[wpmac] Re: Further integration of WP in SheepShaver with OSX

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008
      >ted_m_p_lee wrote:
      >
      >Associate a compiled version of that script with the WP doc type,
      >rather than WP itself.

      Great idea! I think this could be done in two steps:
      1. Save the script as an application (not a compiled script).
      2. In OS X, do Get Info on a WordPerfect document, change Open With
      to the script application, and click the Change All button.
      --

      Bob Stern
    • dirk goedseels
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008
        a) in AppleScript: Save As... and select filetype = application
        b) take a WP-file, cmd-I, Open with: <select your AppleScript> and
        push Change All...

        that should do the trick.

        brgds,
        Dirk

        On 18-aug-08, at 21:42, John Rethorst wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > (Associate a compiled
        > > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
        >
        > How do you do that?

      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
          >
          > > (Associate a compiled
          > > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
          >
          > How do you do that?

          I'm not at my Mac, so I don't remember some specifics that I'd be able
          to reconstruct if I were at it. First, you'd need to turn the
          applescript into an app -- I don't remember if the script editor can do
          that or if you have to use a third party app I have that does that sort
          of thing (I've used it for shell scripts) -- OK a quick Google search
          indicates that the script editor can save a script as an app. Then use
          get info on a wp document and where it says what app to use to open it,
          choose the script application you just created and also tell get info
          to open all similar documents with that app. At least that's what I'd
          try.

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN
        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008
            On Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
            <jrethorst@...> wrote:

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...> wrote:
            >
            >> (Associate a compiled
            >> version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
            >
            >How do you do that?

            With an open handler and some Info.plist (and PkgInfo) changes in the
            app bundle (you'll have to save the script as an "Application
            bundle", which also has the added benefit of producing a Universal
            Binary).

            You'll want to add these three key sets (this is based on another
            app(let) I'd written). CFBundleTypeIconFile and CFBundleTypeName are
            optional. The MIME type, extension, and OSType should match all
            values for all supported file formats that you'd reasonably want WP
            to be the default for (WPG files are the only things missing, I
            think); if you want to use separate icons for each document type,
            simply duplicate that dict and have each dict's subkeys only handle
            one document type apiece. I stole Kevin's website to use in the
            CFBundleIdentifier because com.yahoo.groups isn't very useful, but if
            you have your own domain, it should be the first part of the bundle
            ID; the second part should be some form of the app name.
            CFBundleSignature needs to be valid and unique, and the second 4
            characters in the app's PkgInfo file must match.

            <key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
            <array>
            <dict>
            <key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
            <array>
            <string>wpd</string>
            <string>wp</string>
            <string>wp5</string>
            <string>wp6</string>
            </array>
            <key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
            <string>wpdoc.icns</string>
            <key>CFBundleTypeMIMETypes</key>
            <array>
            <string>application/vnd.wordperfect</string>
            <string>application/vnd.wordperfect5.1</string>
            <string>application/wordperfect5.1</string>
            <string>application/vnd.wordperfect6.1</string>
            </array>
            <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
            <string>WordPerfect Document</string>
            <key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
            <array>
            <string>WPD4</string>
            <string>WPD3</string>
            <string>WPD2</string>
            <string>.WP6</string>
            <string>.WP5</string>
            <string>WPPC</string>
            </array>
            <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
            <string>Editor</string>
            <key>LSIsAppleDefaultForType</key>
            <true/>
            </dict>
            </array>

            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.macwp.wp-sheepshaver-helper</string>

            <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
            <string>WPSH</string>

            After getting this all set up, you'll have to update your
            LaunchServices database's entries for the app in order to test it
            (users downloading the final app won't, thankfully).

            John, if this gets mangled by the group, I can send you the .plist
            snippets off-list. I posted this here because others in the group
            may be interested in doing the same sort of thing with AppleScript
            apps they write....

            Smokey
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008

              Nice! Thanks for your help.

              Now we'll able to find a WP doc (searching for name, body text or
              metadata) with Spotlight and just open it, or just double-click it in
              the Finder and open it, in SheepShaver.

              Look for this here shortly.