WP-Mac, Spotlight and 10.5 (was Re: [wpmac] Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions)

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6 1:38 PM
      On Fri Sep 5, 2008 8:12 pm ((PDT)), "Geoff Gilbert" <Geoff@...> wrote:

      >Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files are
      >no longer associated with a program that does not work under Leopard
      >which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see them as files
      >to index???

      Spotlight only cares about what's defined in the mdimporter, not an
      application (though many applications bundle their mdimoprters
      internally, so they're always present and never out-of-date).

      I did a very quick check on my 10.5 Mac and indeed, none of the file
      contents of my WP-Mac files seemed to indexed. However, running
      /usr/bin/mdimport -d3 /path/to/wp-mac/document
      caused the file to be indexed, so the importer still works; it's just
      not being triggered. Given that the files and the importer were
      already on the disk when I installed 10.5, which completely reindexes
      the disk after install, and the importer clearly works, it is odd
      that the initial 10.5 indexing didn't pick up the files.

      If I recall correctly, though, Spotlight (re)indexing of a document
      is usually triggered by saving the document. However, in the
      SheepShaver world, if all the saving of documents is happening on a
      disk image that's not mounted in the OS, that indexing will never be
      triggered. To be honest, I don't know if saving a file to a disk
      image that is mounted will trigger indexing, since disk images are
      "removable media."

      I suppose looking into this is just one more reason I need to get
      with the program and download SS+WP-Mac on my 10.5 Mac...

      Smokey