Re: Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions

  • marine.policy
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann"
      <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

      > The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
      > a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
      > files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
      > WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
      > required, execute the command
      >
      > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
      >
      > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
      "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

      I have AbiWord installed on my Mac (OS X 10.5) and use it to open my
      old WP files. I have installed the WordPerfect Importer but is does
      not scan my WP files that have "non-WPD" extensions. Is there some
      way to "expand" the importer's operation to allow searches of these files?

      Thanks for everybody's input on this. It is very much appreciated.
      Chip Bissell
      Ventura, CA
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 18, 2008
        Hi Gero!

        Good to hear from you. Sorry for this late reply but I was away for a
        couple of weeks.

        The Open WP Files applet now in beta is a nice adjunct for your
        Spotlight indexing plug-in. Spotlight can index and search anything in
        the SS Unix folder, and the applet will open the file on the SS side.

        I'm updating other stuff for SS. I just about have finished a new version
        of Citations, a bibliography/footnote/reference manager that I think is the
        equal to Endnote, integrates seamlessly with WordPerfect and, in this
        new version, includes a runtime database - the Filemaker program is no
        longer needed! Also makes it run easily in SS.

        I have not been able to get your DocCompare to work, probably because
        I'm illiterate in PERL. This is the most advanced document tracking utility
        available, which makes a difference in serious, e.g. academic or legal,
        word processing. I'd be grateful for any advice you (or anyone) has.

        John R.