Interesting discovery about printing from SheepShaver

  • justinmschwammjr
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2008
      Thought you all might be interested in this alternative
      method of printing, which is a bit more direct (at least
      for me) than the SheepShaver Print folder and its
      associated script. I'm running WP and SS (OS9.0) under OS X
      10.5.5 on a 2.1 Ghz Core Duo MacBook. Here at home, in my
      dual-platform household, we also have a desktop PC running
      Windows Vista, a Sony VAIO laptop running WIndows XP, and a
      rather elderly IBM ThinkPad, also running XP. There are two
      available printers: an HP OfficeJet 6310 multi function
      inkjet and a Brother HL-5170DNLT laser, both physically
      connected to the router. The MacBook and the other two
      laptops connect wirelessly (MacBook obviously via AirPort),
      and the desktop has a wired connection. This method works
      beautifully for the Brother, but not for the HP, presumably
      because the HP is not PostScript compatible.

      1. Before you start, make sure that you have AdobePS (which
      is included in John's SheepShaver distribution).
      2. See if you can find a PPD for your printer. In my case, there
      was actually a Classic PPD installer available for download
      from brother.com. Otherwise, you should be able to use the
      Generic PPD that is bundled with AdobePS.
      3. With SheepShaver NOT running, start SheepShaverPrefs,
      go to the Miscellaneous tab, and set the Ethernet interface to
      slirp. This causes SheepShaver to be able to share your OSX
      network connection.
      4. Quit SheepShaverPrefs and start SheepShaver.
      5. In SheepShaver, make the following settings in the TCP/IP
      control panel, which I discovered after a lot of internet searching
      for "sheepshaver print":
      a. Connect via: Ethernet
      b. Configure: Using DHCP server
      c. DHCP client ID: (leave blank)
      d. IP address: 10.0.2.15
      e. Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
      f. Router address: 10.0.2.3
      g. Name server addr: 10.0.2.3
      (For some reason the TCP/IP control panel didn't function for me
      in the OS that is bundled with John's SS distribution, but it worked
      just fine with OS9.)
      6. Close the control panel and start AdobePS. Make the following choices:
      a. With:AdobePS
      b. Create Desktop... Printer(LPR)
      (I could not get an AppleTalk printer to work.)
      c. Continue
      d. Choose the appropriate PPD file for your printer, or use Generic.
      e. Under LPR Printer selection, press Change.
      f. Printer address: your printer's IP address on your network
      g. Queue: binps (worked for me, anyway)
      7. Click Verify
      8. Click Create...
      9. Give the printer a name and click OK.
      Then, in WP, you can do page setup to select the printer as usual.
      HTH,
      Justin