Re: question re WPMac download -- and WP12 and OS X 10.4

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Collins" <cherylcollins2001@...>
      wrote:

      > I need some help with the WPMac 3.5e download.
      >
      > … I've tried trolling this site for
      > help but it seems to be geared toward very knowledgeable
      > Mac users and programmers.

      There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
      to help WP users at any level.

      > However, I must have screwed up somewhere, because I can't
      > get it to work.

      Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
      download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
      SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
      Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).

      Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
      SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
      there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
      8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
      up-to-date Conversions folder.

      Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from there.

      John R.
    • Cheryl Collins
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
        Assuming I get WP Mac up and functioning, how well will it work with
        documents created with WP12, and will it be able to export them well enough?

        Thanks again.

        On 10/4/08 4:56 PM, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cheryl Collins"
        > <cherylcollins2001@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> > I need some help with the WPMac 3.5e download.
        >> >
        >> > … I've tried trolling this site for
        >> > help but it seems to be geared toward very knowledgeable
        >> > Mac users and programmers.
        >
        > There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
        > to help WP users at any level.
        >
        >> > However, I must have screwed up somewhere, because I can't
        >> > get it to work.
        >
        > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
        > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
        > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
        > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
        >
        > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
        > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
        > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
        > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
        > up-to-date Conversions folder.
        >
        > Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from there.

      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
          I'm going to defer to John Rethorst for the definitive answer on
          this, but if I recall, the file format for WP12 is compatible with
          the "WordPerfect 6,7,8" that's built into the Mac version of
          WordPerfect. If that's the case, you should be able to import and
          export successfully. I know that some years ago I moved files back
          and forth between WPMac 3.5e and WP Windows 8 and it always worked
          very well.

          I believe that John has created a "droplet"--a little application on
          which you can drop batches of files to convert them for the Mac
          version. I'm sure he'll confirm the file compatibility question and
          tell you about the droplets--I haven't actually tried them myself.
          Rick Albright

          On Oct 5, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Cheryl Collins wrote:

          > Assuming I get WP Mac up and functioning, how well will it work with
          > documents created with WP12, and will it be able to export them
          > well enough?
          >
          > Thanks again.
          >
          > On 10/4/08 4:56 PM, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
          >

          > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cheryl Collins"
          > > <cherylcollins2001@...>

          > > There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
          > > to help WP users at any level.

          > > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
          > > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
          > > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
          > > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
          > >
          > > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
          > > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
          > > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
          > > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
          > > up-to-date Conversions folder.
          > >
          > > Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from
          > there.
          > >
          > > John R.

          “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
          --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
          from Pink Floyd, The Wall
          Rick Albright
          logres@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
            I'm no expert, although there are a couple on this list, but I think that
            you're right: WP Win 12 has the same file format as WP Win 8, and its
            files are easily openable by WP Mac.

            > I'm going to defer to John Rethorst for the definitive answer on
            > this, but if I recall, the file format for WP12 is compatible with
            > the "WordPerfect 6,7,8" that's built into the Mac version of
            > WordPerfect. If that's the case, you should be able to import and
            > export successfully. I know that some years ago I moved files back
            > and forth between WPMac 3.5e and WP Windows 8 and it always worked
            > very well.
            >
            > I believe that John has created a "droplet"--a little application on
            > which you can drop batches of files to convert them for the Mac
            > version. I'm sure he'll confirm the file compatibility question and
            > tell you about the droplets--I haven't actually tried them myself.
            > Rick Albright
            >
            > On Oct 5, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Cheryl Collins wrote:
            >
            > > Assuming I get WP Mac up and functioning, how well will it work with
            > > documents created with WP12, and will it be able to export them
            > > well enough?
            > >
            > > Thanks again.
            > >
            > > On 10/4/08 4:56 PM, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
            > > > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cheryl Collins"
            > > > <cherylcollins2001@>

            > > > There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
            > > > to help WP users at any level.

            > > > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
            > > > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
            > > > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
            > > > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
            > > >
            > > > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
            > > > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
            > > > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
            > > > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
            > > > up-to-date Conversions folder.
            > > >
            > > > Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from
            > > there.
            > > >
            > > > John R.

            ==
            > "No dark sarcasm in the classroom"
            > --Roger Waters, "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2"
            > from Pink Floyd, The Wall
            > Rick Albright
            > logres@...

          • Cheryl Collins
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
              John,

              I just stared to follow your instrcutions here. A quick question: as you
              note, I do not have Leopard or Intel yet you suggest that I ³archive that
              download for when you are, and then open the SheepShaver volume disk image.²
              I have no plans to upgrade in the near future. Are you saying this download
              only works with Intel or Leopard?

