A small and simple way to use WPMac files on today's Macs

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
      Inspired by John Rethorst's ambitious and powerful
      SheepShaver/WordPerfect setup, I've put together a
      much smaller and more limited way to run WPMac on
      today's Macs. It works a bit like John's method in
      that it uses an old "emulator" program called
      Basilisk II to create a "virtual" early-1990s-era
      Mac on your OS X desktop, in the same way that
      John's method uses the SheepShaver emulator to
      create a "virtual" high-powered Classic Mac.

      My method simply and shamelessly copies
      some of the best things in John's method,
      including the script that automatically
      prints or creates a PDF file from WPMac.

      The difference between the methods are these:

      1. Mine includes copies of WPMac 1.0.5, 2.1.3,
      3.5.4, and the final version, 3.5e (enhanced) so
      that anyone with ancient files can open them on
      ancient versions of the software. (This seems to
      be the only way to open password-protected WP 1.x
      files.) John's has 3.5e only, but with lots of
      add-on macros and other convenience features.

      2. My more limited method requires no setting-up.
      You simply run the Installer script, and it does
      all the setting-up for you. You may need to do
      some minimal setting-up inside WPMac if you want
      to print or create a PDF file, but this is fully
      explained in the Read Me file that opens at
      the end of the installation.

      3. John's method is designed to be a full working
      environment, complete with bells, whistles, and
      all modern conveniences. Mine is an absolutely
      minimal system, designed to open WPMac files so
      you can read them or print them, or convert them
      to other formats when saving them. That's all it
      does. If you use WPMac regularly, forget about my
      method, and use John's method. If you merely have
      some old WPMac files that you need to look at or
      convert, you might want to try my more limited
      method.

      John's system and mine can coexist on the same
      system. They don't conflict with each other in
      any way.

      If you want to try it out, go to this address:

      http://public.me.com/emendelson

      and click the down-arrow next to the filename
      WPApplianceFiles.zip. If you're running Leopard
      (which the only system I've tested this on) the
      download will automatically create a folder
      named WPAppliance Files in your Downloads
      folder. Launch the installation script and
      follow the prompts.

      The installation script is fairly complex in
      order to make things go as smoothly as possible
      for the user. It works on my Intel-Leopard Mac,
      but it may not work on yours. I created a new
      user account on my Mac, logged in to the new
      account, downloaded the file, and installed the
      system. It worked - but, again, it may not
      work on your system or with your account.

      This system comes with absolutely no technical
      or any other kind of support. It's designed to
      be completely benign, but it may cause your
      computer to explode or it may cause your
      coffeemaker to burn out. It may cause you to
      lose your teeth or your hair or your patience;
      I doubt it, but be warned that no one has tested
      this but me. If anything goes wrong, I probably
      can't fix it for you, though I may try to get
      the system to work better in the future.

      Note to John: The installer script shows that I
      know nothing about Applescript, but it includes
      a couple of techniques that you may want to
      look at in case they're useful for future
      versions of your SheepShaver setup.
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
        Terrific!

> [...]
        > but it may not work on yours. I created a new
        > user account on my Mac, logged in to the new
        > account, downloaded the file, and installed the
        > system. It worked - but, again, it may not
        > work on your system or with your account.
        >
        > This system comes with absolutely no technical
        > or any other kind of support. It's designed to
        > be completely benign, but it may cause your
        > computer to explode or it may cause your
        > coffeemaker to burn out. It may cause you to
        > lose your teeth or your hair or your patience;
        > I doubt it, but be warned that no one has tested
        > this but me. If anything goes wrong, I probably
        > can't fix it for you, though I may try to get
        > the system to work better in the future.
        >
        > Note to John: The installer script shows that I
        > know nothing about Applescript, but it includes
        > a couple of techniques that you may want to
        > look at in case they're useful for future

      • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
          On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 07:06:23PM -0000, Edward Mendelson wrote:
          >Inspired by John Rethorst's ambitious and powerful
          >SheepShaver/WordPerfect setup, I've put together a
          >much smaller and more limited way to run WPMac on
          >today's Macs.

          Thanks, this will definitely come in handy.

          >It works a bit like John's method in
          >that it uses an old "emulator" program called
          >Basilisk II to create a "virtual" early-1990s-era
          >Mac on your OS X desktop, in the same way that
          >John's method uses the SheepShaver emulator to
          >create a "virtual" high-powered Classic Mac.

          Inspired by this, I tried to use it with an existing BII virtual
          Mac running under Windows XP.

          Here's what I did to get it to work:

          1. I unzipped the file using the command line unzip program.
          2. I moved the WPAppliance.dmg file to my BII file directory.
          3. I renamed it wp.hfv as the Windows version cares about the file type.

          Unfortunately it did not work, my virtual Mac wanted to initialize the disk.

          4. I burned the disk image to a CD ROM using Nero. I told it the file
          was an HFS image.

          5. I rebooted my virtual Mac (started BII) with the CD in the drive.

          6. The Mac started up and recognized the disk as a regular disk volume.

          7. I initialized the disk image (why waste the space?).

          8. I copied the files from the CD to the new disk image.

          I did it this way so that if I wanted to I could boot the disk I created
          instead of my existing Mac disk.

          Possibly useful information:

          BII for Windows NT v0.8 (build 142)
          Windows XP SP/3
          System 7.5.5
          ROM from a Centris 610
          Virtual 68040 processor
          32m RAM

          Note that if the CD was not already in the drive at boot time, or inserted
          immediately afterward, the virtual Mac did not recognize it. It thought it
          was an audio CD.

