Re: [ANN] Public beta - Open WP files in SS from OSX.zip

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
      The window for the SS_Data_Transfer folder, which the scripts create
      in the Unix folder, apparently needs to be closed for the SS OS to see
      the file dropped in it. There's no need to open that window anyway.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
        > > The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to > >add a colon before "transferData" twice; this was required to
        > >avoid the file
        > >open error.
        >
        > The OSX script looks for, literally:
        >
        > (path to desktop as string) & "transferData"
        >
        > This will include a colon (the path delimiter) at the end of path to desktop.
        > I don't understand why this would not work for you.

        I don't understand it either, but it's definitely the case. Colon absolutely required.

        > You may need to rebuild your desktop (use the "Desktop Reset" applet
        > in the Utilities folder on the SS volume), since I have the Finder > locate WordPerfect -- you should never have to navigate to it.

        Have rebuilt the desktop three times; still exactly the same result - I get the exclamation point icon in the topline menu, and have to tell the Finder where to find WordPerfect. But I did manage to solve the problem. In the Script Editor in SheepShaver, edit the
        ~OpenWPFiles script, go the fourth line of actual code and put parentheses around

        (application file id "WPC2" as string)

        Problem solved.

        The script now works here - but of course it won't be practical until all WP files can be set to open with the same script application in OS X. I've done some Googling on this question, but haven't found an answer. It seems to be a very common problem.
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 3, 2008
          John

          I've now had a chance to road test the scripts. My experience seems
          to be similar to Edward's. First, while I can get a particular WP
          document to change to Open With the OSX script, changing all such
          documents through the Get Info dialog, has no effect. Once allocated
          to the OSX script, that works and does open sheepshaver, but I then
          get the flashing exclamation mark in the menu bar asking me to find
          wordperfect on the sheepshaver volume. Unfortunately, I have no
          understanding of script applications, so I can offer no assistance in
          overcoming these hiccups.

          Geoff
        • jeraldbricker
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
            I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems. Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible, I do have one item I'd like help with.
            I would like to change the icon on all my WP documents to
            show as such on the UNIX side so I know what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new Open WP files
            script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
            files of the same type under OS X?

            JB

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 21, 2008

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
              > > > The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to
              > > > add a colon before "transferData" twice; this was required to
              > > > avoid the file open error.
              > >
              > > The OSX script looks for, literally:
              > >
              > > (path to desktop as string) & "transferData"
              > >
              > > This will include a colon (the path delimiter) at the end of path to desktop.
              > > I don't understand why this would not work for you.
              >
              > I don't understand it either, but it's definitely the case. Colon absolutely required.

              Could you open Script Editor on your machine and run this one line:

              path to desktop as string

              Does the Result end with a colon? If not, what is the result?

              Thanks,
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 21, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

                > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                > files of the same type under OS X?

                This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                be hard to do. Give me a week or two.

                John R.
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008

                  > Could you open Script Editor on your machine and run this one line:
                  >
                  > path to desktop as string
                  >
                  > Does the Result end with a colon? If not, what is the result?

                  The result is:

                  "Macintosh HD:Users:edward:Desktop:"

                  Ends with a colon. I know: the problem doesn't make sense. But it exists.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008
                    I've posted an update to these two scripts (actually, only the applet for
                    the SS volume has changed).

                    > I've now had a chance to road test the scripts. My experience seems
                    > to be similar to Edward's. First, while I can get a particular WP
                    > document to change to Open With the OSX script, changing all such
                    > documents through the Get Info dialog, has no effect. Once allocated
                    > to the OSX script, that works and does open sheepshaver,

                    I was able to change all documents by logging in with an admin
                    account, using Onyx to update the Launch Services database (which I
                    think I had to do only because I copied the startup disk from a PPC
                    machine that had WP in Classic, to an Intel machine). I then logged
                    back in to my user account and everything was fixed.

                    Had to do it twice, though. OS 10.4.11.

                    > but I then
                    > get the flashing exclamation mark in the menu bar asking me to find
                    > wordperfect on the sheepshaver volume.

                    This is fixed. When you first run the ~Open WP Files applet on the SS
                    volume, it may ask you to find WP. It will only do this once.

                    It's best to double-click this applet after putting it in the SS system
                    folder Startup Items folder. It will keep running and start up with SS
                    in subsequent sessions.

                    Update is in Files > Temporary Items.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008
                      John

                      Thanks. I'm always logged in as Admin (10.5.5). I'll test run the new
                      applets in the next few days.

                      Geoff

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 5, 2008

                        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                        > > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                        > > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                        > > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                        > > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                        > > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                        > > files of the same type under OS X?
                        >
                        > This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                        > be hard to do. Give me a week or two.

                        This is now done. Download "Open WP files in OSX 0.3.zip" from the
                        Temporary Items folder in the Files folder here.

                        Let me know if anyone is still having problems with these.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 5, 2008
                          First, trash version 0.2 of this applet and empty the trash. Also, if
                          the WordPerfect application is on a mounted OSX volume, trash
                          that too. Then unzip 0.3. You may have to log out and back in
                          to see the WP document icons.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 20, 2008
                            The icons aren't appearing yet since the method I used was how
                            Classic apps did it. OSX apps like this one, duh, do it differently.
                            So give me another week or so. The upside is that we can use a
                            completely new, high-definition icon for WP documents in the OSX
                            Finder. Anyone have an idea for a new icon?

                            John R.

                            > > > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                            > > > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                            > > > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                            > > > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                            > > > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                            > > > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                            > > > files of the same type under OS X?
                            > >
                            > > This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                            > > be hard to do. Give me a week or two.
                            >
                            > This is now done. Download "Open WP files in OSX 0.3.zip" from the
                            > Temporary Items folder in the Files folder here.
                            >
                            > Let me know if anyone is still having problems with these.
                            >
                            > John R.

                          • Edward Mendelson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 21, 2008

                              > So give me another week or so. The upside is that we can use a
                              > completely new, high-definition icon for WP documents in the OSX
                              > Finder. Anyone have an idea for a new icon?

                              Feel free to modify these, perhaps by adding an image of a document:

                              http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#newicons