Re: [wpmac] A small and simple way to use WPMac files on today's Macs

  • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 07:06:23PM -0000, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      >Inspired by John Rethorst's ambitious and powerful
      >SheepShaver/WordPerfect setup, I've put together a
      >much smaller and more limited way to run WPMac on
      >today's Macs.

      Thanks, this will definitely come in handy.

      >It works a bit like John's method in
      >that it uses an old "emulator" program called
      >Basilisk II to create a "virtual" early-1990s-era
      >Mac on your OS X desktop, in the same way that
      >John's method uses the SheepShaver emulator to
      >create a "virtual" high-powered Classic Mac.

      Inspired by this, I tried to use it with an existing BII virtual
      Mac running under Windows XP.

      Here's what I did to get it to work:

      1. I unzipped the file using the command line unzip program.
      2. I moved the WPAppliance.dmg file to my BII file directory.
      3. I renamed it wp.hfv as the Windows version cares about the file type.

      Unfortunately it did not work, my virtual Mac wanted to initialize the disk.

      4. I burned the disk image to a CD ROM using Nero. I told it the file
      was an HFS image.

      5. I rebooted my virtual Mac (started BII) with the CD in the drive.

      6. The Mac started up and recognized the disk as a regular disk volume.

      7. I initialized the disk image (why waste the space?).

      8. I copied the files from the CD to the new disk image.

      I did it this way so that if I wanted to I could boot the disk I created
      instead of my existing Mac disk.

      Possibly useful information:

      BII for Windows NT v0.8 (build 142)
      Windows XP SP/3
      System 7.5.5
      ROM from a Centris 610
      Virtual 68040 processor
      32m RAM

      Note that if the CD was not already in the drive at boot time, or inserted
      immediately afterward, the virtual Mac did not recognize it. It thought it
      was an audio CD.

      Geoff.

      --
      Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
    • Daryl Chinn
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi,

        I'm still using a Powerbook G4 with WP 3.5e and various workarounds to get the printers I have to work. I'm straddling the line between Intel Macs and haven't moved to 10.5, but I follow all this WP group assiduously for the time when I move over to the Intel Macs.

        Many, many, thanks to John, Ed, and all of you (I can't name everyone, sorry!) keeping WP Mac alive and running well, and even, with Ed's addition, differently (but the same).

        Daryl

        > Inspired by John Rethorst's ambitious and powerful
        > SheepShaver/WordPerfect setup, I've put together a
        > much smaller and more limited way to run WPMac on
        > today's Macs. It works a bit like John's method in
        > that it uses an old "emulator" program called
        > Basilisk II to create a "virtual" early-1990s-era

      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008

          > Terrific!

          John,

          Does that mean it worked??? (I hope so.) (And does it work
          on Tiger, which I think I remember you're still using?)

          And I hope the script has some interesting tidbits. Someday
          I may actually learn Applescript so that the whole thing can
          be a bit more consistent.

          Since uploading, I've added a test for Intel/PPC to the script
          and will post a revised file someday before too long.

          E.
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Terrific!
            > >

            > John,
            >
            > Does that mean it worked???

            Thank you all for continuing this. I tried to figure it out and finally
            gave up. :-(

            All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
            closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
            when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
            there. So just saying...

            thank you...

            mikeca
          • John Sandel
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
              Ed, this is kind of amazing. Have you considered running for
              President? I hear the job's gonna be open in a day or two …

              I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
              well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
              2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
              two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

              If it's not too much trouble, it may go a long way towards answering
              FAQs and help fend off repeated questions to the list about "Which
              should I use?" and "Will it do [X]?"

              If this seems like a good idea, you could post the comparison chart to
              the Yahoo group as usual and refer folks there.

              Well done!

              JS

              On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Edward Mendelson <em315@...> wrote:
              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Terrific!
              >>

              > John,
              >
              > Does that mean it worked??? (I hope so.) (And does it work
              > on Tiger, which I think I remember you're still using?)
              >
              > And I hope the script has some interesting tidbits. Someday
              > I may actually learn Applescript so that the whole thing can
              > be a bit more consistent.
              >
              > Since uploading, I've added a test for Intel/PPC to the script
              > and will post a revised file someday before too long.
              >
              > E.

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                > All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
                > closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
                > when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
                > there. So just saying...

                Exactly what is that are you just saying? That you read my earlier
                message, which has a single download link, and used it? Or that
                you gave up before reading that message, and didn't try
                downloading that one single file and clicking the one single
                "Install" icon that the icon produces?
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@...> wrote:

                  > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
                  > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
                  > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
                  > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

                  John knows his system far better than I do, so
                  perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
                  But here's my first impression:

                  ADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

                  Modern, full-featured OS 8/9 equivalent, which
                  can work with almost all current documents. Can
                  be used for ordinary day-to-day work in WPMac.

                  Fully-equipped WordPerfect for the Mac setup, with
                  all of John's macros, add-ons, etc. WordPerfect
                  has been tweaked to use elegant modern fonts.

                  Good-looking OS 8/9 interface, complete with screen
                  savers, elegant fonts, and with the convenient menu
                  structure of OS 8/9.

                  Includes well-chosen convenience programs for
                  finding files, etc.

                  Can run almost full-screen.

                  DISADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

                  Needs some manual setup (though I suspect the next
                  version won't need any manual setup).

                  Slow to load.

                  ADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

                  Single-click installation; no manual setup.

                  Very fast to load (five seconds or less).

                  Contains multiple versions of WordPerfect
                  for opening password-protected versions of
                  older files.

                  DISADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

                  Ugly, limited System 7.5.5 interface.

                  WordPerfect uses the ugly old default fonts.

                  WordPerfect 3.5e setup lacks John's terrific
                  add-ons.

                  Because it emulates an old 68K Mac, this
                  system can't run modern software. The included
                  Acrobat Reader gives error messages when
                  opening modern PDF files.

                  Can only run in standard screen sizes (up to
                  1024X768).

                  ---------------------

                  That's a start, anyway. There's a lot more in
                  John's setup that I haven't begun to explore.
                • John Sandel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                    That looks like a good start. Not being familiar with either
                    implementation, I can't comment on it. Maybe others can … John R …?

                    JS

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 4, 2008

                      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
                      > > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
                      > > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
                      > > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?
                      >
                      > John knows his system far better than I do, so
                      > perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
                      > But here's my first impression:

                      When I wrote my tentative list of differences between the two
                      systems, I thought mine could NOT run almost full-screen.
                      I now find that it can. Details later if anyone wants them.

                      I'm touching up my original system with a few minor
                      improvements. If anyone has any suggestions, please let
                      me know.
                    • Grace
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
                        I just joined this group today and found this to very helpful! Thank you!

                        Grace

                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>