WP in SheepShaver in Windows

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2008
      Hi, Everyone.

      I had long wanted a satellite install of WP3.5ep on the PC's at the
      medical center where I work several days each week, rather than have to
      lug in my MacBook Pro, or PowerBook 1400, if I have that kind of work.
      ClarisWorks (Mac) 4 would work in SSWin, but WP would not even start up
      completely, UNTIL NOW.

      WP *works well* in the latest Windows build available on the eMaculation
      site. Keystrokes on the DOS/Win keyboard mostly work the way we would
      expect based on position, not label: alt works as our command key, the
      windows key usually does what option should, and control is of course
      control.

      If anyone else is interested in such an install, I will be happy to add
      more details of how I installed SS, then OS 8.6, then WP and some other
      things.

      Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2008
        Yes, please. Thank you.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
        wrote:

        > If anyone else is interested in such an install, I will be happy to add
        > more details of how I installed SS, then OS 8.6, then WP and some other
        > things.
      • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 2008
          Ed and Everyone, my successful WP install in SSWin is on a PC running
          Win2000 that is part of a large network.

          Most of the needed files are obtainable from links near the bottom of
          this page:

          http://gwenole.beauchesne.info//en/projects/sheepshaver#downloads

          including SSWin itself, and GTK+2 Runtime:

          http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/wfdownloads/

          It might be possible to start with the new SSWin build, here:

          http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/sheepshaver_09_08_2008.zip

          which includes a newer SDL.dll version, 1.2.10. I used the old build to
          install, then used the new SSWin with the already existing installation.
          Emaculation recommends doind as I did, however, and NOT starting with
          the new build. More info is at the emaculation site:

          http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5325&sid=832392b4298ac2724a332f4bc4eebf84

          Then the following download explains very clearly how to install SSWin,
          I pretty much followed all the directions in this help file:

          http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/~cogne/pub/site_perso/SheepShaver_Help/SheepShaver_Help_PC.pdf

          Since I had a working SS install already (with OS 8.6, WP, ClarisWorks
          4, and a few other things) on my MBP, I decided to transfer it pretty
          much intact to SSWin, thus. First making certain that SS was not
          running, I opened the SS disk (which has the .dmg file extension) in
          OSX, selected all in the window, and copied it all (via drag and drop)
          into the main Toast window, for burning onto a hybrid (Mac/PC) data
          CD-RW (CD-R would work too, of course). Once burned, this CD contains
          the System Folder and all other files and folders that my original SS
          disk has.

          After the new SSWin build is unzipped, a Mac OS ROM file needs to be
          added to the SS folder, and additional files need to be installed,
          including cdenable.sys and gtk-win32. All this is detailed in the
          above-mentioned help file.

          Then, the Mac OS install CD should be inserted into the PC's drive, then
          SheepShaver GUI run. I used SheepShaver GUI to create a 500 MB disk I
          named Mac_OS, did the rest of the GUI configuration as described in the
          help file (not a very different process from the configuration in ISX;
          make sure you enable CD's and make sure you enable My Computer), booted
          SS with the OS 8.6 install CD already in the PC's drive, installed 8.6
          onto the newly created disk, hen quit SS (same shutdown procedure as on
          Mac OSX, using the Shut Down command in the Special menu).

          Then I removed the OS CD and replaced it with the CD-RW I had burned. I
          reopened SS GUI to create another new disk, this one 1G in size, named
          (with my usual startling originality) gigdisk. I set SS up in the GUI
          to boot from Mac_OS (by listing it first in the main window) but also to
          open gigdisk (by listing it second). I started SS, and after Mac_OS
          completed its boot process there was a dialog box asking whether to
          initialize gigdisk. I clicked OK, and once gigdisk had been
          initialized, both virtual disks and the CD-RW appeared mounted on the OS
          8.6 desktop.

          from there it was simple. I opened the CD-RW, selected all the files in
          the window, and copied them (by dragging and dropping) onto gigdisk. I
          then dismounted the CD-RW (though that may not have been a necessary
          step) and again shut down SS. I removed the CD-RW from the drive. I
          reopened the GUi and switched the positions of the disks, gigdisk on top
          to make it the boot disk now, since it has a System Folder and
          everything (you can use the mouse to move items around in the GUI list).
          When I restarted SS, gigdisk booted and gave me the familiar Mac
          environment and features.

          The old SSWin build worked to this point, but WP did not. At this point
          I would shut down, and restart using the new SSWin build. WP works on
          my install of this new build, as does ClarisWorks.

          I find it interesting that the alt key on a Win keyboard takes over the
          functions of our command ("apple") key, probably because it is the key
          immediately to the left of the space bar. The Windows key acts like our
          option key, and control is control. What is strange, though, is that by
          default, the arrow keys and Home and End type numbers instead of
          navigating the cursor -- as if you were typing on the numeric keypad.
          In WP it is enough to disable NumLock (by entering shift-escape) to make
          the arrow keys etc. work normally. I have not been able to defeat this
          in the Finder or in other apps, though. Shutting off NumLock on the Win
          keyboard itself does not work.

          Transferring files into and out of SSWin is a little different.
          When I open the My Computer icon on the Mac desktop, I get a Mac Finder
          window with 3 folders labeled with Windows drive names: C, D, and E.
          These are, respectively, the PC's HD, the CD drive, and any removable
          disk. I have been using a (1G or 2G) DOS-formatted thumb drive for
          transferring files to and from the hospital PC's , and these drives are
          easily accessed by SS by opening the folder icon labeled E. I just drag
          and drop files, or folders, between the E drive folder window and Finder
          folders in the Mac OS. I can save files or folders to the C drive as
          well, but there is too much stuff on the C drive for navigating deep
          into the folder in SS without long delays.

          I have been using DropStuff (for which I still have a paid registration
          from years ago) right in SS to make .sit files of anything I want to
          transfer. Without something like DropStuff, files lose their metadata
          when passing through non-Mac file systems. I'm told zipping works
          nearly as well. Even old versions of Stuffit Expander will open zipped
          as well as stuffed files.

          Of course, if I want to use something on the PC that I have been working
          on in WP, I save the WP file onto the C drive as RTF or a Word 6 file,
          and can then use it in WordWin. Another thing I have not tried but
          would probably work is using Adobe_PS or the LaserWriter driver to make
          a .ps file, then saving that to the thumb drive to convert to PDF and/or
          print on my Mac later. If Windows has any way of converting PostScript
          files into anything else, though, I have not found it.

          Since there is no equivalent in Windows for opening the SS disk in OSX
          and running Disk Utility on it, I keep the Mac_OS around to boot from it
          if I need to run Disk First Aid (which will not repair the current
          startup disk) on gigdisk.

          Hope this helps. I plan to put the NumLock question to the emaculation
          forum, since it seems that many of them have worked with SSWin as well
          as SS for OSX.

          I'm getting work done without always having to carry a Mac laptop with
          me. It's also a trip to be running my favorite Mac programs on a PC.

          Tom