Word -> WP conversion problems

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2008
      I have a bunch of Word documents of uncertain vintage (all .doc, from a
      Windows platform) that I'd like to process with WP (to use reveal codes
      so I can edit some formatting.) I tried reading them with NeoOffice
      and saving in rtf format, but that doesn't work -- WP only seems to see
      the first couple of lines. (The whole document's fine in NeoOffice.)
      Any quick bright ideas? Worse comes to worse I can simply cut from
      NeoOffice and paste into WP (losing all the formatting) and reformat,
      but I'd rather not. I admit I do not know if I have the latest set of
      conversion filters -- if that's likely to make a difference I'll check.

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
    • Kipperman@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2008
        try maclink plus
      • tbgibson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2008
          I open all my Word documents by dragging the file onto the Text Edit
          icon. This opens the file in Text Edit while keeping the formatting.
          When I copy and paste the document's contents from Text Edit into
          WordPerfect, the formatting remains.

          Good Luck!
          Tina Gibson
          Fairfax, Va

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com> , "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a bunch of Word documents of uncertain vintage (all .doc, from
          > Windows platform) that I'd like to process with WP (to use reveal
          codes
          > so I can edit some formatting.) I tried reading them with NeoOffice
          > and saving in rtf format, but that doesn't work -- WP only seems to
          see
          > the first couple of lines. (The whole document's fine in NeoOffice.)
          > Any quick bright ideas? Worse comes to worse I can simply cut from
          > NeoOffice and paste into WP (losing all the formatting) and reformat,
          > but I'd rather not. I admit I do not know if I have the latest set of
          > conversion filters -- if that's likely to make a difference I'll
          check.

          > Ted Lee
          > Minnetonka, MN

        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "tbgibson" <tbgibson@...>
            wrote:

            > I open all my Word documents by dragging the file onto the Text Edit
            > icon. This opens the file in Text Edit while keeping the formatting.
            > When I copy and paste the document's contents from Text Edit into
            > WordPerfect, the formatting remains.

            That doesn't seem to work for me on these documents -- even if I open
            them with something else (Appleworks 6 or NeoOffice, say). On the
            other hand, out of desparation I tried the Word -> WP droplet that's
            in the conversion file section here, picking Appleworks 6 as the
            translator and it seemed to work fine. (That droplet uses one of
            three programs to read the Word file, save it as rtf, and then open
            it in WP.) I don't know why using NeoOffice to generate the rtf
            version doesn't work but Appleworks does. Now, cut-and-paste from
            Appleworks into Wordperfect doesn't work (for me) any better than
            from TextEdit or NeoOffice (a lot of formatting gets lost); my guess,
            which I'm not going to attempt to verify, is that it may have
            something to do with fonts which for whatever reason are handled more
            forgivingly by using rtf as the intermediary than the clipboard. I
            don't know why I can't get wordperfect itself to use one of its
            conversion filters (I did install the "latest" set) and open the
            files directly, but since I found something that works I'm not going
            to investigate that further either.

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN