Re: Help Sought: Old WordPerfect 1.0 files

  • thomasbriant
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sxmcpherson" <sxmcp@...> wrote:

      > I have a lot of old WordPerfect 1.0 files which are
      > password-protected, but I can't open them with any application in OS
      > X. I still have the original application file(s), but how do I access
      > the documents themselves?
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

      1. This is a website in Canada that offers to convert WordPerfect 1.0 files:
      http://www.mailboxplus.bc.ca/fileconvert.htm

      2. Try NeoOffice. Go to www.neooffice.org and download it. It says it will open a WordPerfect for Mac 1.0 file.

      The program is donation ware. Give it a try.
    • Kipperman@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
        might also try MacLinkPlus
      • thomasbriant
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kipperman@... wrote:

          > might also try MacLinkPlus

          Yeah, MacLink Plus was my first thought, too. I have version 16 and it
          only works down to version 2.x of WordPerfect for Mac.

          The real problem here is the password protection on those old 1.0
          files. Even if Neooffice can read a WordPerfect 1.0 file, as I suggested
          in an earlier post, I don't know if it can open a password protected
          WordPerfect 1.0 file.

          As I don't have a WordPerfect 1.0 file, I don't know if WordPerfect
          3.5e would open it, either.

          To make a Super Wild Guess here, I would say that the original
          poster should look into Basilisk ][ or vMac, the 68000 emulators for
          OS X, as a possible solution. Set up a 68000 emulator and run
          WordPerfect 1.0 in that emulated environment.

          Whether the files could be viewed, then copied and pasted into an
          OS X word processor, I DO NOT KNOW.

          The original poster's next step should be to head for the LInks
          section of this group and check out the Basilisk links.

          Tom Briant
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2008
            I've just posted WordPerfect 1.0.5, to the Temporary Items folder in
            the Files folder here. It runs under Classic, although the menus are a
            little flaky, and runs fine in SheepShaver.

            Assuming you have the passwords, this will open the files.

            John R.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sxmcpherson" <sxmcp@...> wrote:

            > I have a lot of old WordPerfect 1.0 files which are
            > password-protected, but I can't open them with any application in OS
            > X. I still have the original application file(s), but how do I access
            > the documents themselves?
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 23, 2008
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sxmcpherson" <sxmcp@...> wrote:

              > I have a lot of old WordPerfect 1.0 files which are
              > password-protected, but I can't open them with any application in OS
              > X. I still have the original application file(s), but how do I access
              > the documents themselves?

              The following answers are based on testing, not speculation.

              1. Download the Mac-native version of OpenOffice.org 3.0 from
              OpenOffice.org. This will open your password-protected WP 1.0
              files - without asking you to enter the password! Most formatting
              will be lost, but the text will be recovered correctly. (I have NOT
              tested other software that uses the same conversion software used
              in OpenOffice.org, but that software includes NeoOffice and
              AbiWord; OpenOffice.org has the newest version of the conversion
              software, so it is probably best to use it instead of the alternatives.)

              2. WordPerfect for the Mac 3.5e will also open WP 1.0 files without
              asking for the password. This can be run on an Intel Mac only by
              installing and using the SheepShaver software available from this
              group, but there is no simple step-by-step set of instructions, so
              beginners should not even attempt it. If you need to have the
              original formatting preserved, however, this is the only software
              that will let you keep the formatting in your WP 1.0 files.

              As reported elsewhere in this message thread, MacLink Plus will
              NOT open WP 1.0 files.
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 24, 2008
                Well, I said "the following answers are based on testing", but I
                seem to have got everything wrong. When I tried again today,
                I found that neither WP 3.5 nor OpenOffice.org can open
                password-protected WP 1.0 files - at least not the files that
                I created today. In fact, OpenOffice.org seems to refuse to
                open 1.0 files at all. I thought I had checked and double-
                checked yesterday,but it's clear that I was mistaken.

                It now seems to me that 1.0-password protected files will
                only open in 1.0. But I hope I'm mistaken!

                Apologies to everyone if I misled anyone with the message
                below.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2008

                  > Well, I said "the following answers are based on testing", but I
                  > seem to have got everything wrong. When I tried again today,
                  > I found that neither WP 3.5 nor OpenOffice.org can open
                  > password-protected WP 1.0 files

                  In my test, WP 3.5 "opened" a password-protected 1.0 file, but what
                  opens is an apparently empty document.

                  It's worth pointing out that what WP does is not simply password
                  protection, but encyption.

                  > > 2. WordPerfect for the Mac ... can be run on an Intel Mac only by
                  > > installing and using the SheepShaver software available from this
                  > > group, but there is no simple step-by-step set of instructions, so
                  > > beginners should not even attempt it.

                  What I tried to build was an installer that just needed double-clicking,
                  plus an illustrated set of instructions showing how to set SheepShaver
                  Prefs. I need to and will redo that to take screenshots of a larger prefs
                  window that shows entire paths. I could also undoubtedly make the
                  instructions clearer, and would welcome advice on that. I plan to
                  release a new package soon, to include the updated SheepShaver
                  program that now apparently runs without any problems at all.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 25, 2008

                    > I found that neither WP 3.5 nor OpenOffice.org can open
                    > password-protected WP 1.0 files

                    In my test, 3.5e "opened" a 1.0 password-protected file, but what opened
                    was an empty document. BTW WP encrypts files, not just password-
                    protects them. Some time ago I opened a password-protected file in
                    a programmer's file editor, and found jibberish.

                    > > installing and using the SheepShaver software available from this
                    > > group, but there is no simple step-by-step set of instructions, so
                    > > beginners should not even attempt it.

                    I tried to build an installer for the SheepShaver package that requires
                    only one double-click, plus step-by-step instructions to set the prefs.
                    That could be and will be improved -- larger screenshots to show
                    entire paths for one thing. All suggestions welcome.

                    John R.
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 26, 2008

                      > What I tried to build was an installer that just needed double-clicking,
                      > plus an illustrated set of instructions showing how to set SheepShaver
                      > Prefs. I need to and will redo that to take screenshots of a larger prefs
                      > window that shows entire paths. I could also undoubtedly make the
                      > instructions clearer, and would welcome advice on that. I plan to
                      > release a new package soon, to include the updated SheepShaver
                      > program that now apparently runs without any problems at all.

                      Your instructions were perfectly clear to me and to quite a few other
                      people, but there have been a few posts here (e.g. number 5433) that
                      show that complete beginners seem to be lost. The only advice I
                      could give is that you should assume that everything that you don't
                      explicitly spell out in complete detail will be misinterpreted by
                      someone. I've been refining the instructions at wpdos.org for years,
                      and I still find places where someone manages to do exactly the wrong
                      thing because I took things for granted.

                      Question: I've wondered whether it might not be possible to write an
                      installation AppleScript that would write out the prefs file, plugging
                      in the current user name where needed. I never find the time to try
                      writing it, though!