Open apps in SS

  • petetheisen
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2008
      I've searched the database, and I know I'm missing something. So I
      apologize for asking a question I should be able to find the answer to
      without help. But here goes. How do I open a classic app in
      SheepShaver? I have installed SS on an Intel Mac, and I'm not sure
      where the folder is that I would store the app in. I have looked in
      the documents folder in my user directory, but the only related folder
      there is the SS Printing folder. If I drag something from the Mac
      desktop to the SS desktop, nothing happens. I am also wondering if I
      am missing a SS help document that has more to do with SS use than
      with installation. Thanks for any help you can provide, and thanks
      John for the tremendous amount of effort you have put into this.
      Pete (new user of SS, long time WP user)
    • thomasbriant
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "petetheisen" <ptheisen@...> wrote:

        > I've searched the database, and I know I'm missing something. So I
        > apologize for asking a question I should be able to find the answer to
        > without help. But here goes. How do I open a classic app in
        > SheepShaver? I have installed SS on an Intel Mac, and I'm not sure
        > where the folder is that I would store the app in. I have looked in
        > the documents folder in my user directory, but the only related folder
        > there is the SS Printing folder. If I drag something from the Mac
        > desktop to the SS desktop, nothing happens. I am also wondering if I
        > am missing a SS help document that has more to do with SS use than
        > with installation. Thanks for any help you can provide, and thanks
        > John for the tremendous amount of effort you have put into this.
        > Pete (new user of SS, long time WP user)

        to install a classic application in Sheepshaver, first QUIT
        sheepshaver. You want to open up the disk image (DMG) that
        serves as Sheepshaver's disk drive.

        From OS X double-click on the Sheepshaver DMG file. It
        opens up just like a regular DMG file. Drag and copy the
        application or its installer into this DMG. You probably
        want the Desktop folder.

        Once you have copied the applications/installers, eject the
        Sheepshaver DMG file. You can't have the DMG open as a
        DMG file AND access it from sheepshaver.

        Now start up Sheepshaver. You will see the file(s) you
        copied from OSX into the DMG on your Desktop if you copied them into the Desktop folder.

        Install and be happy.

        Tom Briant
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 13, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "petetheisen" <ptheisen@...> wrote:

          > I've searched the database, and I know I'm missing something. So I
          > apologize for asking a question I should be able to find the answer to
          > without help. But here goes. How do I open a classic app in
          > SheepShaver?

          You can't find the answer because (I think) no one has spelled it out.

          Here goes, in excruciatingly detailed steps that you probably don't
          need to read, but which may help someone else.

          1. When you installed SheepShaver you ran the SheepshaverPrefs program
          and specified a folder on your OS X disk for the "Unix Root". If you don't
          remember what that folder is, run SheepshaverPrefs again and look at
          it on the first tab.

          2. Open that folder in OS X. Drag your classic application into it.

          3. Run Sheepshaver. Double-click the icon on the upper right of the
          Sheepshaver desktop that represents your Sheepshaver disk; a
          window will open displaying the contents of the disk. Using the
          topline menu or Cmd-N, create a new folder for your application,
          and name it with the name of your application. Open the new
          folder by double-clicking on its icon, and leave it open.

          4. Now double-click on the "Unix" icon near the upper right of your
          SheepShaver desktop. You should see the application that you
          dragged into the "Unix Root" folder in step 2.

          5. Drag the application from the Unix folder to the new folder
          that you created for the application in step 3. (You may now
          close the Unix folder.)

          6. Run or install your application. If it doesn't work, I can't help
          you, but perhaps someone who knows more about the application
          will be able to help.

          Perhaps this message can be the basis of one of a series of
          how-to guides that might be helpful to visitors to this group.
        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 13, 2008

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "petetheisen" <ptheisen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've searched the database, and I know I'm missing something. So I
            > > apologize for asking a question I should be able to find the answer to
            > > without help. But here goes. How do I open a classic app in
            > > SheepShaver?
            >
            > You can't find the answer because (I think) no one has spelled it out.
            >
            > Here goes, in excruciatingly detailed steps that you probably don't
            > need to read, but which may help someone else.

            I don't know how many others have tried this, but I've
            found that I don't need to move the applications out of
            the Unix folder (volume) into the Sheepshaver volume --
            they seem to run just fine left in the Unix folder. Now
            I admit since I can still run classic I haven't done
            much more than experiment with Sheepshaver for the
            inevitable future when I'll have to give up classic, so
            I don't know under what circumstances that works or
            doesn't or what aspects of normal usage might get broken.
            (I'm not sure if linking between file types/creators and
            apps works completely right, for instance.)

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 15, 2008

              > I don't know how many others have tried this, but I've
              > found that I don't need to move the applications out of
              > the Unix folder (volume) into the Sheepshaver volume --
              > they seem to run just fine left in the Unix folder.

              In my very limited experience, I've found that some programs
              work perfectly when left in the Unix folder and some seem
              to need to be moved to the SS disk. You were lucky with the
              one you tried; I wasn't with at least one that I tried.
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 18, 2008

                > [Helpful instructions for installing an application on a SheepShaver disk]

                > Perhaps this message can be the basis of one of a series of
                > how-to guides that might be helpful to visitors to this group.

                It would be a good start. What format should these guides take? Would
                anyone else like to contribute to them?