Re: Further integration of WP in SheepShaver with OSX

  • ted_m_p_lee
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 18 8:41 AM

      > I think I see a way to write an Applescript that will let us select a
      > WP document in the OSX Finder, then press a keystroke, and
      > have that document open in WP in SheepShaver.

      If you can do that, I'd think you'd also be able to have that script
      (or a similar one) run when you double-click on a WP document in OS X,
      so the integration is even more seamless. (Associate a compiled
      version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)

      Ted Lee
      Minnetonka, MN
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 18 12:42 PM

        > (Associate a compiled
        > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)

        How do you do that?

        John R.
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 18 1:30 PM
          >ted_m_p_lee wrote:
          >
          >Associate a compiled version of that script with the WP doc type,
          >rather than WP itself.

          Great idea! I think this could be done in two steps:
          1. Save the script as an application (not a compiled script).
          2. In OS X, do Get Info on a WordPerfect document, change Open With
          to the script application, and click the Change All button.
          --

          Bob Stern
        • dirk goedseels
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 18 9:12 PM
            a) in AppleScript: Save As... and select filetype = application
            b) take a WP-file, cmd-I, Open with: <select your AppleScript> and
            push Change All...

            that should do the trick.

            brgds,
            Dirk

            On 18-aug-08, at 21:42, John Rethorst wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > (Associate a compiled
            > > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
            >
            > How do you do that?

          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 19 8:07 AM

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
              >
              > > (Associate a compiled
              > > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
              >
              > How do you do that?

              I'm not at my Mac, so I don't remember some specifics that I'd be able
              to reconstruct if I were at it. First, you'd need to turn the
              applescript into an app -- I don't remember if the script editor can do
              that or if you have to use a third party app I have that does that sort
              of thing (I've used it for shell scripts) -- OK a quick Google search
              indicates that the script editor can save a script as an app. Then use
              get info on a wp document and where it says what app to use to open it,
              choose the script application you just created and also tell get info
              to open all similar documents with that app. At least that's what I'd
              try.

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN
            • Smokey Ardisson
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 19 9:00 AM
                On Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
                <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...> wrote:
                >
                >> (Associate a compiled
                >> version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
                >
                >How do you do that?

                With an open handler and some Info.plist (and PkgInfo) changes in the
                app bundle (you'll have to save the script as an "Application
                bundle", which also has the added benefit of producing a Universal
                Binary).

                You'll want to add these three key sets (this is based on another
                app(let) I'd written). CFBundleTypeIconFile and CFBundleTypeName are
                optional. The MIME type, extension, and OSType should match all
                values for all supported file formats that you'd reasonably want WP
                to be the default for (WPG files are the only things missing, I
                think); if you want to use separate icons for each document type,
                simply duplicate that dict and have each dict's subkeys only handle
                one document type apiece. I stole Kevin's website to use in the
                CFBundleIdentifier because com.yahoo.groups isn't very useful, but if
                you have your own domain, it should be the first part of the bundle
                ID; the second part should be some form of the app name.
                CFBundleSignature needs to be valid and unique, and the second 4
                characters in the app's PkgInfo file must match.

                <key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
                <array>
                <dict>
                <key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
                <array>
                <string>wpd</string>
                <string>wp</string>
                <string>wp5</string>
                <string>wp6</string>
                </array>
                <key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
                <string>wpdoc.icns</string>
                <key>CFBundleTypeMIMETypes</key>
                <array>
                <string>application/vnd.wordperfect</string>
                <string>application/vnd.wordperfect5.1</string>
                <string>application/wordperfect5.1</string>
                <string>application/vnd.wordperfect6.1</string>
                </array>
                <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
                <string>WordPerfect Document</string>
                <key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
                <array>
                <string>WPD4</string>
                <string>WPD3</string>
                <string>WPD2</string>
                <string>.WP6</string>
                <string>.WP5</string>
                <string>WPPC</string>
                </array>
                <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
                <string>Editor</string>
                <key>LSIsAppleDefaultForType</key>
                <true/>
                </dict>
                </array>

                <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                <string>com.macwp.wp-sheepshaver-helper</string>

                <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
                <string>WPSH</string>

                After getting this all set up, you'll have to update your
                LaunchServices database's entries for the app in order to test it
                (users downloading the final app won't, thankfully).

                John, if this gets mangled by the group, I can send you the .plist
                snippets off-list. I posted this here because others in the group
                may be interested in doing the same sort of thing with AppleScript
                apps they write....

                Smokey
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 19 3:49 PM

                  Nice! Thanks for your help.

                  Now we'll able to find a WP doc (searching for name, body text or
                  metadata) with Spotlight and just open it, or just double-click it in
                  the Finder and open it, in SheepShaver.

                  Look for this here shortly.