Re: Further integration of WP in SheepShaver with OSX

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008

      > (Associate a compiled
      > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)

      How do you do that?

      John R.
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008
        >ted_m_p_lee wrote:
        >
        >Associate a compiled version of that script with the WP doc type,
        >rather than WP itself.

        Great idea! I think this could be done in two steps:
        1. Save the script as an application (not a compiled script).
        2. In OS X, do Get Info on a WordPerfect document, change Open With
        to the script application, and click the Change All button.
        --

        Bob Stern
      • dirk goedseels
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008
          a) in AppleScript: Save As... and select filetype = application
          b) take a WP-file, cmd-I, Open with: <select your AppleScript> and
          push Change All...

          that should do the trick.

          brgds,
          Dirk

          On 18-aug-08, at 21:42, John Rethorst wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > (Associate a compiled
          > > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
          >
          > How do you do that?

        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
            >
            > > (Associate a compiled
            > > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
            >
            > How do you do that?

            I'm not at my Mac, so I don't remember some specifics that I'd be able
            to reconstruct if I were at it. First, you'd need to turn the
            applescript into an app -- I don't remember if the script editor can do
            that or if you have to use a third party app I have that does that sort
            of thing (I've used it for shell scripts) -- OK a quick Google search
            indicates that the script editor can save a script as an app. Then use
            get info on a wp document and where it says what app to use to open it,
            choose the script application you just created and also tell get info
            to open all similar documents with that app. At least that's what I'd
            try.

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN
          • Smokey Ardisson
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008
              On Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
              <jrethorst@...> wrote:

              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...> wrote:
              >
              >> (Associate a compiled
              >> version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
              >
              >How do you do that?

              With an open handler and some Info.plist (and PkgInfo) changes in the
              app bundle (you'll have to save the script as an "Application
              bundle", which also has the added benefit of producing a Universal
              Binary).

              You'll want to add these three key sets (this is based on another
              app(let) I'd written). CFBundleTypeIconFile and CFBundleTypeName are
              optional. The MIME type, extension, and OSType should match all
              values for all supported file formats that you'd reasonably want WP
              to be the default for (WPG files are the only things missing, I
              think); if you want to use separate icons for each document type,
              simply duplicate that dict and have each dict's subkeys only handle
              one document type apiece. I stole Kevin's website to use in the
              CFBundleIdentifier because com.yahoo.groups isn't very useful, but if
              you have your own domain, it should be the first part of the bundle
              ID; the second part should be some form of the app name.
              CFBundleSignature needs to be valid and unique, and the second 4
              characters in the app's PkgInfo file must match.

              <key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
              <array>
              <dict>
              <key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
              <array>
              <string>wpd</string>
              <string>wp</string>
              <string>wp5</string>
              <string>wp6</string>
              </array>
              <key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
              <string>wpdoc.icns</string>
              <key>CFBundleTypeMIMETypes</key>
              <array>
              <string>application/vnd.wordperfect</string>
              <string>application/vnd.wordperfect5.1</string>
              <string>application/wordperfect5.1</string>
              <string>application/vnd.wordperfect6.1</string>
              </array>
              <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
              <string>WordPerfect Document</string>
              <key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
              <array>
              <string>WPD4</string>
              <string>WPD3</string>
              <string>WPD2</string>
              <string>.WP6</string>
              <string>.WP5</string>
              <string>WPPC</string>
              </array>
              <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
              <string>Editor</string>
              <key>LSIsAppleDefaultForType</key>
              <true/>
              </dict>
              </array>

              <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
              <string>com.macwp.wp-sheepshaver-helper</string>

              <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
              <string>WPSH</string>

              After getting this all set up, you'll have to update your
              LaunchServices database's entries for the app in order to test it
              (users downloading the final app won't, thankfully).

              John, if this gets mangled by the group, I can send you the .plist
              snippets off-list. I posted this here because others in the group
              may be interested in doing the same sort of thing with AppleScript
              apps they write....

              Smokey
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008

                Nice! Thanks for your help.

                Now we'll able to find a WP doc (searching for name, body text or
                metadata) with Spotlight and just open it, or just double-click it in
                the Finder and open it, in SheepShaver.

                Look for this here shortly.