Re: Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

      > I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
      > plugins are able to function independently of whether an
      > application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
      > and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

      Ignore my previous message. The problem that Geoff and I
      reported was apparently the result of our trying to open
      all WPMac documents with John's script application. I used
      Onxy to clear out the LaunchServices list, restarted, and
      now the Spotlight filter works entirely correctly.

      I should have thought of this earlier. Anyone who tried to
      link WPMac files to an Applescript application or bundle
      should perform the same procedure.
    • marine.policy
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 8, 2008
        <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

        > The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
        > a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
        > files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
        > WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
        > required, execute the command
        >
        > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
        >
        > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
        "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

        I have AbiWord installed on my Mac (OS X 10.5) and use it to open my
        old WP files. I have installed the WordPerfect Importer but is does
        not scan my WP files that have "non-WPD" extensions. Is there some
        way to "expand" the importer's operation to allow searches of these files?

        Thanks for everybody's input on this. It is very much appreciated.
        Chip Bissell
        Ventura, CA
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 18, 2008
          Hi Gero!

          Good to hear from you. Sorry for this late reply but I was away for a
          couple of weeks.

          The Open WP Files applet now in beta is a nice adjunct for your
          Spotlight indexing plug-in. Spotlight can index and search anything in
          the SS Unix folder, and the applet will open the file on the SS side.

          I'm updating other stuff for SS. I just about have finished a new version
          of Citations, a bibliography/footnote/reference manager that I think is the
          equal to Endnote, integrates seamlessly with WordPerfect and, in this
          new version, includes a runtime database - the Filemaker program is no
          longer needed! Also makes it run easily in SS.

          I have not been able to get your DocCompare to work, probably because
          I'm illiterate in PERL. This is the most advanced document tracking utility
          available, which makes a difference in serious, e.g. academic or legal,
          word processing. I'd be grateful for any advice you (or anyone) has.

          John R.