Re: [ANN] Public beta - Open WP files in SS from OSX.zip

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

      > Yes, the file I'm trying to open is in the SS Unix folder (which is
      > /myname/Documents/ClassicDocuments). The error message I get is "Can't get file
      > 'Macintosh HD:Users:edward:DesktoptransferData' of application 'Finder'"

      Making some progress. By editing the script and adding a colon before "transferData" I was
      able to get to the point where SheepShaver opened. Then nothing happened. When I
      shutdown the Mac OS in SheepShaver, then the script in the startup folder finally prompted
      me where to find WordPerfect, and I navigated to WordPerfect, and told the script where to
      find it - and the file finally opened in WP. But I have to go through this procedure every time
      I double-click on the file.

      Now I have to get back to work. Hope all this is some help.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

        > I tried again setting the app's creator to "WPC2", and then reset the OSX
        > Launch Services Database using the Onyx utility (recommended for OSX,
        > free, link in the Links section here).
        >
        > Updated applescripts in the Files > Temporary Items folder here.
        >
        > They now work flawlessly, opening any WP file or files in your Documents
        > folder (or whatever you've set as the SS Unix folder).

        OK - found a minute to try the new versions after using Onyx to update the Launch
        Services Database.

        Results:

        The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to add a colon before
        "transferData" twice; this was required to avoid the file open error.

        When SheepShaver opened, the script placed an exclamation mark icon in the upper right
        of the menu bar; when I click on it, it prompts me to tell it where to find
        "SheepShaver:WordPerfect"; I navigate to the WordPerfect application and click Open, and
        then WP opens two windows - one blank, one with the file that I want to edit. I haven't
        tried to fix this second problem. Happens every time.
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008

          > The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to add
          > a colon before "transferData" twice; this was required to avoid the file
          > open error.

          The OSX script looks for, literally:

          (path to desktop as string) & "transferData"

          This will include a colon (the path delimiter) at the end of path to desktop.
          I don't understand why this would not work for you.

          Since I ended up not using a folder action script, I could create the text
          file (which has the path of the requested file relative to the Unix folder
          assignment) directly in that transfer folder. That wouldn't make any
          difference here, though.

          > When SheepShaver opened, the script placed an exclamation mark icon
          > in the upper right of the menu bar; when I click on it, it prompts me to
          > tell it where to find "SheepShaver:WordPerfect"; I navigate to the WordPerfect
          > application and click Open, and then WP opens two windows - one blank,
          > one with the file that I want to edit. I haven't tried to fix this second
          > problem. Happens every time.

          You may need to rebuild your desktop (use the "Desktop Reset" applet
          in the Utilities folder on the SS volume), since I have the Finder locate
          WordPerfect -- you should never have to navigate to it.

          If WP is not already running when it gets the file to open, it launches
          and thereby opens a blank window, before opening the requested file.
          This does not happen if WP is already running.

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
            The window for the SS_Data_Transfer folder, which the scripts create
            in the Unix folder, apparently needs to be closed for the SS OS to see
            the file dropped in it. There's no need to open that window anyway.

            John R.
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
              > > The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to > >add a colon before "transferData" twice; this was required to
              > >avoid the file
              > >open error.
              >
              > The OSX script looks for, literally:
              >
              > (path to desktop as string) & "transferData"
              >
              > This will include a colon (the path delimiter) at the end of path to desktop.
              > I don't understand why this would not work for you.

              I don't understand it either, but it's definitely the case. Colon absolutely required.

              > You may need to rebuild your desktop (use the "Desktop Reset" applet
              > in the Utilities folder on the SS volume), since I have the Finder > locate WordPerfect -- you should never have to navigate to it.

              Have rebuilt the desktop three times; still exactly the same result - I get the exclamation point icon in the topline menu, and have to tell the Finder where to find WordPerfect. But I did manage to solve the problem. In the Script Editor in SheepShaver, edit the
              ~OpenWPFiles script, go the fourth line of actual code and put parentheses around

              (application file id "WPC2" as string)

              Problem solved.

              The script now works here - but of course it won't be practical until all WP files can be set to open with the same script application in OS X. I've done some Googling on this question, but haven't found an answer. It seems to be a very common problem.
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 3, 2008
                John

                I've now had a chance to road test the scripts. My experience seems
                to be similar to Edward's. First, while I can get a particular WP
                document to change to Open With the OSX script, changing all such
                documents through the Get Info dialog, has no effect. Once allocated
                to the OSX script, that works and does open sheepshaver, but I then
                get the flashing exclamation mark in the menu bar asking me to find
                wordperfect on the sheepshaver volume. Unfortunately, I have no
                understanding of script applications, so I can offer no assistance in
                overcoming these hiccups.

