Further integration of WP in SheepShaver with OSX

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 16, 2008
      I think I see a way to write an Applescript that will let us select a
      WP document in the OSX Finder, then press a keystroke, and
      have that document open in WP in SheepShaver.

      I keep my WP files in the Documents folder of my Home folder,
      and have SS's Unix folder set to that Documents folder. Since
      we have a Spotlight plugin, we can find a WP document in OSX
      quickly. Once Spotlight finds it, command-click on its title in
      the Spotlight menu to reveal it in the Finder, selected. Press the
      keystroke to run the script, and SheepShaver activates, and
      the file opens.

      We can already select a word in WP and run a script to look that
      word up in the OSX Oxford dictionary, or select a URL in a WP
      document and run a script to open the URL in Safari or your
      default browser. We can print to paper and PDF easily.

      It appears WP with SheepShaver is integrating very well with OSX.

      John R.
    • Smokey Ardisson
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 17, 2008
        On Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:42 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
        <jrethorst@...> wrote:

        >I think I see a way to write an Applescript that will let us select a
        >WP document in the OSX Finder, then press a keystroke, and
        >have that document open in WP in SheepShaver.

        If you can do that, and depending on exactly how that works, I ought
        to be able to supply a couple of lines of AppleScript and a bunch of
        Info.plist keys to enable double-click support....

        Smokey
      • ted_m_p_lee
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008

          > I think I see a way to write an Applescript that will let us select a
          > WP document in the OSX Finder, then press a keystroke, and
          > have that document open in WP in SheepShaver.

          If you can do that, I'd think you'd also be able to have that script
          (or a similar one) run when you double-click on a WP document in OS X,
          so the integration is even more seamless. (Associate a compiled
          version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)

          Ted Lee
          Minnetonka, MN
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008

            > (Associate a compiled
            > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)

            How do you do that?

            John R.
          • Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008
              >ted_m_p_lee wrote:
              >
              >Associate a compiled version of that script with the WP doc type,
              >rather than WP itself.

              Great idea! I think this could be done in two steps:
              1. Save the script as an application (not a compiled script).
              2. In OS X, do Get Info on a WordPerfect document, change Open With
              to the script application, and click the Change All button.
              --

              Bob Stern
            • dirk goedseels
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 18, 2008
                a) in AppleScript: Save As... and select filetype = application
                b) take a WP-file, cmd-I, Open with: <select your AppleScript> and
                push Change All...

                that should do the trick.

                brgds,
                Dirk

                On 18-aug-08, at 21:42, John Rethorst wrote:

                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > (Associate a compiled
                > > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
                >
                > How do you do that?

              • ted_m_p_lee
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > (Associate a compiled
                  > > version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
                  >
                  > How do you do that?

                  I'm not at my Mac, so I don't remember some specifics that I'd be able
                  to reconstruct if I were at it. First, you'd need to turn the
                  applescript into an app -- I don't remember if the script editor can do
                  that or if you have to use a third party app I have that does that sort
                  of thing (I've used it for shell scripts) -- OK a quick Google search
                  indicates that the script editor can save a script as an app. Then use
                  get info on a wp document and where it says what app to use to open it,
                  choose the script application you just created and also tell get info
                  to open all similar documents with that app. At least that's what I'd
                  try.

                  Ted Lee
                  Minnetonka, MN
                • Smokey Ardisson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008
                    On Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
                    <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                    >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> (Associate a compiled
                    >> version of that script with the WP doc type, rather than WP itself.)
                    >
                    >How do you do that?

                    With an open handler and some Info.plist (and PkgInfo) changes in the
                    app bundle (you'll have to save the script as an "Application
                    bundle", which also has the added benefit of producing a Universal
                    Binary).

                    You'll want to add these three key sets (this is based on another
                    app(let) I'd written). CFBundleTypeIconFile and CFBundleTypeName are
                    optional. The MIME type, extension, and OSType should match all
                    values for all supported file formats that you'd reasonably want WP
                    to be the default for (WPG files are the only things missing, I
                    think); if you want to use separate icons for each document type,
                    simply duplicate that dict and have each dict's subkeys only handle
                    one document type apiece. I stole Kevin's website to use in the
                    CFBundleIdentifier because com.yahoo.groups isn't very useful, but if
                    you have your own domain, it should be the first part of the bundle
                    ID; the second part should be some form of the app name.
                    CFBundleSignature needs to be valid and unique, and the second 4
                    characters in the app's PkgInfo file must match.

                    <key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
                    <array>
                    <dict>
                    <key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>
                    <array>
                    <string>wpd</string>
                    <string>wp</string>
                    <string>wp5</string>
                    <string>wp6</string>
                    </array>
                    <key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
                    <string>wpdoc.icns</string>
                    <key>CFBundleTypeMIMETypes</key>
                    <array>
                    <string>application/vnd.wordperfect</string>
                    <string>application/vnd.wordperfect5.1</string>
                    <string>application/wordperfect5.1</string>
                    <string>application/vnd.wordperfect6.1</string>
                    </array>
                    <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
                    <string>WordPerfect Document</string>
                    <key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
                    <array>
                    <string>WPD4</string>
                    <string>WPD3</string>
                    <string>WPD2</string>
                    <string>.WP6</string>
                    <string>.WP5</string>
                    <string>WPPC</string>
                    </array>
                    <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
                    <string>Editor</string>
                    <key>LSIsAppleDefaultForType</key>
                    <true/>
                    </dict>
                    </array>

                    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
                    <string>com.macwp.wp-sheepshaver-helper</string>

                    <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
                    <string>WPSH</string>

                    After getting this all set up, you'll have to update your
                    LaunchServices database's entries for the app in order to test it
                    (users downloading the final app won't, thankfully).

                    John, if this gets mangled by the group, I can send you the .plist
                    snippets off-list. I posted this here because others in the group
                    may be interested in doing the same sort of thing with AppleScript
                    apps they write....

                    Smokey
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 19, 2008

                      Nice! Thanks for your help.

                      Now we'll able to find a WP doc (searching for name, body text or
                      metadata) with Spotlight and just open it, or just double-click it in
                      the Finder and open it, in SheepShaver.

                      Look for this here shortly.