Re: [wpmac] A small and simple way to use WPMac files on today's Macs

  • Daryl Chinn
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi,

      I'm still using a Powerbook G4 with WP 3.5e and various workarounds to get the printers I have to work. I'm straddling the line between Intel Macs and haven't moved to 10.5, but I follow all this WP group assiduously for the time when I move over to the Intel Macs.

      Many, many, thanks to John, Ed, and all of you (I can't name everyone, sorry!) keeping WP Mac alive and running well, and even, with Ed's addition, differently (but the same).

      Daryl

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008

        > Terrific!

        John,

        Does that mean it worked??? (I hope so.) (And does it work
        on Tiger, which I think I remember you're still using?)

        And I hope the script has some interesting tidbits. Someday
        I may actually learn Applescript so that the whole thing can
        be a bit more consistent.

        Since uploading, I've added a test for Intel/PPC to the script
        and will post a revised file someday before too long.

        E.
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Terrific!
          > >

          > John,
          >
          > Does that mean it worked???

          Thank you all for continuing this. I tried to figure it out and finally
          gave up. :-(

          All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
          closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
          when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
          there. So just saying...

          thank you...

          mikeca
        • John Sandel
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
            Ed, this is kind of amazing. Have you considered running for
            President? I hear the job's gonna be open in a day or two …

            I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
            well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
            2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
            two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

            If it's not too much trouble, it may go a long way towards answering
            FAQs and help fend off repeated questions to the list about "Which
            should I use?" and "Will it do [X]?"

            If this seems like a good idea, you could post the comparison chart to
            the Yahoo group as usual and refer folks there.

            Well done!

            JS

            On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Edward Mendelson <em315@...> wrote:
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> Terrific!
            >>

            > John,
            >
            > Does that mean it worked??? (I hope so.) (And does it work
            > on Tiger, which I think I remember you're still using?)
            >
            > And I hope the script has some interesting tidbits. Someday
            > I may actually learn Applescript so that the whole thing can
            > be a bit more consistent.
            >
            > Since uploading, I've added a test for Intel/PPC to the script
            > and will post a revised file someday before too long.
            >
            > E.

          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

              > All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
              > closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
              > when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
              > there. So just saying...

              Exactly what is that are you just saying? That you read my earlier
              message, which has a single download link, and used it? Or that
              you gave up before reading that message, and didn't try
              downloading that one single file and clicking the one single
              "Install" icon that the icon produces?
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@...> wrote:

                > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
                > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
                > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
                > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

                John knows his system far better than I do, so
                perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
                But here's my first impression:

                ADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

                Modern, full-featured OS 8/9 equivalent, which
                can work with almost all current documents. Can
                be used for ordinary day-to-day work in WPMac.

                Fully-equipped WordPerfect for the Mac setup, with
                all of John's macros, add-ons, etc. WordPerfect
                has been tweaked to use elegant modern fonts.

                Good-looking OS 8/9 interface, complete with screen
                savers, elegant fonts, and with the convenient menu
                structure of OS 8/9.

                Includes well-chosen convenience programs for
                finding files, etc.

                Can run almost full-screen.

                DISADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

                Needs some manual setup (though I suspect the next
                version won't need any manual setup).

                Slow to load.

                ADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

                Single-click installation; no manual setup.

                Very fast to load (five seconds or less).

                Contains multiple versions of WordPerfect
                for opening password-protected versions of
                older files.

                DISADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

                Ugly, limited System 7.5.5 interface.

                WordPerfect uses the ugly old default fonts.

                WordPerfect 3.5e setup lacks John's terrific
                add-ons.

                Because it emulates an old 68K Mac, this
                system can't run modern software. The included
                Acrobat Reader gives error messages when
                opening modern PDF files.

                Can only run in standard screen sizes (up to
                1024X768).

                ---------------------

                That's a start, anyway. There's a lot more in
                John's setup that I haven't begun to explore.
              • John Sandel
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  That looks like a good start. Not being familiar with either
                  implementation, I can't comment on it. Maybe others can … John R …?

                  JS

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 4, 2008

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
                    > > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
                    > > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
                    > > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?
                    >
                    > John knows his system far better than I do, so
                    > perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
                    > But here's my first impression:

                    When I wrote my tentative list of differences between the two
                    systems, I thought mine could NOT run almost full-screen.
                    I now find that it can. Details later if anyone wants them.

                    I'm touching up my original system with a few minor
                    improvements. If anyone has any suggestions, please let
                    me know.
                  • Grace
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
                      I just joined this group today and found this to very helpful! Thank you!

                      Grace

                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>