Spotlight for non-".wpd" extensions

  • marine.policy
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008
      Some of you probably remember a time when users would name files with
      extensions of their own choosing. Since then, file extensions have
      become a means by which an application is selected to open the file.

      I have considerable archives of files with a wide variety of
      extensions other than .doc or .wpd. I would like to be able to see
      these files show up in Spotlight searches. So far, Spotlight seems to
      ignore these older "creatively named" WordPerfect files.

      Is there any way to easily modify Spotlight's search engine to include
      files with nonconformist extensions?

      Thanks,
      Chip
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2008
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, marine.policy <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Is there any way to easily modify Spotlight's search engine to include
        > files with nonconformist extensions?

        I assume that you've already installed this extension to Spotlight that indexes WPMac files:

        http://homepage.mac.com/herr/

        Unfortunately, this allows Spotlight only to index files created by WordPerfect for the Mac,
        not the WPDOS/WPWIN files that you seem to be referring to. The only way you can get
        Spotlight to index those is to convert them all into WPMac files. Perhaps this is not really
        practical, but there seems to be no way around the problem.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2008

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, marine.policy <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there any way to easily modify Spotlight's search engine to include
          > > files with nonconformist extensions?

          More on this question: I was surprised to find that the
          WP Spotlight plugin doesn't seem to work at all under
          OS X 10.5 on Intel. I copied some WPMac files from
          SheepShaver to the destkop, made sure the WP Spotlight
          plugin was installed, and rebuilt the index. Spotlight
          found the filenames, but not the content. Does the
          Spotlight WP plugin work for anyone else?
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008

            > More on this question: I was surprised to find that the
            > WP Spotlight plugin doesn't seem to work at all under
            > OS X 10.5 on Intel. I copied some WPMac files from
            > SheepShaver to the destkop, made sure the WP Spotlight
            > plugin was installed, and rebuilt the index. Spotlight
            > found the filenames, but not the content. Does the
            > Spotlight WP plugin work for anyone else?

            I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:

            do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"

            Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
            ~/Library/Spotlight

            John R.
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

              > I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:
              >
              > do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"
              >
              > Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
              > ~/Library/Spotlight

              I made that command in the terminal (twice), and the
              plugin is in the right place. Only the titles of WP
              files are indexed, not the contents.
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008
                Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files are
                no longer associated with a program that does not work under Leopard
                which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see them as files
                to index???

                Geoff

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@...> wrote:
                >

                >> I'm not on Leopard yet. Try this Applescript:
                >>
                >> do shell script "mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/WordPerfect.mdimporter"
                >>
                >> Note that the plugin should be in /Library/Spotlight, not
                >> ~/Library/Spotlight
                >>

                >I made that command in the terminal (twice), and the
                >plugin is in the right place. Only the titles of WP
                >files are indexed, not the contents.

              • gero_herrmann
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008

                  > Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files
                  > are no longer associated with a program that does not work under
                  > Leopard which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see
                  > them as files to index???

                  I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
                  plugins are able to function independently of whether an
                  application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
                  and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

                  The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
                  a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
                  files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
                  WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
                  required, execute the command

                  mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document

                  and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

                  Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open WordPerfect files?

                  Gero Herrmann
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                    Gero

                    Good catch - NeoOffice has been assigned by the OS to open WP files
                    in OS X and I can't get Get Info to reassign to WP because WP cannot
                    run under Leopard.

                    Thanks

                    >> Same problem. It may be that with the death of Classic, WP files
                    >> are no longer associated with a program that does not work under
                    >> Leopard which means that the WP Spotlight plugin does not see
                    >> them as files to index???
                    >
                    >I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
                    >plugins are able to function independently of whether an
                    >application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
                    >and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.
                    >
                    >The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
                    >a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
                    >files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
                    >WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
                    >required, execute the command
                    >
                    > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
                    >
                    >and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
                    >"com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
                    >
                    >Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another
                    >application configured to open WordPerfect files?
                    >
                    >Gero Herrmann

                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                      > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?
                      >
                      > Is Nisus Writer Pro installed on your machine, or another application configured to open
                      WordPerfect files?

                      The result of that command is:

                      kMDItemContentType = "dyn.ah62d4rv4gk8zsycegu";

                      This is the same for all WP files that I have on the disk.

                      And Nisus Writer is not installed on the machine.
                    • Edward Mendelson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "gero_herrmann" <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                        > I have not tested on Leopard so far, but in principle Spotlight
                        > plugins are able to function independently of whether an
                        > application that owns the file types to be indexed is installed,
                        > and consequently of whether Classic is installed or not.

                        Ignore my previous message. The problem that Geoff and I
                        reported was apparently the result of our trying to open
                        all WPMac documents with John's script application. I used
                        Onxy to clear out the LaunchServices list, restarted, and
                        now the Spotlight filter works entirely correctly.

                        I should have thought of this earlier. Anyone who tried to
                        link WPMac files to an Applescript application or bundle
                        should perform the same procedure.
                      • marine.policy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 8, 2008
                          <gero_herrmann@...> wrote:

                          > The WP Spotlight plugin contains an "Exported Type Declaration" for
                          > a Uniform Type Identifier (UTI) for WordPerfect Mac
                          > files, "com.corel.wordperfect.doc". To see whether a
                          > WordPerfect file has become assocciated with this UTI as
                          > required, execute the command
                          >
                          > mdimport -nd2 /path/to/document
                          >
                          > and look for "kMDItemContentType". Does it show the value
                          "com.corel.wordperfect.doc"?

                          I have AbiWord installed on my Mac (OS X 10.5) and use it to open my
                          old WP files. I have installed the WordPerfect Importer but is does
                          not scan my WP files that have "non-WPD" extensions. Is there some
                          way to "expand" the importer's operation to allow searches of these files?

                          Thanks for everybody's input on this. It is very much appreciated.
                          Chip Bissell
                          Ventura, CA
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 18, 2008
                            Hi Gero!

                            Good to hear from you. Sorry for this late reply but I was away for a
                            couple of weeks.

                            The Open WP Files applet now in beta is a nice adjunct for your
                            Spotlight indexing plug-in. Spotlight can index and search anything in
                            the SS Unix folder, and the applet will open the file on the SS side.

                            I'm updating other stuff for SS. I just about have finished a new version
                            of Citations, a bibliography/footnote/reference manager that I think is the
                            equal to Endnote, integrates seamlessly with WordPerfect and, in this
                            new version, includes a runtime database - the Filemaker program is no
                            longer needed! Also makes it run easily in SS.

                            I have not been able to get your DocCompare to work, probably because
                            I'm illiterate in PERL. This is the most advanced document tracking utility
                            available, which makes a difference in serious, e.g. academic or legal,
                            word processing. I'd be grateful for any advice you (or anyone) has.

                            John R.