Re: Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions

  • gero_herrmann
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008

      > Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files
      > are no longer associated with a program that does not work under
      > Leopard which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see
      > them as files to index???

      I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
      plugins are able to function independently of whether an
      application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
      and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

      The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
      a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
      files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
      WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
      required, execute the command

      mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document

      and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

      Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open WordPerfect files?

      Gero Herrmann
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
        Gero

        Good catch - NeoOffice has been assigned by the OS to open WP files
        in OS X and I can't get Get Info to reassign to WP because WP cannot
        run under Leopard.

        Thanks

        >> Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files
        >> are no longer associated with a program that does not work under
        >> Leopard which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see
        >> them as files to index???
        >
        >I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
        >plugins are able to function independently of whether an
        >application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
        >and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.
        >
        >The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
        >a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
        >files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
        >WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
        >required, execute the command
        >
        > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
        >
        >and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
        >"com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
        >
        >Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another
        >application configured to open WordPerfect files?
        >
        >Gero Herrmann

      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

          > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
          >
          > Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open
          WordPerfect files?

          The result of that command is:

          kMDItemContentType = "dyn.ah62d4rv4gk8zsycegu";

          This is the same for all WP files that I have on the disk.

          And Nisus Writer is not installed on the machine.
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

            > I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
            > plugins are able to function independently of whether an
            > application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
            > and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

            Ignore my previous message. The problem that Geoff and I
            reported was apparently the result of our trying to open
            all WPMac documents with John's script application. I used
            Onxy to clear out the LaunchServices list, restarted, and
            now the Spotlight filter works entirely correctly.

            I should have thought of this earlier. Anyone who tried to
            link WPMac files to an Applescript application or bundle
            should perform the same procedure.
          • marine.policy
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 8, 2008
              <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

              > The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
              > a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
              > files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
              > WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
              > required, execute the command
              >
              > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
              >
              > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
              "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

              I have AbiWord installed on my Mac (OS X 10.5) and use it to open my
              old WP files. I have installed the WordPerfect Importer but is does
              not scan my WP files that have "non-WPD" extensions. Is there some
              way to "expand" the importer's operation to allow searches of these files?

              Thanks for everybody's input on this. It is very much appreciated.
              Chip Bissell
              Ventura, CA
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 18, 2008
                Hi Gero!

                Good to hear from you. Sorry for this late reply but I was away for a
                couple of weeks.

                The Open WP Files applet now in beta is a nice adjunct for your
                Spotlight indexing plug-in. Spotlight can index and search anything in
                the SS Unix folder, and the applet will open the file on the SS side.

                I'm updating other stuff for SS. I just about have finished a new version
                of Citations, a bibliography/footnote/reference manager that I think is the
                equal to Endnote, integrates seamlessly with WordPerfect and, in this
                new version, includes a runtime database - the Filemaker program is no
                longer needed! Also makes it run easily in SS.

                I have not been able to get your DocCompare to work, probably because
                I'm illiterate in PERL. This is the most advanced document tracking utility
                available, which makes a difference in serious, e.g. academic or legal,
                word processing. I'd be grateful for any advice you (or anyone) has.

                John R.