Re: [ANN] John’s WP Citations 2.5

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008

      > I just know that one of the most time-consuming issues is
      > dealing with citations that don't fall neatly into one of
      > the typical categories, or that involve multiple
      > categories at once--for example an article in an anthology
      > that is multivolume and has both a translator and an
      > editor and may be a reprint. Or a citation from a
      > classical Greek or Latin source where a paragraph number
      > from a standard edition is usually cited. From some of my
      > colleagues on some academic listservs, none of the
      > automated products such as Endnote or ProCite will handle
      > some of these crazy combinations.

      When I first built Citations, I had FileMaker's field calculations
      and WP macros do most of the work. I now see that I should
      have put much more of the code in Applescript. The next
      rewrite of Citations will have that, with a comprehensive dialog
      that will let you set _any_ reference format easily.

      I'm glad to hear these evaluations of Endnote and ProCite, since
      it's always nice to have Citations a couple of steps ahead. More
      info from the listserves welcome.

      > Do you know offhand if it can handle repeat citations?
      > Under Chicago style, second and subsequent citations from
      > a source get an abbreviated citation format.

      It handles repeat citations (and footnotes and endnotes) just
      fine.

      > My final question: I assume this only works under the Mac
      > WP, correct? I know some of the aforementioned listserv
      > members use WordPerfect (Windows, I think), and have
      > expressed concern about some of the other citation tools
      > that only work with Word. But I think I recall hearing
      > that the macro languages are not the same in Mac and
      > Windows versions of WP.

      Citations is Mac-only. The macro languages for WP Mac and
      WP Win differ, and Applescript is also Mac-only.