Re: Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008

      > More on this question: I was surprised to find that the
      > WP Spotlight plugin doesn't seem to work at all under
      > OS X 10.5 on Intel. I copied some WPMac files from
      > SheepShaver to the destkop, made sure the WP Spotlight
      > plugin was installed, and rebuilt the index. Spotlight
      > found the filenames, but not the content. Does the
      > Spotlight WP plugin work for anyone else?

      I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:

      do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"

      Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
      ~/Library/Spotlight

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

        > I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:
        >
        > do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"
        >
        > Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
        > ~/Library/Spotlight

        I made that command in the terminal (twice), and the
        plugin is in the right place. Only the titles of WP
        files are indexed, not the contents.
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
          Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files are
          no longer associated with a program that does not work under Leopard
          which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see them as files
          to index???

          Geoff

          >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:
          >>
          >> do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"
          >>
          >> Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
          >> ~/Library/Spotlight
          >>

          >I made that command in the terminal (twice), and the
          >plugin is in the right place. Only the titles of WP
          >files are indexed, not the contents.

        • gero_herrmann
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008

            > Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files
            > are no longer associated with a program that does not work under
            > Leopard which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see
            > them as files to index???

            I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
            plugins are able to function independently of whether an
            application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
            and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

            The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
            a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
            files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
            WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
            required, execute the command

            mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document

            and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

            Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open WordPerfect files?

            Gero Herrmann
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
              Gero

              Good catch - NeoOffice has been assigned by the OS to open WP files
              in OS X and I can't get Get Info to reassign to WP because WP cannot
              run under Leopard.

              Thanks

              >> Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files
              >> are no longer associated with a program that does not work under
              >> Leopard which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see
              >> them as files to index???
              >
              >I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
              >plugins are able to function independently of whether an
              >application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
              >and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.
              >
              >The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
              >a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
              >files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
              >WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
              >required, execute the command
              >
              > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
              >
              >and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
              >"com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
              >
              >Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another
              >application configured to open WordPerfect files?
              >
              >Gero Herrmann

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
                >
                > Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open
                WordPerfect files?

                The result of that command is:

                kMDItemContentType = "dyn.ah62d4rv4gk8zsycegu";

                This is the same for all WP files that I have on the disk.

                And Nisus Writer is not installed on the machine.
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                  > I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
                  > plugins are able to function independently of whether an
                  > application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
                  > and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

                  Ignore my previous message. The problem that Geoff and I
                  reported was apparently the result of our trying to open
                  all WPMac documents with John's script application. I used
                  Onxy to clear out the LaunchServices list, restarted, and
                  now the Spotlight filter works entirely correctly.

                  I should have thought of this earlier. Anyone who tried to
                  link WPMac files to an Applescript application or bundle
                  should perform the same procedure.
                • marine.policy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 8, 2008
                    <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                    > The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
                    > a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
                    > files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
                    > WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
                    > required, execute the command
                    >
                    > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
                    >
                    > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
                    "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

                    I have AbiWord installed on my Mac (OS X 10.5) and use it to open my
                    old WP files. I have installed the WordPerfect Importer but is does
                    not scan my WP files that have "non-WPD" extensions. Is there some
                    way to "expand" the importer's operation to allow searches of these files?

                    Thanks for everybody's input on this. It is very much appreciated.
                    Chip Bissell
                    Ventura, CA
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 18, 2008
                      Hi Gero!

                      Good to hear from you. Sorry for this late reply but I was away for a
                      couple of weeks.

                      The Open WP Files applet now in beta is a nice adjunct for your
                      Spotlight indexing plug-in. Spotlight can index and search anything in
                      the SS Unix folder, and the applet will open the file on the SS side.

                      I'm updating other stuff for SS. I just about have finished a new version
                      of Citations, a bibliography/footnote/reference manager that I think is the
                      equal to Endnote, integrates seamlessly with WordPerfect and, in this
                      new version, includes a runtime database - the Filemaker program is no
                      longer needed! Also makes it run easily in SS.

                      I have not been able to get your DocCompare to work, probably because
                      I'm illiterate in PERL. This is the most advanced document tracking utility
                      available, which makes a difference in serious, e.g. academic or legal,
                      word processing. I'd be grateful for any advice you (or anyone) has.

                      John R.