              Best,

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
                I posted a question about three weeks ago. I need some follow up help. I¹m
                in crisis mode because I¹m set to leave the country next week. Just to
                review:

                > I¹m an editor with a I have a PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11. It's three
                > years old now, but it was my first Mac, and thus I don't have a long history
                > with Mac and know nothing about the "classic" environment.
                >
                > I'm an editor with a client that uses WP 12 for Windows, which I run on a PC
                > at home. However, I will be traveling
                > and working for several months with my PowerBook, and hope to continue working
                > for this client while traveling.
                >
                > I tried the WPMac download to see if it read their WPD files. (Or I'll have to
                > take two laptops, once Mac and one Windows ... not really an option, and I
                > can't afford yet the new Intel-based Macs.) I followed the instructions on the
                > WPDOS site (http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html) -- I
                > downloaded and installed WP3.5e from the System 7 site, as well as the
                > updater.
                >
                > I then came to this site to download the conversions. But that didn¹t work.

                Many reached out to tell me to try AbiSource, NeoOffice, or MacLinkPlus.

                I tried all of them, and even bought MacLinkPlus. However, none worked well
                enough for my purposes. I¹m an editor, and I need to know how things looks
                exactly on the page. For viewing files, though, all of these programs worked
                well enough. But there were way too many formatting issues for me.

                So I¹m back to square one.

                John kindly gave me some instructions, but I¹m confused on one point. He
                said:

                > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
                > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
                > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
                >
                > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
                > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect Ÿ" from
                > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
                > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
                > up-to-date Conversions folder.

                Does this mean I CANNOT download the ³SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.1"
                because I don¹t have Leopard or Intel? Or am I reading this incorrectly?

                Someone suggested going after a CD of WP 3.5e. Suggestions?

                Thanks for helping me solve this ‹ I am beyond stressed!

                cheryl

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cheryl Collins"
                > <cherylcollins2001@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                >> > I need some help with the WPMac 3.5e download.
                >> >
                >> > … I've tried trolling this site for
                >> > help but it seems to be geared toward very knowledgeable
                >> > Mac users and programmers.
                >
                > There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
                > to help WP users at any level.
                >
                >> > However, I must have screwed up somewhere, because I can't
                >> > get it to work.
                >
                > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
                > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
                > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
                >
                > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
                > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
                > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
                > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
                > up-to-date Conversions folder.
                >
                > Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from there.

              • George B. Richardson
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
                  What John is saying is that you can, and should,
                  download the 243mb file from the Links section
                  here. It's called "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                  Install 1.1". [His parenthetical simply
                  acknowledged that he knew that you are not using
                  either Leopard or on an Intel machine. Therefore,
                  you do not have to run SheepShaver which emulates
                  the Classic mode on Macs that either are using
                  Leopard or are the Intel machines.]

                  Once you have downloaded "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                  Install 1.1", open the disk image by double
                  clicking on it. It's the file that ends with the
                  suffix ".dmg". Once you open the disk image, copy
                  the folder called "WordPerfect Ÿ" to your own
                  hard drive in the folder in which you have your
                  OS9 applications. Once there, use that version of
                  WordPerfect and you should be okay.

                  Over to you,
                  George Richardson

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
                    Griege,

                    Ach! Clarity! A million thanks! And thank you for not tsk-tsking over my
                    thickheadness.

                    One last small problem: Any idea where the ³SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install
                    1.1" file might be? The ³SheepShaver-Basilik folder² is either hiding in
                    plain sight or no longer on the site.

                    I¹m poking through the folders but no luck so far ...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
                      At the bottom of the email that arrives via the
                      WordPerfectmac email list, there are a bunch of
                      links to the Yahoo stuff that look like the set
                      of links below.

                      in this topic (2)
                      (via web post) |
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNXRrY2hzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMDcyMTczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzM4OQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyMjM2ODUwNzY->Start
                      a new topic
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZTV1NXIzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMDcyMTczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzM4OQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtc2dzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjM2ODUwNzY->Messages

                      settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
                      Change settings via email:
                      <mailto:wordperfectmac-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email
                      Delivery: Digest>Switch delivery to Daily Digest

                      <mailto:wordperfectmac-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change
                      Delivery Format: Traditional>Switch format to
                      Traditional
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc2tocmV1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMDcyMTczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzM4OQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIyMzY4NTA3Ng-->Visit
                      Your Group | <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                      Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use |
                      <mailto:wordperfectmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=>
                      Unsubscribe

                      One of the links says: "Visit Your Group". Double
                      click on that link. It should take you to the
                      "wordperfectmac@yahoogroups" site. Once there, on
                      the left side there is a box with several links,
                      starting at the top with "Home". In the list,
                      click on "Links". Once at the next page, you will
                      see the word "Links". Below that there are three
                      icons of folders. The third one down is
                      "SheepShaver and Basilisk". Click on that folder
                      and it will take you to a similar page headed
                      "Links > SheepShaver and Basilisk". Scroll down
                      to the bottom of the list and you will see
                      "SheepShaver-WordPerfet Install 1.1". Click on
                      that and it should start the download. You then
                      start where I started in my first response.

                      By the way, I don't believe in "tsk-tsking". It's
                      not thickheadedness. All of us have been where
                      you are and would have killed to have someone
                      walk them through step by step. It's my pleasure
                      to be helpful to you.

                      Indeed, one could build a FAQ answer from the
                      step-by-step that I put together, but that's for
                      the moderator, not me.

                      Over to you,
                      GeorgeR.