question re WPMac download -- and WP12 and OS X 10.4

  • Cheryl Collins
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
      Hello,

      I need some help with the WPMac 3.5e download.

      I have a PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11. It's three
      years old now, but it was my first Mac, and thus I don't
      have a long history with Mac and know nothing about the
      "classic" environment. I've tried trolling this site for
      help but it seems to be geared toward very knowledgeable
      Mac users and programmers.

      I'm an editor with a client that uses WP 12 for Windows,
      which I run on a PC at home. However, I will be traveling
      and working for several months with my PowerBook, though,
      and hope to continue working for this client while
      traveling. I thought I'd try the WPMac download to see if
      it read their WPD files. (Or I'll have to take two laptops,
      once Mac and one Windows ... not really an option, and I
      can't afford yet the new Intel-based Macs.)

      I followed the instructions on the WPDOS site
      (http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html) -- I
      downloaded and installed WP3.5e from the System 7 site, as
      well as the updater.

      I then came to this site to download the conversions.

      However, I must have screwed up somewhere, because I can't
      get it to work. When I try to open "Corel WordPerfect" from
      the Applications file, I get the "WordPerfect and Language
      Resource must be together in the same location" message. I
      can open the "WordPerfect 3.5 Enhanced" version, but I am
      unable to open files -- I only see folders.

      I've also tried opening WPD files with no luck -- "Corel
      WordPerfect" is not an option. When I try to open a WPD
      file, I tried a trick I read about here: highlight the
      file, hit command+I, and then tell it to open in WPD from
      the "other" list -- but "Corel WordPerfect" is not an
      option, and in "Corel WordPerfect Enhanced," WordPerfect is
      not highlighted as an option.

      Also, when I try to install the "outlining fix," I get the
      same error message, "WordPerfect and Language Resource must
      be together in the same location."

      Perhaps some of the confusion is that there is WP by itself
      in my App folder, and also the "Enhanced" version in my App
      folder, with WP in there too. I assume that I should use
      the WP in the "enhanced" version.

      Please help! I'd be happy to call someone if they could
      talk me through it. I know that's asking a lot.

      Also, does anyone know about the compatibility of this 3.5e
      version with later versions of WP, like WP12? Can I read
      WP12 files in this WPMac 3.5e version?

      If not, does anyone have a suggestion on how I can read
      WP12 files on my OS X 10.4.11?

    • Luiz
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
        On 04/10/2008, at 11:34, Cheryl Collins wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I need some help with the WPMac 3.5e download.
        >
        > I have a PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11.

        (text supressed)

        Boy! If you had that, go to after a CD with WP 3.5e. Mine came with my
        475 Performa and is working OK in 10.4.11 Classic!

        Salute!
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Collins" <cherylcollins2001@...>
          wrote:

          > I need some help with the WPMac 3.5e download.
          >
          > … I've tried trolling this site for
          > help but it seems to be geared toward very knowledgeable
          > Mac users and programmers.

          There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
          to help WP users at any level.

          > However, I must have screwed up somewhere, because I can't
          > get it to work.

          Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
          download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
          SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
          Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).

          Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
          SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
          there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
          8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
          up-to-date Conversions folder.

          Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from there.

          John R.
        • Cheryl Collins
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
            Assuming I get WP Mac up and functioning, how well will it work with
            documents created with WP12, and will it be able to export them well enough?

            Thanks again.

            On 10/4/08 4:56 PM, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cheryl Collins"
            > <cherylcollins2001@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            >> > I need some help with the WPMac 3.5e download.
            >> >
            >> > … I've tried trolling this site for
            >> > help but it seems to be geared toward very knowledgeable
            >> > Mac users and programmers.
            >
            > There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
            > to help WP users at any level.
            >
            >> > However, I must have screwed up somewhere, because I can't
            >> > get it to work.
            >
            > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
            > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
            > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
            > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
            >
            > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
            > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
            > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
            > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
            > up-to-date Conversions folder.
            >
            > Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from there.

          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
              I'm going to defer to John Rethorst for the definitive answer on
              this, but if I recall, the file format for WP12 is compatible with
              the "WordPerfect 6,7,8" that's built into the Mac version of
              WordPerfect. If that's the case, you should be able to import and
              export successfully. I know that some years ago I moved files back
              and forth between WPMac 3.5e and WP Windows 8 and it always worked
              very well.

