Re: How to view WPWin 10 docs on Macbook?

  • thomasbriant
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sparklett162002"
      <sparklett162002@...> wrote:

      > I'm totally mental when it comes to computers. I had an HP laptop,
      > but then I purchased a MacBook, and the nice people at Mac
      > transferred the documents from my HP to my MacBook.
      >
      > However, I cannot view some of the documents because they were
      > saved as .wpd. I get an error message that says, "There is no
      > default application specified to open the document, "New
      > WordPerfect 10 Document (4).wpd". Can anyone suggest the
      > easiest way I could view the documents via iWork '08?

      Dear Sparklett:

      Here are my answers to your question: "What can read these
      WordPerfect 10 files right NOW!"

      1. Abiword. Go to www.abisource.com, download Abiword
      2.4.5, and install it. It's only 9 megabytes in size, so
      you can download it quickly. I tested it on a .WPD 11 file
      with a table in it, so it does work. It's free.

      You can save the wordperfect documents in Microsoft word
      (.doc) or Rich Text Format. (.rtf) and import them into
      Pages.

      2. MacLink Plus. This will convert back and forth between a
      WIDE variety of formats. You can order it directly from
      www.dataviz.com. Order it, download it, and install it with
      the serial codes you get upon purchase.

      WordPerfect is one of the supported formats, both
      Wordperfect for Windows and WordPerfect for Mac.

      3. Once you get the initial WordPerfect problem solved,
      come back here and learn how to install WordPerfect for Mac
      3.5e on a MacBook using Sheepshaver. John Rethorst, our
      esteemed leader, has done a fantastic job in keeping Wp for
      Mac a viable program.
    • J.J. McVeigh
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2008
        sparklett162002 wrote:

        >I'm totally mental when it comes to computers. I had an HP laptop,
        >but then I purchased a MacBook, and the nice people at Mac
        >transferred the documents from my HP to my MacBook.
        >
        >However, I cannot view some of the documents because they were
        >saved as .wpd. I get an error message that says, "There is no
        >default application specified to open the document, "New
        >WordPerfect 10 Document (4).wpd". Can anyone suggest the
        >easiest way I could view the documents via iWork '08?

        Translate them to WP Mac format with MacLink Plus
        http://www.dataviz.com

        or view them with NeoOffice
        http://www.neooffice.org
      • Paul Hogan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 19, 2008
          There are at least 2 ways.
          Download Abiword, which can at least open Wordperfect files
          Purchase or download and use during a free trial period (maybe) MacLink Plus
          Paul Hogan

          On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 8:32 AM, sparklett162002
          <sparklett162002@...>wrote:

          > I'm totally mental when it comes to computers. I had an HP laptop,
          > but then I purchased a MacBook, and the nice people at Mac
          > transferred the documents from my HP to my MacBook.
          >
          > However, I cannot view some of the documents because they were
          > saved as .wpd. I get an error message that says, "There is no
          > default application specified to open the document, "New
          > WordPerfect 10 Document (4).wpd". Can anyone suggest the
          > easiest way I could view the documents via iWork '08?

        • Cheryl Collins
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 19, 2008
            I tried NeoIffice to read WP12 files ‹ unfortunately, there were way too
            many formatting glitches.