[ANN] Public beta - Open WP files in SS from OSX.zip

    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 30, 2008
      This is a set of two Applescripts and a readme in WP format, that lets
      you double-click on a file in OSX (or e.g. find the file with Spotlight),
      and it will open in WordPerfect in SheepShaver.

      It works, and is a lot of fun, but there are a couple of points in the
      readme that I'd like to ask the experts here to look at.

      In Files > Temporary Items here.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008
        I don't pretend to know anything about Applescript, but I would guess
        that the script-saved-as-application would need a unique Creator code
        if you want it to open all WP files. All Applescripts by default get exactly
        the same Creator code, which is probably why OS X can't use that code
        to open all of any application types.

        Presumably there are tools that could easily change the Creator code
        for the application; I don't know whether the Creator code would survive
        after the application is opened and saved in the Script Editor, however.

        If this is right (and it could be completely wrong), you should probably
        register the Creator Code here before using it:

        http://developer.apple.com/datatype/

        If I'm wrong about this, feel free to delete this message to avoid
        misleading others.

        By the way, I simply can't get the script to work. No matter how closely
        I follow the instructions, when I double-click a WP file in the Finder, I
        get an error message saying that the script can't find the file "Macintosh HD:Users:edward:DesktopTransferData". SheepShaver doesn't open. I
        won't be able to look at this again for a while, so I hope this helps a bit
        in the meantime.

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

          > I don't pretend to know anything about Applescript, but I would guess
          > that the script-saved-as-application would need a unique Creator code
          > if you want it to open all WP files. All Applescripts by default get exactly
          > the same Creator code, which is probably why OS X can't use that code
          > to open all of any application types.

          I changed the creator code for the application to "WPC2", i.e. WP's creator,
          since I don't have WP in this OSX/Intel environment. It had no effect.

          > By the way, I simply can't get the script to work. No matter how closely
          > I follow the instructions, when I double-click a WP file in the Finder, I
          > get an error message saying that the script can't find the file "Macintosh
          > HD:Users:edward:DesktopTransferData". SheepShaver doesn't open. I
          > won't be able to look at this again for a while, so I hope this helps a bit
          > in the meantime.

          Have you set your SS Unix folder to your OSX desktop? This setup will only
          open files that are in the SS Unix folder or a subset thereof, since that's all
          that SS can see. Experimenting with aliases to other places, e.g. the
          desktop, is the next step.

          John R.
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

            > Have you set your SS Unix folder to your OSX desktop? This setup will only
            > open files that are in the SS Unix folder or a subset thereof, since that's all
            > that SS can see. Experimenting with aliases to other places, e.g. the
            > desktop, is the next step.

            Yes, the file I'm trying to open is in the SS Unix folder (which is
            /myname/Documents/ClassicDocuments). The error message I get is "Can't get file
            'Macintosh HD:Users:edward:DesktoptransferData' of application 'Finder'"
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008
              I tried again setting the app's creator to "WPC2", and then reset the OSX
              Launch Services Database using the Onyx utility (recommended for OSX,
              free, link in the Links section here).

              Updated applescripts in the Files > Temporary Items folder here.

              They now work flawlessly, opening any WP file or files in your Documents
              folder (or whatever you've set as the SS Unix folder).

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
                >
                > > Have you set your SS Unix folder to your OSX desktop? This setup will only
                > > open files that are in the SS Unix folder or a subset thereof, since that's all
                > > that SS can see. Experimenting with aliases to other places, e.g. the
                > > desktop, is the next step.
                > >

                > Yes, the file I'm trying to open is in the SS Unix folder (which is
                > /myname/Documents/ClassicDocuments). The error message I get is "Can't get file
                > 'Macintosh HD:Users:edward:DesktoptransferData' of application 'Finder'"

                OK - I see what's wrong here. A file called "transferData" gets written to my Desktop, and the
                script SHOULD be looking for ..."Desktop:transferData", not "DesktoptransferData". I've run
                the script many times to tell it where the Unix folder is (NOT the Desktop), but that doesn't
                seem to have fixed this at all.
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

                  > Yes, the file I'm trying to open is in the SS Unix folder (which is
                  > /myname/Documents/ClassicDocuments). The error message I get is "Can't get file
                  > 'Macintosh HD:Users:edward:DesktoptransferData' of application 'Finder'"

                  Making some progress. By editing the script and adding a colon before "transferData" I was
                  able to get to the point where SheepShaver opened. Then nothing happened. When I
                  shutdown the Mac OS in SheepShaver, then the script in the startup folder finally prompted
                  me where to find WordPerfect, and I navigated to WordPerfect, and told the script where to
                  find it - and the file finally opened in WP. But I have to go through this procedure every time
                  I double-click on the file.

