Re: Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2008

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, marine.policy <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is there any way to easily modify Spotlight's search engine to include
      > > files with nonconformist extensions?

      More on this question: I was surprised to find that the
      WP Spotlight plugin doesn't seem to work at all under
      OS X 10.5 on Intel. I copied some WPMac files from
      SheepShaver to the destkop, made sure the WP Spotlight
      plugin was installed, and rebuilt the index. Spotlight
      found the filenames, but not the content. Does the
      Spotlight WP plugin work for anyone else?
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008

        > More on this question: I was surprised to find that the
        > WP Spotlight plugin doesn't seem to work at all under
        > OS X 10.5 on Intel. I copied some WPMac files from
        > SheepShaver to the destkop, made sure the WP Spotlight
        > plugin was installed, and rebuilt the index. Spotlight
        > found the filenames, but not the content. Does the
        > Spotlight WP plugin work for anyone else?

        I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:

        do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"

        Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
        ~/Library/Spotlight

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

          > I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:
          >
          > do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"
          >
          > Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
          > ~/Library/Spotlight

          I made that command in the terminal (twice), and the
          plugin is in the right place. Only the titles of WP
          files are indexed, not the contents.
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
            Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files are
            no longer associated with a program that does not work under Leopard
            which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see them as files
            to index???

            Geoff

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
            >

            >> I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:
            >>
            >> do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"
            >>
            >> Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
            >> ~/Library/Spotlight
            >>

            >I made that command in the terminal (twice), and the
            >plugin is in the right place. Only the titles of WP
            >files are indexed, not the contents.

          • gero_herrmann
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008

              > Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files
              > are no longer associated with a program that does not work under
              > Leopard which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see
              > them as files to index???

              I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
              plugins are able to function independently of whether an
              application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
              and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

              The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
              a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
              files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
              WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
              required, execute the command

              mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document

              and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

              Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open WordPerfect files?

              Gero Herrmann
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                Gero

                Good catch - NeoOffice has been assigned by the OS to open WP files
                in OS X and I can't get Get Info to reassign to WP because WP cannot
                run under Leopard.

                Thanks

                >> Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files
                >> are no longer associated with a program that does not work under
                >> Leopard which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see
                >> them as files to index???
                >
                >I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
                >plugins are able to function independently of whether an
                >application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
                >and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.
                >
                >The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
                >a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
                >files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
                >WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
                >required, execute the command
                >
                > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
                >
                >and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
                >"com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
                >
                >Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another
                >application configured to open WordPerfect files?
                >
                >Gero Herrmann

              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                  > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
                  >
                  > Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open
                  WordPerfect files?

                  The result of that command is:

                  kMDItemContentType = "dyn.ah62d4rv4gk8zsycegu";

                  This is the same for all WP files that I have on the disk.

                  And Nisus Writer is not installed on the machine.
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                    > I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
                    > plugins are able to function independently of whether an
                    > application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
                    > and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

                    Ignore my previous message. The problem that Geoff and I
                    reported was apparently the result of our trying to open
                    all WPMac documents with John's script application. I used
                    Onxy to clear out the LaunchServices list, restarted, and
                    now the Spotlight filter works entirely correctly.

                    I should have thought of this earlier. Anyone who tried to
                    link WPMac files to an Applescript application or bundle
                    should perform the same procedure.
                  • marine.policy
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 8, 2008
                      <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                      > The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
                      > a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
                      > files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
                      > WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
                      > required, execute the command
                      >
                      > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
                      >
                      > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
                      "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

                      I have AbiWord installed on my Mac (OS X 10.5) and use it to open my
                      old WP files. I have installed the WordPerfect Importer but is does
                      not scan my WP files that have "non-WPD" extensions. Is there some
                      way to "expand" the importer's operation to allow searches of these files?

                      Thanks for everybody's input on this. It is very much appreciated.
                      Chip Bissell
                      Ventura, CA
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 18, 2008
                        Hi Gero!

                        Good to hear from you. Sorry for this late reply but I was away for a
                        couple of weeks.

                        The Open WP Files applet now in beta is a nice adjunct for your
                        Spotlight indexing plug-in. Spotlight can index and search anything in
                        the SS Unix folder, and the applet will open the file on the SS side.

                        I'm updating other stuff for SS. I just about have finished a new version
                        of Citations, a bibliography/footnote/reference manager that I think is the
                        equal to Endnote, integrates seamlessly with WordPerfect and, in this
                        new version, includes a runtime database - the Filemaker program is no
                        longer needed! Also makes it run easily in SS.

                        I have not been able to get your DocCompare to work, probably because
                        I'm illiterate in PERL. This is the most advanced document tracking utility
                        available, which makes a difference in serious, e.g. academic or legal,
                        word processing. I'd be grateful for any advice you (or anyone) has.

                        John R.