                Geoff
              • jeraldbricker
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
                  I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems. Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible, I do have one item I'd like help with.
                  I would like to change the icon on all my WP documents to
                  show as such on the UNIX side so I know what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new Open WP files
                  script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                  files of the same type under OS X?

                  JB

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 21, 2008

                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
                    > > > The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to
                    > > > add a colon before "transferData" twice; this was required to
                    > > > avoid the file open error.
                    > >
                    > > The OSX script looks for, literally:
                    > >
                    > > (path to desktop as string) & "transferData"
                    > >
                    > > This will include a colon (the path delimiter) at the end of path to desktop.
                    > > I don't understand why this would not work for you.
                    >
                    > I don't understand it either, but it's definitely the case. Colon absolutely required.

                    Could you open Script Editor on your machine and run this one line:

                    path to desktop as string

                    Does the Result end with a colon? If not, what is the result?

                    Thanks,
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 21, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

                      > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                      > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                      > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                      > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                      > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                      > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                      > files of the same type under OS X?

                      This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                      be hard to do. Give me a week or two.

                      John R.
                    • Edward Mendelson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008

                        > Could you open Script Editor on your machine and run this one line:
                        >
                        > path to desktop as string
                        >
                        > Does the Result end with a colon? If not, what is the result?

                        The result is:

                        "Macintosh HD:Users:edward:Desktop:"

                        Ends with a colon. I know: the problem doesn't make sense. But it exists.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008
                          I've posted an update to these two scripts (actually, only the applet for
                          the SS volume has changed).

                          > I've now had a chance to road test the scripts. My experience seems
                          > to be similar to Edward's. First, while I can get a particular WP
                          > document to change to Open With the OSX script, changing all such
                          > documents through the Get Info dialog, has no effect. Once allocated
                          > to the OSX script, that works and does open sheepshaver,

                          I was able to change all documents by logging in with an admin
                          account, using Onyx to update the Launch Services database (which I
                          think I had to do only because I copied the startup disk from a PPC
                          machine that had WP in Classic, to an Intel machine). I then logged
                          back in to my user account and everything was fixed.

                          Had to do it twice, though. OS 10.4.11.

                          > but I then
                          > get the flashing exclamation mark in the menu bar asking me to find
                          > wordperfect on the sheepshaver volume.

                          This is fixed. When you first run the ~Open WP Files applet on the SS
                          volume, it may ask you to find WP. It will only do this once.

                          It's best to double-click this applet after putting it in the SS system
                          folder Startup Items folder. It will keep running and start up with SS
                          in subsequent sessions.

                          Update is in Files > Temporary Items.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008
                            John

                            Thanks. I'm always logged in as Admin (10.5.5). I'll test run the new
                            applets in the next few days.

                            Geoff

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 5, 2008

                              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                              > > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                              > > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                              > > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                              > > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                              > > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                              > > files of the same type under OS X?
                              >
                              > This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                              > be hard to do. Give me a week or two.

                              This is now done. Download "Open WP files in OSX 0.3.zip" from the
                              Temporary Items folder in the Files folder here.

                              Let me know if anyone is still having problems with these.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 5, 2008
                                First, trash version 0.2 of this applet and empty the trash. Also, if
                                the WordPerfect application is on a mounted OSX volume, trash
                                that too. Then unzip 0.3. You may have to log out and back in
                                to see the WP document icons.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 20, 2008
                                  The icons aren't appearing yet since the method I used was how
                                  Classic apps did it. OSX apps like this one, duh, do it differently.
                                  So give me another week or so. The upside is that we can use a
                                  completely new, high-definition icon for WP documents in the OSX
                                  Finder. Anyone have an idea for a new icon?

                                  John R.

                                  > > > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                                  > > > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                                  > > > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                                  > > > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                                  > > > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                                  > > > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                                  > > > files of the same type under OS X?
                                  > >
                                  > > This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                                  > > be hard to do. Give me a week or two.
                                  >
                                  > This is now done. Download "Open WP files in OSX 0.3.zip" from the
                                  > Temporary Items folder in the Files folder here.
                                  >
                                  > Let me know if anyone is still having problems with these.
                                  >
                                  > John R.

                                • Edward Mendelson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 21, 2008

                                    > So give me another week or so. The upside is that we can use a
                                    > completely new, high-definition icon for WP documents in the OSX
                                    > Finder. Anyone have an idea for a new icon?

                                    Feel free to modify these, perhaps by adding an image of a document:

                                    http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#newicons