              I believe that John has created a "droplet"--a little application on
              which you can drop batches of files to convert them for the Mac
              version. I'm sure he'll confirm the file compatibility question and
              tell you about the droplets--I haven't actually tried them myself.
              Rick Albright

              On Oct 5, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Cheryl Collins wrote:

              > Assuming I get WP Mac up and functioning, how well will it work with
              > documents created with WP12, and will it be able to export them
              > well enough?
              >
              > Thanks again.
              >
              > On 10/4/08 4:56 PM, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
              >

              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cheryl Collins"
              > > <cherylcollins2001@...>

              > > There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
              > > to help WP users at any level.

              > > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
              > > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
              > > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
              > > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
              > >
              > > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
              > > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
              > > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
              > > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
              > > up-to-date Conversions folder.
              > >
              > > Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from
              > there.
              > >
              > > John R.

              “No dark sarcasm in the classroom”
              --Roger Waters, “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2”
              from Pink Floyd, The Wall
              Rick Albright
              logres@...
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2008
                I'm no expert, although there are a couple on this list, but I think that
                you're right: WP Win 12 has the same file format as WP Win 8, and its
                files are easily openable by WP Mac.

                > I'm going to defer to John Rethorst for the definitive answer on
                > this, but if I recall, the file format for WP12 is compatible with
                > the "WordPerfect 6,7,8" that's built into the Mac version of
                > WordPerfect. If that's the case, you should be able to import and
                > export successfully. I know that some years ago I moved files back
                > and forth between WPMac 3.5e and WP Windows 8 and it always worked
                > very well.
                >
                > I believe that John has created a "droplet"--a little application on
                > which you can drop batches of files to convert them for the Mac
                > version. I'm sure he'll confirm the file compatibility question and
                > tell you about the droplets--I haven't actually tried them myself.
                > Rick Albright
                >
                > On Oct 5, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Cheryl Collins wrote:
                >
                > > Assuming I get WP Mac up and functioning, how well will it work with
                > > documents created with WP12, and will it be able to export them
                > > well enough?
                > >
                > > Thanks again.
                > >
                > > On 10/4/08 4:56 PM, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
                > > > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cheryl Collins"
                > > > <cherylcollins2001@>

                > > > There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
                > > > to help WP users at any level.

                > > > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
                > > > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
                > > > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                > > > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
                > > >
                > > > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
                > > > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
                > > > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
                > > > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
                > > > up-to-date Conversions folder.
                > > >
                > > > Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from
                > > there.
                > > >
                > > > John R.

                ==
                > "No dark sarcasm in the classroom"
                > --Roger Waters, "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2"
                > from Pink Floyd, The Wall
                > Rick Albright
                > logres@...

              • Cheryl Collins
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                  John,

                  I just stared to follow your instrcutions here. A quick question: as you
                  note, I do not have Leopard or Intel yet you suggest that I ³archive that
                  download for when you are, and then open the SheepShaver volume disk image.²
                  I have no plans to upgrade in the near future. Are you saying this download
                  only works with Intel or Leopard?

                  Best,

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
                    I posted a question about three weeks ago. I need some follow up help. I¹m
                    in crisis mode because I¹m set to leave the country next week. Just to
                    review:

                    > I¹m an editor with a I have a PowerBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11. It's three
                    > years old now, but it was my first Mac, and thus I don't have a long history
                    > with Mac and know nothing about the "classic" environment.
                    >
                    > I'm an editor with a client that uses WP 12 for Windows, which I run on a PC
                    > at home. However, I will be traveling
                    > and working for several months with my PowerBook, and hope to continue working
                    > for this client while traveling.
                    >
                    > I tried the WPMac download to see if it read their WPD files. (Or I'll have to
                    > take two laptops, once Mac and one Windows ... not really an option, and I
                    > can't afford yet the new Intel-based Macs.) I followed the instructions on the
                    > WPDOS site (http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html) -- I
                    > downloaded and installed WP3.5e from the System 7 site, as well as the
                    > updater.
                    >
                    > I then came to this site to download the conversions. But that didn¹t work.

                    Many reached out to tell me to try AbiSource, NeoOffice, or MacLinkPlus.

                    I tried all of them, and even bought MacLinkPlus. However, none worked well
                    enough for my purposes. I¹m an editor, and I need to know how things looks
                    exactly on the page. For viewing files, though, all of these programs worked
                    well enough. But there were way too many formatting issues for me.

                    So I¹m back to square one.

                    John kindly gave me some instructions, but I¹m confused on one point. He
                    said:

                    > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
                    > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
                    > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                    > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
                    >
                    > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
                    > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect Ÿ" from
                    > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
                    > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
                    > up-to-date Conversions folder.

                    Does this mean I CANNOT download the ³SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install 1.1"
                    because I don¹t have Leopard or Intel? Or am I reading this incorrectly?

