Re: WOW! (Was: A small and simple way to use WPMac files on today's Macs)

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008

      > Terrific!

      John,

      Does that mean it worked??? (I hope so.) (And does it work
      on Tiger, which I think I remember you're still using?)

      And I hope the script has some interesting tidbits. Someday
      I may actually learn Applescript so that the whole thing can
      be a bit more consistent.

      Since uploading, I've added a test for Intel/PPC to the script
      and will post a revised file someday before too long.

      E.
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Terrific!
        > >

        > John,
        >
        > Does that mean it worked???

        Thank you all for continuing this. I tried to figure it out and finally
        gave up. :-(

        All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
        closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
        when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
        there. So just saying...

        thank you...

        mikeca
      • John Sandel
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
          Ed, this is kind of amazing. Have you considered running for
          President? I hear the job's gonna be open in a day or two …

          I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
          well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
          2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
          two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

          If it's not too much trouble, it may go a long way towards answering
          FAQs and help fend off repeated questions to the list about "Which
          should I use?" and "Will it do [X]?"

          If this seems like a good idea, you could post the comparison chart to
          the Yahoo group as usual and refer folks there.

          Well done!

          JS

          On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Edward Mendelson <em315@...> wrote:
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Terrific!
          >>

          > John,
          >
          > Does that mean it worked??? (I hope so.) (And does it work
          > on Tiger, which I think I remember you're still using?)
          >
          > And I hope the script has some interesting tidbits. Someday
          > I may actually learn Applescript so that the whole thing can
          > be a bit more consistent.
          >
          > Since uploading, I've added a test for Intel/PPC to the script
          > and will post a revised file someday before too long.
          >
          > E.

        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

            > All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
            > closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
            > when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
            > there. So just saying...

            Exactly what is that are you just saying? That you read my earlier
            message, which has a single download link, and used it? Or that
            you gave up before reading that message, and didn't try
            downloading that one single file and clicking the one single
            "Install" icon that the icon produces?
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@...> wrote:

              > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
              > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
              > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
              > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

              John knows his system far better than I do, so
              perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
              But here's my first impression:

              ADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

              Modern, full-featured OS 8/9 equivalent, which
              can work with almost all current documents. Can
              be used for ordinary day-to-day work in WPMac.

              Fully-equipped WordPerfect for the Mac setup, with
              all of John's macros, add-ons, etc. WordPerfect
              has been tweaked to use elegant modern fonts.

              Good-looking OS 8/9 interface, complete with screen
              savers, elegant fonts, and with the convenient menu
              structure of OS 8/9.

              Includes well-chosen convenience programs for
              finding files, etc.

              Can run almost full-screen.

              DISADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

              Needs some manual setup (though I suspect the next
              version won't need any manual setup).

              Slow to load.

              ADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

              Single-click installation; no manual setup.

              Very fast to load (five seconds or less).

              Contains multiple versions of WordPerfect
              for opening password-protected versions of
              older files.

              DISADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

              Ugly, limited System 7.5.5 interface.

              WordPerfect uses the ugly old default fonts.

              WordPerfect 3.5e setup lacks John's terrific
              add-ons.

              Because it emulates an old 68K Mac, this
              system can't run modern software. The included
              Acrobat Reader gives error messages when
              opening modern PDF files.

              Can only run in standard screen sizes (up to
              1024X768).

              ---------------------

              That's a start, anyway. There's a lot more in
              John's setup that I haven't begun to explore.
            • John Sandel
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                That looks like a good start. Not being familiar with either
                implementation, I can't comment on it. Maybe others can … John R …?

                JS

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 4, 2008

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
                  > > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
                  > > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
                  > > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?
                  >
                  > John knows his system far better than I do, so
                  > perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
                  > But here's my first impression:

                  When I wrote my tentative list of differences between the two
                  systems, I thought mine could NOT run almost full-screen.
                  I now find that it can. Details later if anyone wants them.

                  I'm touching up my original system with a few minor
                  improvements. If anyone has any suggestions, please let
                  me know.
                • Grace
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
                    I just joined this group today and found this to very helpful! Thank you!

                    Grace

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>