          Geoff.

          --
          Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
        • Daryl Chinn
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
            Hi,

            I'm still using a Powerbook G4 with WP 3.5e and various workarounds to get the printers I have to work. I'm straddling the line between Intel Macs and haven't moved to 10.5, but I follow all this WP group assiduously for the time when I move over to the Intel Macs.

            Many, many, thanks to John, Ed, and all of you (I can't name everyone, sorry!) keeping WP Mac alive and running well, and even, with Ed's addition, differently (but the same).

            Daryl

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008

              > Terrific!

              John,

              Does that mean it worked??? (I hope so.) (And does it work
              on Tiger, which I think I remember you're still using?)

              And I hope the script has some interesting tidbits. Someday
              I may actually learn Applescript so that the whole thing can
              be a bit more consistent.

              Since uploading, I've added a test for Intel/PPC to the script
              and will post a revised file someday before too long.

              E.
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Terrific!
                > >

                > John,
                >
                > Does that mean it worked???

                Thank you all for continuing this. I tried to figure it out and finally
                gave up. :-(

                All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
                closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
                when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
                there. So just saying...

                thank you...

                mikeca
              • John Sandel
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                  Ed, this is kind of amazing. Have you considered running for
                  President? I hear the job's gonna be open in a day or two …

                  I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
                  well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
                  2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
                  two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

                  If it's not too much trouble, it may go a long way towards answering
                  FAQs and help fend off repeated questions to the list about "Which
                  should I use?" and "Will it do [X]?"

                  If this seems like a good idea, you could post the comparison chart to
                  the Yahoo group as usual and refer folks there.

                  Well done!

                  JS

                  On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Edward Mendelson <em315@...> wrote:
                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Terrific!
                  >>

                  > John,
                  >
                  > Does that mean it worked??? (I hope so.) (And does it work
                  > on Tiger, which I think I remember you're still using?)
                  >
                  > And I hope the script has some interesting tidbits. Someday
                  > I may actually learn Applescript so that the whole thing can
                  > be a bit more consistent.
                  >
                  > Since uploading, I've added a test for Intel/PPC to the script
                  > and will post a revised file someday before too long.
                  >
                  > E.

                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <mikesreach@...> wrote:

                    > All I have are intel Mac's (I mean I have others.. but they're in the
                    > closet getting ready to give to others as I get parts) When I figured
                    > when I couldn't even understand what to download... I shouldn't go
                    > there. So just saying...

                    Exactly what is that are you just saying? That you read my earlier
                    message, which has a single download link, and used it? Or that
                    you gave up before reading that message, and didn't try
                    downloading that one single file and clicking the one single
                    "Install" icon that the icon produces?
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@...> wrote:

                      > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
                      > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
                      > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
                      > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?

                      John knows his system far better than I do, so
                      perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
                      But here's my first impression:

                      ADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

                      Modern, full-featured OS 8/9 equivalent, which
                      can work with almost all current documents. Can
                      be used for ordinary day-to-day work in WPMac.

                      Fully-equipped WordPerfect for the Mac setup, with
                      all of John's macros, add-ons, etc. WordPerfect
                      has been tweaked to use elegant modern fonts.

                      Good-looking OS 8/9 interface, complete with screen
                      savers, elegant fonts, and with the convenient menu
                      structure of OS 8/9.

                      Includes well-chosen convenience programs for
                      finding files, etc.

                      Can run almost full-screen.

                      DISADVANTAGES OF JOHN'S SYSTEM:

                      Needs some manual setup (though I suspect the next
                      version won't need any manual setup).

                      Slow to load.

                      ADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

                      Single-click installation; no manual setup.

                      Very fast to load (five seconds or less).

                      Contains multiple versions of WordPerfect
                      for opening password-protected versions of
                      older files.

                      DISADVANTAGES OF MY SYSTEM:

                      Ugly, limited System 7.5.5 interface.

                      WordPerfect uses the ugly old default fonts.

                      WordPerfect 3.5e setup lacks John's terrific
                      add-ons.

                      Because it emulates an old 68K Mac, this
                      system can't run modern software. The included
                      Acrobat Reader gives error messages when
                      opening modern PDF files.

                      Can only run in standard screen sizes (up to
                      1024X768).

                      ---------------------

                      That's a start, anyway. There's a lot more in
                      John's setup that I haven't begun to explore.
                    • John Sandel
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                        That looks like a good start. Not being familiar with either
                        implementation, I can't comment on it. Maybe others can … John R …?

                        JS

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2008

                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Sandel" <flagnab@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I do have a serious suggestion: for newbies (& the ignorant, such as,
                          > > well, me), would either of you be willing to draw up a simple,
                          > > 2-column document checking off the salient differences between these
                          > > two approaches to deploying WPMac on OS X?
                          >
                          > John knows his system far better than I do, so
                          > perhaps I should leave the comparisons to him.
                          > But here's my first impression:

                          When I wrote my tentative list of differences between the two
                          systems, I thought mine could NOT run almost full-screen.
                          I now find that it can. Details later if anyone wants them.

                          I'm touching up my original system with a few minor
                          improvements. If anyone has any suggestions, please let
                          me know.
                        • Grace
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 6, 2008
                            I just joined this group today and found this to very helpful! Thank you!

                            Grace

                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em315@...>