                    Someone suggested going after a CD of WP 3.5e. Suggestions?

                    Thanks for helping me solve this ‹ I am beyond stressed!

                    cheryl

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com> , "Cheryl Collins"
                    > <cherylcollins2001@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    >> > I need some help with the WPMac 3.5e download.
                    >> >
                    >> > … I've tried trolling this site for
                    >> > help but it seems to be geared toward very knowledgeable
                    >> > Mac users and programmers.
                    >
                    > There's a range of expertise among the folks here, but we're happy
                    > to help WP users at any level.
                    >
                    >> > However, I must have screwed up somewhere, because I can't
                    >> > get it to work.
                    >
                    > Actually, these days the simplest way to get WP Mac going is to
                    > download the 243mb file from the Links section here, in the
                    > SheepShaver-Basilik folder. It's named "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                    > Install 1.1" (although I know you're not on Leopard or Intel).
                    >
                    > Archive that download for when you are, and then open the
                    > SheepShaver volume disk image. Copy the "WordPerfect ƒ" from
                    > there to your Applications-Classic folder. It already has the OS
                    > 8/9/Classic updater and the outlining fix done, and has an
                    > up-to-date Conversions folder.
                    >
                    > Let us know when that's up and running, and we'll take it from there.

                  • George B. Richardson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
                      What John is saying is that you can, and should,
                      download the 243mb file from the Links section
                      here. It's called "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                      Install 1.1". [His parenthetical simply
                      acknowledged that he knew that you are not using
                      either Leopard or on an Intel machine. Therefore,
                      you do not have to run SheepShaver which emulates
                      the Classic mode on Macs that either are using
                      Leopard or are the Intel machines.]

                      Once you have downloaded "SheepShaver-WordPerfect
                      Install 1.1", open the disk image by double
                      clicking on it. It's the file that ends with the
                      suffix ".dmg". Once you open the disk image, copy
                      the folder called "WordPerfect Ÿ" to your own
                      hard drive in the folder in which you have your
                      OS9 applications. Once there, use that version of
                      WordPerfect and you should be okay.

                      Over to you,
                      George Richardson

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
                        Griege,

                        Ach! Clarity! A million thanks! And thank you for not tsk-tsking over my
                        thickheadness.

                        One last small problem: Any idea where the ³SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install
                        1.1" file might be? The ³SheepShaver-Basilik folder² is either hiding in
                        plain sight or no longer on the site.

                        I¹m poking through the folders but no luck so far ...

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 25, 2008
                          At the bottom of the email that arrives via the
                          WordPerfectmac email list, there are a bunch of
                          links to the Yahoo stuff that look like the set
                          of links below.

                          in this topic (2)
                          (via web post) |
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNXRrY2hzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMDcyMTczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzM4OQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyMjM2ODUwNzY->Start
                          a new topic
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZTV1NXIzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMDcyMTczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzM4OQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNtc2dzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjM2ODUwNzY->Messages

                          settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
                          Change settings via email:
                          <mailto:wordperfectmac-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email
                          Delivery: Digest>Switch delivery to Daily Digest

                          <mailto:wordperfectmac-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change
                          Delivery Format: Traditional>Switch format to
                          Traditional
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc2tocmV1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzMDcyMTczBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAwNzM4OQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNocGYEc3RpbWUDMTIyMzY4NTA3Ng-->Visit
                          Your Group | <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
                          Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use |
                          <mailto:wordperfectmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=>
                          Unsubscribe

                          One of the links says: "Visit Your Group". Double
                          click on that link. It should take you to the
                          "wordperfectmac@yahoogroups" site. Once there, on
                          the left side there is a box with several links,
                          starting at the top with "Home". In the list,
                          click on "Links". Once at the next page, you will
                          see the word "Links". Below that there are three
                          icons of folders. The third one down is
                          "SheepShaver and Basilisk". Click on that folder
                          and it will take you to a similar page headed
                          "Links > SheepShaver and Basilisk". Scroll down
                          to the bottom of the list and you will see
                          "SheepShaver-WordPerfet Install 1.1". Click on
                          that and it should start the download. You then
                          start where I started in my first response.

                          By the way, I don't believe in "tsk-tsking". It's
                          not thickheadedness. All of us have been where
                          you are and would have killed to have someone
                          walk them through step by step. It's my pleasure
                          to be helpful to you.

                          Indeed, one could build a FAQ answer from the
                          step-by-step that I put together, but that's for
                          the moderator, not me.

                          Over to you,
                          GeorgeR.