Re: Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7 7:27 PM
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

      > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
      >
      > Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open
      WordPerfect files?

      The result of that command is:

      kMDItemContentType = "dyn.ah62d4rv4gk8zsycegu";

      This is the same for all WP files that I have on the disk.

      And Nisus Writer is not installed on the machine.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7 7:40 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

        > I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
        > plugins are able to function independently of whether an
        > application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
        > and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

        Ignore my previous message. The problem that Geoff and I
        reported was apparently the result of our trying to open
        all WPMac documents with John's script application. I used
        Onxy to clear out the LaunchServices list, restarted, and
        now the Spotlight filter works entirely correctly.

        I should have thought of this earlier. Anyone who tried to
        link WPMac files to an Applescript application or bundle
        should perform the same procedure.
      • marine.policy
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 8 10:16 AM
          <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

          > The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
          > a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
          > files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
          > WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
          > required, execute the command
          >
          > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
          >
          > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
          "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

          I have AbiWord installed on my Mac (OS X 10.5) and use it to open my
          old WP files. I have installed the WordPerfect Importer but is does
          not scan my WP files that have "non-WPD" extensions. Is there some
          way to "expand" the importer's operation to allow searches of these files?

          Thanks for everybody's input on this. It is very much appreciated.
          Chip Bissell
          Ventura, CA
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 18 6:37 PM
            Hi Gero!

            Good to hear from you. Sorry for this late reply but I was away for a
            couple of weeks.

            The Open WP Files applet now in beta is a nice adjunct for your
            Spotlight indexing plug-in. Spotlight can index and search anything in
            the SS Unix folder, and the applet will open the file on the SS side.

            I'm updating other stuff for SS. I just about have finished a new version
            of Citations, a bibliography/footnote/reference manager that I think is the
            equal to Endnote, integrates seamlessly with WordPerfect and, in this
            new version, includes a runtime database - the Filemaker program is no
            longer needed! Also makes it run easily in SS.

            I have not been able to get your DocCompare to work, probably because
            I'm illiterate in PERL. This is the most advanced document tracking utility
            available, which makes a difference in serious, e.g. academic or legal,
            word processing. I'd be grateful for any advice you (or anyone) has.

            John R.