, with
        all of John's macros, add-ons, etc. WordPerfect
        has been tweaked to use elegant modern fonts.

        Good-looking OS 8/9 interface, complete with screen
        savers, elegant fonts, and with the convenient menu
        structure of OS 8/9.

        Includes well-chosen convenience programs for
        finding files, etc.

        Can run almost full-screen.

        DISADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

        Needs some manual setup (though I suspect the next
        version won't need any manual setup).

        Slow to load.

        ADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

        Single-click installation; no manual setup.

        Very fast to load (five seconds or less).

        Contains multiple versions of WordPerfect
        for opening password-protected versions of
        older files.

        DISADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

        Ugly, limited System 7.5.5 interface.

        WordPerfect uses the ugly old default fonts.

        WordPerfect 3.5e setup lacks John's terrific
        add-ons.

        Because it emulates an old 68K Mac, this
        system can't run modern software. The included
        Acrobat Reader gives error messages when
        opening modern PDF files.

        Can only run in standard screen sizes (up to
        1024X768).

        ---------------------

        That's a start, anyway. There's a lot more in
        John's setup that I haven't begun to explore.
      • John Sandel
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
          That looks like a good start. Not being familiar with either
          implementation, I can't comment on it. Maybe others can … John R …?

          JS

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2008

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
            > > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
            > > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
            > > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?
            >
            > John knows his system far better than I do, so
            > perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
            > But here's my first impression:

            When I wrote my tentative list of differences between the two
            systems, I thought mine could NOT run almost full-screen.
            I now find that it can. Details later if anyone wants them.

            I'm touching up my original system with a few minor
            improvements. If anyone has any suggestions, please let
            me know.
          • Grace
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
              I just joined this group today and found this to very helpful! Thank you!

              Grace

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>