Re: Help Sought: Old WordPerfect 1.0 files

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
      I've just posted WordPerfect 1.0.5, to the Temporary Items folder in
      the Files folder here. It runs under Classic, although the menus are a
      little flaky, and runs fine in SheepShaver.

      Assuming you have the passwords, this will open the files.

      John R.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sxmcpherson" <sxmcp@...> wrote:

      > I have a lot of old WordPerfect 1.0 files which are
      > password-protected, but I can't open them with any application in OS
      > X. I still have the original application file(s), but how do I access
      > the documents themselves?
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 23, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sxmcpherson" <sxmcp@...> wrote:

        > I have a lot of old WordPerfect 1.0 files which are
        > password-protected, but I can't open them with any application in OS
        > X. I still have the original application file(s), but how do I access
        > the documents themselves?

        The following answers are based on testing, not speculation.

        1. Download the Mac-native version of OpenOffice.org 3.0 from
        OpenOffice.org. This will open your password-protected WP 1.0
        files - without asking you to enter the password! Most formatting
        will be lost, but the text will be recovered correctly. (I have NOT
        tested other software that uses the same conversion software used
        in OpenOffice.org, but that software includes NeoOffice and
        AbiWord; OpenOffice.org has the newest version of the conversion
        software, so it is probably best to use it instead of the alternatives.)

        2. WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5e will also open WP 1.0 files without
        asking for the password. This can be run on an Intel Mac only by
        installing and using the SheepShaver software available from this
        group, but there is no simple step-by-step set of instructions, so
        beginners should not even attempt it. If you need to have the
        original formatting preserved, however, this is the only software
        that will let you keep the formatting in your WP 1.0 files.

        As reported elsewhere in this message thread, MacLink Plus will
        NOT open WP 1.0 files.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 24, 2008
          Well, I said "the following answers are based on testing", but I
          seem to have got everything wrong. When I tried again today,
          I found that neither WP 3.5 nor OpenOffice.org can open
          password-protected WP 1.0 files - at least not the files that
          I created today. In fact, OpenOffice.org seems to refuse to
          open 1.0 files at all. I thought I had checked and double-
          checked yesterday,but it's clear that I was mistaken.

          It now seems to me that 1.0-password protected files will
          only open in 1.0. But I hope I'm mistaken!

          Apologies to everyone if I misled anyone with the message
          below.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 24, 2008

            > Well, I said "the following answers are based on testing", but I
            > seem to have got everything wrong. When I tried again today,
            > I found that neither WP 3.5 nor OpenOffice.org can open
            > password-protected WP 1.0 files

            In my test, WP 3.5 "opened" a password-protected 1.0 file, but what
            opens is an apparently empty document.

            It's worth pointing out that what WP does is not simply password
            protection, but encyption.

            > > 2. WordPerfect for the Mac ... can be run on an Intel Mac only by
            > > installing and using the SheepShaver software available from this
            > > group, but there is no simple step-by-step set of instructions, so
            > > beginners should not even attempt it.

            What I tried to build was an installer that just needed double-clicking,
            plus an illustrated set of instructions showing how to set SheepShaver
            Prefs. I need to and will redo that to take screenshots of a larger prefs
            window that shows entire paths. I could also undoubtedly make the
            instructions clearer, and would welcome advice on that. I plan to
            release a new package soon, to include the updated SheepShaver
            program that now apparently runs without any problems at all.

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 25, 2008

              > I found that neither WP 3.5 nor OpenOffice.org can open
              > password-protected WP 1.0 files

              In my test, 3.5e "opened" a 1.0 password-protected file, but what opened
              was an empty document. BTW WP encrypts files, not just password-
              protects them. Some time ago I opened a password-protected file in
              a programmer's file editor, and found jibberish.

              > > installing and using the SheepShaver software available from this
              > > group, but there is no simple step-by-step set of instructions, so
              > > beginners should not even attempt it.

              I tried to build an installer for the SheepShaver package that requires
              only one double-click, plus step-by-step instructions to set the prefs.
              That could be and will be improved -- larger screenshots to show
              entire paths for one thing. All suggestions welcome.

              John R.
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 26, 2008

                > What I tried to build was an installer that just needed double-clicking,
                > plus an illustrated set of instructions showing how to set SheepShaver
                > Prefs. I need to and will redo that to take screenshots of a larger prefs
                > window that shows entire paths. I could also undoubtedly make the
                > instructions clearer, and would welcome advice on that. I plan to
                > release a new package soon, to include the updated SheepShaver
                > program that now apparently runs without any problems at all.

                Your instructions were perfectly clear to me and to quite a few other
                people, but there have been a few posts here (e.g. number 5433) that
                show that complete beginners seem to be lost. The only advice I
                could give is that you should assume that everything that you don't
                explicitly spell out in complete detail will be misinterpreted by
                someone. I've been refining the instructions at wpdos.org for years,
                and I still find places where someone manages to do exactly the wrong
                thing because I took things for granted.

                Question: I've wondered whether it might not be possible to write an
                installation AppleScript that would write out the prefs file, plugging
                in the current user name where needed. I never find the time to try
                writing it, though!