                  Now I have to get back to work. Hope all this is some help.
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

                    > I tried again setting the app's creator to "WPC2", and then reset the OSX
                    > Launch Services Database using the Onyx utility (recommended for OSX,
                    > free, link in the Links section here).
                    >
                    > Updated applescripts in the Files > Temporary Items folder here.
                    >
                    > They now work flawlessly, opening any WP file or files in your Documents
                    > folder (or whatever you've set as the SS Unix folder).

                    OK - found a minute to try the new versions after using Onyx to update the Launch
                    Services Database.

                    Results:

                    The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to add a colon before
                    "transferData" twice; this was required to avoid the file open error.

                    When SheepShaver opened, the script placed an exclamation mark icon in the upper right
                    of the menu bar; when I click on it, it prompts me to tell it where to find
                    "SheepShaver:WordPerfect"; I navigate to the WordPerfect application and click Open, and
                    then WP opens two windows - one blank, one with the file that I want to edit. I haven't
                    tried to fix this second problem. Happens every time.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008

                      > The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to add
                      > a colon before "transferData" twice; this was required to avoid the file
                      > open error.

                      The OSX script looks for, literally:

                      (path to desktop as string) & "transferData"

                      This will include a colon (the path delimiter) at the end of path to desktop.
                      I don't understand why this would not work for you.

                      Since I ended up not using a folder action script, I could create the text
                      file (which has the path of the requested file relative to the Unix folder
                      assignment) directly in that transfer folder. That wouldn't make any
                      difference here, though.

                      > When SheepShaver opened, the script placed an exclamation mark icon
                      > in the upper right of the menu bar; when I click on it, it prompts me to
                      > tell it where to find "SheepShaver:WordPerfect"; I navigate to the WordPerfect
                      > application and click Open, and then WP opens two windows - one blank,
                      > one with the file that I want to edit. I haven't tried to fix this second
                      > problem. Happens every time.

                      You may need to rebuild your desktop (use the "Desktop Reset" applet
                      in the Utilities folder on the SS volume), since I have the Finder locate
                      WordPerfect -- you should never have to navigate to it.

                      If WP is not already running when it gets the file to open, it launches
                      and thereby opens a blank window, before opening the requested file.
                      This does not happen if WP is already running.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                        The window for the SS_Data_Transfer folder, which the scripts create
                        in the Unix folder, apparently needs to be closed for the SS OS to see
                        the file dropped in it. There's no need to open that window anyway.

                        John R.
                      • Edward Mendelson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                          > > The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to > >add a colon before "transferData" twice; this was required to
                          > >avoid the file
                          > >open error.
                          >
                          > The OSX script looks for, literally:
                          >
                          > (path to desktop as string) & "transferData"
                          >
                          > This will include a colon (the path delimiter) at the end of path to desktop.
                          > I don't understand why this would not work for you.

                          I don't understand it either, but it's definitely the case. Colon absolutely required.

                          > You may need to rebuild your desktop (use the "Desktop Reset" applet
                          > in the Utilities folder on the SS volume), since I have the Finder > locate WordPerfect -- you should never have to navigate to it.

                          Have rebuilt the desktop three times; still exactly the same result - I get the exclamation point icon in the topline menu, and have to tell the Finder where to find WordPerfect. But I did manage to solve the problem. In the Script Editor in SheepShaver, edit the
                          ~OpenWPFiles script, go the fourth line of actual code and put parentheses around

                          (application file id "WPC2" as string)

                          Problem solved.

                          The script now works here - but of course it won't be practical until all WP files can be set to open with the same script application in OS X. I've done some Googling on this question, but haven't found an answer. It seems to be a very common problem.
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 3, 2008
                            John

                            I've now had a chance to road test the scripts. My experience seems
                            to be similar to Edward's. First, while I can get a particular WP
                            document to change to Open With the OSX script, changing all such
                            documents through the Get Info dialog, has no effect. Once allocated
                            to the OSX script, that works and does open sheepshaver, but I then
                            get the flashing exclamation mark in the menu bar asking me to find
                            wordperfect on the sheepshaver volume. Unfortunately, I have no
                            understanding of script applications, so I can offer no assistance in
                            overcoming these hiccups.

                            Geoff
                          • jeraldbricker
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 16, 2008
                              I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems. Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible, I do have one item I'd like help with.
                              I would like to change the icon on all my WP documents to
                              show as such on the UNIX side so I know what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new Open WP files
                              script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                              files of the same type under OS X?

                              JB

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 21, 2008

                                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@> wrote:
                                > > > The OS X script still gave an error message until I edited it to
                                > > > add a colon before "transferData" twice; this was required to
                                > > > avoid the file open error.
                                > >
                                > > The OSX script looks for, literally:
                                > >
                                > > (path to desktop as string) & "transferData"
                                > >
                                > > This will include a colon (the path delimiter) at the end of path to desktop.
                                > > I don't understand why this would not work for you.
                                >
                                > I don't understand it either, but it's definitely the case. Colon absolutely required.

                                Could you open Script Editor on your machine and run this one line:

                                path to desktop as string

                                Does the Result end with a colon? If not, what is the result?

                                Thanks,
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 21, 2008
                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

                                  > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                                  > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                                  > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                                  > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                                  > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                                  > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                                  > files of the same type under OS X?

                                  This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                                  be hard to do. Give me a week or two.

                                  John R.
                                • Edward Mendelson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008

                                    > Could you open Script Editor on your machine and run this one line:
                                    >
                                    > path to desktop as string
                                    >
                                    > Does the Result end with a colon? If not, what is the result?

                                    The result is:

                                    "Macintosh HD:Users:edward:Desktop:"

                                    Ends with a colon. I know: the problem doesn't make sense. But it exists.
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008
                                      I've posted an update to these two scripts (actually, only the applet for
                                      the SS volume has changed).

                                      > I've now had a chance to road test the scripts. My experience seems
                                      > to be similar to Edward's. First, while I can get a particular WP
                                      > document to change to Open With the OSX script, changing all such
                                      > documents through the Get Info dialog, has no effect. Once allocated
                                      > to the OSX script, that works and does open sheepshaver,

                                      I was able to change all documents by logging in with an admin
                                      account, using Onyx to update the Launch Services database (which I
                                      think I had to do only because I copied the startup disk from a PPC
                                      machine that had WP in Classic, to an Intel machine). I then logged
                                      back in to my user account and everything was fixed.

                                      Had to do it twice, though. OS 10.4.11.

                                      > but I then
                                      > get the flashing exclamation mark in the menu bar asking me to find
                                      > wordperfect on the sheepshaver volume.

                                      This is fixed. When you first run the ~Open WP Files applet on the SS
                                      volume, it may ask you to find WP. It will only do this once.

                                      It's best to double-click this applet after putting it in the SS system
                                      folder Startup Items folder. It will keep running and start up with SS
                                      in subsequent sessions.

                                      Update is in Files > Temporary Items.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 22, 2008
                                        John

                                        Thanks. I'm always logged in as Admin (10.5.5). I'll test run the new
                                        applets in the next few days.

                                        Geoff

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 5, 2008

                                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                                          > > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                                          > > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                                          > > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                                          > > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                                          > > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                                          > > files of the same type under OS X?
                                          >
                                          > This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                                          > be hard to do. Give me a week or two.

                                          This is now done. Download "Open WP files in OSX 0.3.zip" from the
                                          Temporary Items folder in the Files folder here.

                                          Let me know if anyone is still having problems with these.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 5, 2008
                                            First, trash version 0.2 of this applet and empty the trash. Also, if
                                            the WordPerfect application is on a mounted OSX volume, trash
                                            that too. Then unzip 0.3. You may have to log out and back in
                                            to see the WP document icons.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Oct 20, 2008
                                              The icons aren't appearing yet since the method I used was how
                                              Classic apps did it. OSX apps like this one, duh, do it differently.
                                              So give me another week or so. The upside is that we can use a
                                              completely new, high-definition icon for WP documents in the OSX
                                              Finder. Anyone have an idea for a new icon?

                                              John R.

                                              > > > I installed the script and it seems to be working without any problems.
                                              > > > Since I'm trying to make the integration of SS as seamless as possible,
                                              > > > I do have one item I'd like help with. I would like to change the icon
                                              > > > on all my WP documents to show as such on the UNIX side so I know
                                              > > > what they are before clicking on them (and then having the new
                                              > > > Open WP files script kick in). How does one change icon display for all
                                              > > > files of the same type under OS X?
                                              > >
                                              > > This is a matter of adding WP's icons to the Open Files applet, and won't
                                              > > be hard to do. Give me a week or two.
                                              >
                                              > This is now done. Download "Open WP files in OSX 0.3.zip" from the
                                              > Temporary Items folder in the Files folder here.
                                              >
                                              > Let me know if anyone is still having problems with these.
                                              >
                                              > John R.

                                            • Edward Mendelson
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 21, 2008

                                                > So give me another week or so. The upside is that we can use a
                                                > completely new, high-definition icon for WP documents in the OSX
                                                > Finder. Anyone have an idea for a new icon?

                                                Feel free to modify these, perhaps by adding an image of a document:

                                                http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#newicons